“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #13 of 102 Hotels in Kampala
Mid-West
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I stayed at the Fairway hotel for several weeks this year.
We negotiated a low rate with management and it was well worth what we paid. Everyone was incredibly nice and we always felt safe. The room and bathroom were older but comfortable. A/C. Large balcony. King size bed. Food was great. Location is awesome.
The negatives we ran into were that the cleaning staff started cleaning EARLY in the AM were not quiet, so if you're trying to sleep in forget it. Also, there were often parties being held on the weekend next door and it was quite noisy. There was nothing the hotel could do as it was not on their property but it didn't cause some trouble sleeping a couple of times. We had trouble with our water heater several times but the staff always got it fixed. Rooms and bathrooms could use updates for sure, but it is a clean, safe place to stay in a great location, with good food. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HaitiTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Orlando,Fl
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed there for a couple of nites and i enjoyed it. Its so close ro everything and the view of the Kololo Golf course was just great. I am coming to again this year and i plan to visit your location.

Bemba Kaye
2001 Rogers Ave
Maitland, Fl 32751 (USA)

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank bigsavi
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We stayed there for three nights, and I am glad to see the back of that place! The overall impression is of a management team that just don't care. If you are really stuck for somewhere to stay, then the Fairway is bearable, but it is very poor value for money (rack rate US$ 96 for a double) so please find somewhere else if you possibly can! Before I get down to the negatives, for context please note that I have stayed in many hotels in Africa over the last 10 years, including many which were MUCH cheaper than the Fairway, so I am comparing the Fairway with other African hotel experiences.

The negatives: (1) Bedrooms are dirty, bathrooms look at least 20 years old and grimy, the towels were the worst I have EVER used - used-to-be-white-20 years ago-but-now-grey, with brown stains, and the texture of sandpaper. In one room we stayed, the blankets were so dusty that we both had a coughing fit every time we turned over in bed. (2) Service was generally very poor and unfriendly. For example, one of their reservation staff had emailed me offering an incorrect discount price (lower than he was supposed to). Since I had it in writing and it was their mistake, I thought they should give me the agreed price anyway, but they were very rude and implied I was lying - and made me pay for the privilege of printing out the email they had sent me, which they demanded as proof!.

The only positive was the Indian food at their outside restaurant - amazingly good quality and cheap with it. So the restaurant is worth a visit, but please spend your night elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Eldoret
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We were at the hotel for christmas and there was nothing special.. in fact it was not worth the 96$ we paid per night.. we were met by a gloomy receptionist and the rooms are run down.. the bathroom taps were rusty and the bathtub was filthy.. the only service i was happy with was the restaurant.. the waiters were jolly and the food was lovely.. the hotel needs to improve on its services for a three star hotel . kenya is a place they can learn some tips from. A three star hotel in Kenya is ten times better!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed October 16, 2009

I travelled with a group of friends around East Africa to experience the culture. We visited Tanzania, Kenya, and Uganda. Although Uganda has a little less to do regarding animal life, the gorilla experience was out of this world and overall we found the country ad people in Uganda to be much more friendly and safe.

Our stay at the Fairway was very good overall. We were greeted by the friendly staff who took our bags. The Receptionist checked us in smoothly and we were showed to our room. The room was a good size and was very clean. It had a nice view of the gardens and fountain and was very quiet. I am not sure if this is new, I read from previous users that they had problems with hot water, but we all had our own water heaters in the room so all we had to do was turn it on when we wanted hot water…maybe it is a new thing but it is very convenient and a good way to save energy!

The grounds are absolutely beautiful, we really enjoyed sitting in the gardens and sun bathing. The garden café in the front of the hotel was also very tasty. It is situated under two huge trees and is a perfect place to read and meet people. The service is a little slower than what we are used to in the United States, but the quality of the food and portions were very generous. The price is also very reasonable but if you prefer, there is a huge mall a few minute walk away.

It is in an extremely safe area as well. We did not feel threatened once during our stay. If you need anything you just need to ask the front desk and they will organize it for you. We wanted to go into the city and they called a cab for us within seconds.
Overall a great stay at the Fairway. We had no problems with our stay. It is a much quieter Hotel unlike some of the others and we preferred it that way. I recommend you check it out!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelgirlamerica
toronto
Reviewed August 5, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from Aug 10- 24 /07. The room was nice with A/C , fridge Tv.
The hotel staff were very friendly/very nice people..There was hot water from 6am -8. am.
very nice service

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trimarkimpex
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 26, 2009

I was pleased with this hotel and did not experience any problems. The room was clean and amenities included free breakfast, tv, hot water, fridge and black out curtains. There is also a room with computers you can use (not free).

The location is good- not right in the center of Kampala but close. Taxis wait outside of the hotel and it is close to a mall (which has a big supermarket). The area around the hotel is much nicer than other parts of Kampala and very safe. I thought it was a good value would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends