WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #2 of 93 Hotels in Kampala
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is amazing! there are 4+ places to eat on site plus 24/7 room service. The food is healthy and tasty. Internet is included and pretty good. there is also a 24 hour business center that is well staffed.
The hotel has a separate conference center. A really nice spa. As well the gym is definitely the best hotel gym that I have ever seen. There is a trainer onsite to assist as well, the gym has at least 2 classes per day Mon-Friday.
Rooms are kept clean and well maintained. Pool is gorgeous.
Service was beyond belief.
on the downside, excessively posh especially for a development worker, which the hotel seems to cater to largely. My colleague had an interesting incident when one of the hotel staff showed up at her room late at night to ask if she needed turn down service.
Otherwise, I would recommend this hotel for its location, customer service and great amenities.

Room Tip: Also try Pearl of Africa restaurant in the hotel on the 2nd level.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
Cranbrook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had a very quick stop-over in Kampala for a business event. After 5 nights at the Serena Nairobi, I was definitely impressed by Kampala. The have an incredibly large property, which allows for fantastic grounds, pools, recreation facilities, and other amenities. However, other elements which you would expect to be similar, such as rooms and service, were also a step-up from Nairobi or Mombasa Serena. The room was larger, but yet cleaner and more modern. I was also impressed by the exceptional quite in the rooms; no noise from outside, the elevators, or other rooms. A very nice place to get a good night’s sleep as a result. As I mentioned, no complaints whatsoever. I also always appreciate a hotel that has taxis available all the time, and can charge the room directly, which often makes things simpler when on a rushed trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MoritzS
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Ate and drank here in November on business. Dined at the Italian restaurant where I was served an extremely poor spaghetti carbonara which in fairness they did replace with a pizza when I sent it back after a few mouthfuls. The manager came out and they dealt with it very well, but a really poor dish was on the menu in the first place.

Before that, I had a very pleasant couple of drinks by the poolside. A good place to escape from the very shabby hotel my work had placed me in!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RM1979
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed in Kampala twice, once at this hotel and once at another due to a 5am flight. This would be our choice in Kampala. Clean comfortable rooms, wonderful pillows! It was an easy check in, we had a lovely dinner in one of the restaurants, and a fabulous breakfast the next morning. We only wished we could have stayed longer to enjoy the property, the pool, the beautiful grounds. All in all lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Muscat
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel is in the business area of kampala.

My wife and myself stayed for 3 nights in Kampala serena hotel in december 2012. When we arrived late at 9pm from Kigale, the saga started. Our booking was not there despite me having confirmation number from the serena website. The poor receptionist could not find our booking and i had to show her from my Ipad. That was not enough. I had to email to her and his manager and finally after one hour we got a room

the suite we stayed was excellent and had all the amenities and a working desk, with nice settings. The garden and the swimming pool is one of the best i have ever seen. You should spend sometime admiring these facilities and use them

There are many restaurants to choose and all of them have good food. However, the service needs to be improved. it took 2 hrs to get an empty cup (they forgot to leave coffee cups)

Apart from booking mishap, the hotel is highly recommended and will stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms with garden view higher floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kwamtoro
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at Serena Kampala because its one of our cooperate appointed hotel. All was well until I had dinner on my last night.
I feel so sick.
The next 48 hours were longest of my life as I prepared to depart.
I loved Serena so much but my experience with the food has made me never want to go back there again.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Travelled to Kampala on a business trip. Arrived very late (0500) after the airline had lost my luggage. Hotel staff was very friendly and helped me replace all of my sundry items and then helped me get my luggage back. The restaurants were wonderful, much more enjoyable than I had expected going in. My experience at the Serena was the highlight on my trip and I would truly recommend in to anyone traveling to Kampala.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business