“Be careful with the food”

Kampala Serena Hotel
Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Kampala
Nairobi, Kenya
“Be careful with the food”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at Serena Kampala because its one of our cooperate appointed hotel. All was well until I had dinner on my last night.
I feel so sick.
The next 48 hours were longest of my life as I prepared to depart.
I loved Serena so much but my experience with the food has made me never want to go back there again.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Travelled to Kampala on a business trip. Arrived very late (0500) after the airline had lost my luggage. Hotel staff was very friendly and helped me replace all of my sundry items and then helped me get my luggage back. The restaurants were wonderful, much more enjoyable than I had expected going in. My experience at the Serena was the highlight on my trip and I would truly recommend in to anyone traveling to Kampala.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife and low expectations due to the fact that the Hotel is located in the sub-shaaran Africa. we were wrong. By the time we left we had a different opinion. The srevices were excellent. The compound and other facilities were wonderfully tailored. The whole set up is a triller. One should take time and pay a visit there and enjoy the unique services. fresh foods, natural vegetation and many more. Much, much more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ojara F
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were there with the UNF Shot@Life team and I was very impressed with the oasis scenery, security and friendly staff that welcomed us as soon we arrived. Loved the ambiance, wonderful view of the gardens and patio. Big spacious halls; the colorful clothing of the staff and the service. The breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were outstanding ranging from traditional dishes for the adventurous eaters to a variety of well known dishes for every kind of taste palate. The array of deserts was very tempting. My room was spacious with exceptional view and well decorated. The bed was very comfortable, the linens were clean and the bath tub was huge. Great lighting and exceptional detail in personal touch. I was pleasantly surprised with fresh red roses in the coffee table and bathroom. Also a welcome message with my name on the TV screen. The views of the gardens were lovely. Everyone we encountered throughout our stay was unfailingly pleasant, helpful, and accommodating. The internet work great and I had an excellent time there.

Room Tip: Call in advance to make reservations and make sure to call the front desk if you need anything.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Napanee, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband, my daughter and I recently spent 8 days at this lovely and elegant hotel. We had traveled to Kampala for our Canadian son's wedding to a Ugandan girl, and thus, needed to be in Kampala for both, the traditional "Kwanjula" as well as the civil wedding ceremony and reception. Mid-way through our stay, we checked out (storing our baggage) to do a 4-day safari to Murchison Falls. Thus, we really had two individual stays, in the space of 12 days. We made our reservations, for two adjoining/adjacent rooms, almost a year in advance, and we made them directly with the hotel, rather than through a travel agency or tour operator. On arrival, all was in order - no unpleasant surprises or glitches! Our rooms were exceptionally spacious, well-appointed and well-decorated, with exceptionally comfortable beds, outstanding linens, exceptional cleanliness. The views especially at the front are lovely, of the gardens. The staff - from the driver who picked us up at the airport, to the staff at the front door, the staff at the front desk, the dining room staff, housekeeping, laundry, spa, pool staff - everyone we encountered, was throughout our stay, unfailingly pleasant, helpful, and accommodating. The pool area and fitness centre are superb, as was the spa. Given our short, but very busy stay, we felt that the "Serena" truly lived up to its name, giving us the peace and restful environment we needed before returning home to busy professional and personal lives in Canada. We were surprised at the very reasonable pricing (relative to other hotels in its class throughout the world) which included a breakfast buffet which had nothing to be desired. Because of our busy schedule, we chose the convenience of dining in the hotel - and in this regard found the buffet, especially the outdoor patio, to be outstanding. To put our perspectives into further context: We are professional people (60-year-old lawyer, 60-year-old investment and insurance broker, 24-year-old contract analyst also a single young woman) and our experience as travelers has included Fairmont hotels and resorts, Starwood hotels and resorts, various "boutique" hotels recommended by Rick Steeves, luxury cruises - throughout North America, the UK, Europe, as well as in Asia and in Australia. We strongly recommend this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inside of the three-sided gardens have the best views - but rooms at the back are i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mjdowney
Hillerod, Denmark
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here at Kampala. I stayed here around 10 days and during my stay i got super good service. There is 3 restuarants, and the food here is very good, even though there was days the meat wasnt tender or kinda funny looking, the staff had no problems helping you out giving you a replacement dish (mostly i was very satisfied and came back the next day).

The room service was super, they cleaned the room but allso added additional service at night where they prepared the room for sleeping by making the bed, provide additional Water and so on.

The reception was very helpfull and understanding if you had any requests.

The pool was great.The Poolservice was sometimes slow but all in all, this was a minor detail - you just get used to the high servicelevel.

They have a very nice fitness and lockerroom, so remember to bring your sneakers.

Of minor drawbacks the roomkey sometimes did not work, so i had to go to the reception to get it reprogrammed (i did this 5 times during my stay).

I would have have gived Kampala 5 stars, but even though i had prebooked the room, they where fully booked on my first night so i had to stay at a neighboor hotel which was a very low standard. Kampala did compensate by giving my a room upgrade and a complementary dinner - even though i got these extra services it is not acceptable to burden the guest to move hotel late during the night.

The Wireless did not Work in my room - i either had to go on the balcony or use wired connection in the room.

I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hamburg
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel is very well maintained and feels quite glamorous also offering excellent food. The rooms are spacious and nicely equipped. The pool facilities are huge. Restaurant prices are still reasonable for being a five star hotel. There is also a café with great choice and selection. Banks, shopping centers and more restaurants are close and within a short walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple