“Simply awesome”

Ranked #2 of 103 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Kampala Serena is one of my favorite hotels in Africa! From the pickup at the airport, to the rooms, the gym and the restaurants, everything about this hotel is excellent. The gym is actually one of the best I've seen on the continent. The rooms are top quality, and the three restaurants are impeccable! From the moment you enter the building, you already realize that this place is in a league of its own. Also, just like at all other Serena Hotels, the staff are almost excessively service minded.

Room Tip: Always make sure you get a room facing the garden.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Håvar B
SerenaHotels, General Manager at Kampala Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Mr. Bauck,

We are very humbled by your AMAZING! rating and glad that we were able to exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment and we assure you of our continuous commitment to always make your stay with us the most relaxed and a comfortable.

I thank you once again for your patronage of our hotel and I do look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Kampala.

There are newer reviews for Kampala Serena Hotel

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I frequently travel to various African nations on business and have a pretty good read on reasonable expectations of the African hotel scene. The Serena Kampala surpasses most of my expectations. Arrival was a smooth experience, from the airport pick-up, to a friendly and efficient check-in. I was shown to a nice room with a good view. It was fairly close to the elevator but I was never bothered by hallway noise. The bathroom was spacious and stocked with high end amenities. During my 10 day stay I tried all the restaurants and room service. I recommend you pay a bit more to eat at the "Pearl of Africa"--it was a worthy indulgence and I was treated like royalty despite being a single diner. The fitness area makes for a great workout and pool area is very nice as well. Unlike many hotels, it's a bit tucked away from the main areas, and while it has bar, you don't have hundreds of people stare at you if you take a dip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank traveltheworldusa

Our esteemed guest,

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had a wedding in this hotel all I can say its a very fantastic place to be. I loved their garden with a themed river through it, and the plants they incorporated. The hotel looks great and executive, if looks are anything to go by this hotel is super luxury, rich. The atmosphere is wonderfully enjoyable and very relaxing.
The food was perfect and we all had our full, I love their deco. The staff were warm friendly and polite

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Uganda-Trek

Our esteemed guest,

We are very humbled by your AMAZING! rating and glad that we were able to exceed your expectations during your recent wedding celebration.

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment and i assure you of our continuous commitment to always make your visit or stay with us most relaxed and a comfortable.

I thank you once again and I do look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Kampala.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This was my fourth trip to Kampala. I had always stayed at the Sheraton so when the client mentioned this hotel I was a bit skeptical.

I had no reason to worry. From the moment we drove through the landscaped property and walked into the lobby I knew I was in for a pleasant stay. Everyone from the security, doorman, front desk staff and housekeeping are pleasant and professional.

The rooms are clean and well appointed. The bathrooms are spacious with a full-sized tub and a shower enclosure.

The internet was pretty solid with a few dropouts but nothing major. Plus it's free. If you are using the attached conference center the WiFi network extends over there so you are always connected.

The restaurant is excellent. The staff and chefs really do an excellent job of accommodating any palate. The a la carte menu is always available plus there is usually a themed buffet (try the Asian-themed buffet. Perfection!)

Overall I have nothing bad to say. This hotel will stack up with any 4-star hotel in the first world. The fact that it's in Africa makes me give an extra star. The management of this property are to be commended.

Room Tip: When in Uganda do not stay anywhere but here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RobertStewartJA
SerenaHotels, General Manager at Kampala Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Mr. Stewart

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Kampala Serena Hotel as your preferred place of residence during your resent visit to Kampala.

We are very delighted to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations of a “Five Star” Hotel in all aspects. I assure you of our continuous commitment to always make your stay with us the most relaxed and a comfortable

I thank you once again for taking time to leave a very positive and energizing comment, I do look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Kampala.

Kind Regards,

Anthony Chege,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

A great hotel to stay in the center of Kampala. It has a very good appeal to the eyes especially the beautiful landscape and the water fountains. The rooms are in very good condition and also have a homely touch i.e. not too artificial. The internet speeds are way above average and I could comfortably do most of my work in the room. The service from the staff was prompt and excellent. I had an issue with the bath tub and within 10 mins the problem was resolved! Wifi connectivity in the other locations of the hotel were fast and swift. The food was fantastic with a variety of choices. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Kampala.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ChrispusNzano
SerenaHotels, General Manager at Kampala Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Mr. Nzano,

We highly appreciate you taking time to rate us and share your AMAZING! comments about you recent stay with us. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We assure you of our continuous commitment to always make your stay most relaxed and comfortable.

We do look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Kampala.

Kampala Serena Hotel.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The hotel was so nice with lovely rooms and compound made us forget that it was conviniently located in between the city (up town) which is more organised than the down town which is more chaotic but still safe for the locals...
And the hotel view of kampala was fair atleast up to 180' which i did not expected..
Gen.Iddi Amin and Dr. Apollo Milton Obote R.I.P(i heard that they are the ones who constructed it in their regimes,,if not clear me please!)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Amon T
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel is an oasis of quality and comfort in a city which is mostly poor. The staff are courteous, friendly and polite, and the rooms are top quality as is the service. The swimming pool was also lovely but some chemicals in the water turned my daughter's hair green! The management did provide a bottle of wine with one dinner in compensation. There were issues with paying with a credit card on checking out, but I think this was more African than the hotel. Other than the pool, it was a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family