“Old World escape” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 92 Hotels in Kampala
London
“Old World escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I had heard a lot about the hotel over the years and had been for lunch a few times, but only recently stayed there. I decided to spend a couple of nights here after a long stint working in the bush, in need of some r&r, and this was the perfect place.

The hotel has been laid out on different levels, and although I had the cheapest type of room, which was relatively small it was extremely comfortable and well laid out, with everything you could need.

The grounds are beautiful and they have created a tropical oasis is what is quite a dirty, noisy part of Kampala. A great escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. I have heard that the spa is also very good, but did not have time to try it out.

The restaurant is also very good - the food was delicious and beautifully presented and the staff always professional and efficient.

Is not as 'polished' as the Serena, but has alot more atmosphere and I had a very pleasant stay and hope to return.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank WildOl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kampala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I hadn't really appreciated that it was possible to review restaurants on TA. So I hadn't thought about doing this until now. I was seated in the hotel lobby for the second time this week, soaking up the wonderful "old world" ambience, reflecting on our 25th wedding anniversary dinner last year..

We had a private room with terrace overlooking the garden, for 20 guests, and the adjoining lounge room. We had truly excellent service, a superb menu to my choice - adjusted by the chef - and I don't really think I could have found anywhere more intimate and special to celebrate something so important, with close friends and family.

So I have put this review here, rather than the Fez Brasserie link, because the event took place in the main hotel building.

I have 2 regrets about the Emin Pasha. 1. I want it transported to another place, where I take tea on a verandah and overlook the waterhole... and 2. It is only 10 minutes from home. So staying there is very difficult to justify.

It is definitely an oasis in the city.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ShellyRM
Juba, South Sudan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was expecting a little more attention to detail at this hotel. The setting of the hotel, with it's lovely garden, swimming pool and restaurant/bar was everything I expected, and I had some lovely lazy days relaxing. However, little things made the stay frustrating, particularly the difficulty with internet connection. Only in the bar could you get WiFi otherwise you could only have one computer connected through a cable in the bedroom. The hotel was not quiet, particularly in the mornings over the weekend, every morning we were woken early by the staff cleaning. The food was hit and miss in quality and taste, particularly breakfast and the service generally was not very intelligent. Not recommended I'm afraid, I'm sure there is better places in Kampala for the price.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanna W
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

The Emin Pasha Hotel has everything you can expect from a first class hotel. The rooms are very nice and have a unique taste, every detail is taken care of. If you prefer a colonial style hotel with charm and love to the detail, this is the right address to stay. Service is very good and people do everything for a nice stay. The restaurant is exquisite and food is good, also if you are into good wine, the wine card fulfills every wish. After all a thumb up for a relaxed and beautiful stay in Kampala.
Cheers,
Alex K.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank LHonTour
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

No hot water every morning of our stay, one night no turn down service which meant no clean towels, extremely slow service in the dining area (although we had ordered, had to miss breakfast our last day as our driver was there)... although the staff did seem to try, and were friendly.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CAKathryn
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I have travelled across Africa extensively over the last 10 years, so I am very familiar with the general standard and choice of accommodation on offer. Emin Pasha has always stood out as one of the most unique boutique hotels I had ever stayed at anywhere in the world - setting, service and overall sense of style were world class. My expectations were matched over more than 3 different stays. I am afraid that all of the above no longer applies to the Emin Pasha. Having just returned from Kampala I was due to stay for 2 nights, but had to leave after the first. We checked in without being told that the entire hotel was experiencing water problems, so a cold shower it was. This was topped off by lights not working in the bathroom and the constant sounds of grinding from a neighbouring construction site!!! When the problems were reported to reception I was told that nothing could be done. After a very cold start to the day we went to breakfast that was due to start at 7, nothing was setup, we ordered off a set menu, 10 minutes later we were informed that the salmon had run out - not sure who had eaten it as we were the first to arrive, there was also no muesli - basic ingredients for breakfast. I noted my issues with reception and asked the manager to please call. At 10:30 I had still not received a call, I phoned back and was told that the manager had not even come in as yet. The hotel did offer a discount as compensation, but overall we were left with a bad taste. What’s even more confusing is that meals and accommodation are calculated at different exchange rates, have never experienced such a complicated system in all my travels – why not calculate all at the higher of the two rates and have a lot fewer confused guests? After making a few enquiries I have learnt that the hotel has changed hands and is now owned by a Sudanese owner. Overall the entire experience has changed, if you are looking for that little stylish oasis of calm in the bustle of Kampala - you better look elsewhere, it’s no longer found at the Emin Pasha!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the neighboring construction