“A home away from home”
Review of Fairway Hotel

Fairway Hotel
Ranked #13 of 105 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed August 24, 2006

Like any ordinary American, i knew little about Africa let alone Uganda where my wife hiails from. i loved the food veved the service with a smile.

Stayed: February 2004, traveled on business
1  Thank j2puff

Reviewed July 23, 2006

The most improved hotel ive seen!
i had been to this hotel before and was not very happy
i went back this year and was amazed at the changes i had great service the renovations applied look amazing. Also the new facilties are much improved! I took ideas for my hotel! Wondefully manged and a great stay! Food was incredible and the changes throughout the hotel are extremley immpressive!
By far the best hotel in Uganda. My number one choice for any travellers looking for a great welcoming stay!
i give this hotel 5 out of 5!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank travelfather
Dublin
Reviewed July 7, 2006

My stay in the Fairway Hotel was a mixed experience. The location was good, the room was comfortable, the TV worked, the breakfast buffet was quite tasty and the free airport shuttle was a bonus. Those positives aside, I had some concerns: the bathroom was grubby and dingy, the balcony sliding doors were not secure, the pool was dirty and one of the reception staff tried to rip me off when I wanted to exchange dollars. In African hotels, cleanliness and security are absolute MUSTs and I had my doubts... In addition the reception staff were totally unable to provide any local information on what to do, things to see etc. At $76 per night, I had expected a bit more. They are renovating right now, so perhaps things will improve in time.

Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2006

We stayed here at the start and end of our 10 day holiday and feel it was overall very good value for money. This is a good base for western Kampala and walking distance of the Sheraton (pick-ups for day trips) & town centre for exploring, although with 'Specials' (taxis) and 'Bodas' (motorbikes) so cheap, there's no need to walk.

Level of service varied from outstanding (Rose, the head of housekeeping checked our room personally and made recommendations for our visit) to poor (one disinterested receptionist). Also remember to take your own mosquito nets (or buy them in the nearby Garden City shopping centre for c. 21,000 shillings)

At $96 for a double room (c. £27 each), we got more than we expected with a nice en suite, good view, pool, gym & beauty suite, restaurant, bar and garden cafe. HOWEVER, the rooms are undergoing refurbishment and we had to switch twice (which they were very obliging about, upgrading us to a 2 room apartment once for no extra charge).

In my opinion, it is a good sign when the manager greets you personally and is interested in your trip and your opinion of their hotel. One last thing, e-mail booking was very efficient, check-out was more the traditional Ugandan pace!

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank ER1979
Reviewed February 27, 2006

I read the reviews on TripAdvisor before booking and *thought* it sounded great. I'll just get to the basics. I'm not a high maintanence traveller but I was really disappointed by the staff, mosquitoes, the hidden costs and the food.

I ordered room service twice and my travel companion and I got sick both times. I sent a pair of trousers to be cleaned and they did not do a great job. The breakfast in the morning was average with flies crawling all over the fruit and into the juices and water. The hotel staff was slow, rude and very unfriendly.

The restaurant would open later than posted. So, the barbeque place outside, where we attempted to eat one night, only had chicken skewers and refused to bring down other food options from the restuarant upstairs. They said we'd have to order food upstairs, bring it back down to the outside tables ourselves and then order separately from the bbq place if we wanted chicken. We both said forget it and went to another restaurant.

Lastly, there were no mosquito nets in the room. So we called and requested some. The front desk said they would bring them "soon." After a whole day of calling, they said they didn't have any but would bring bug spray. Our window had a huge gap in it so the bugs could just fly in anyway. We both had bites all over our arms and legs. In malaria country, that's just not acceptable.

The real kicker though came at checkout. The woman at the front desk took literally 30 mintues to check me out and my bill had room services charges that we did not order. They overcharged us for telephone calls and internet fees. Finally, there is a 5% fee assess (after all the taxes) to each bill if you pay with a credit card, which they did not tell us at check in or have any signs posted at the desk.

Go to the Mosa Court if you want a good experience for the money with a clean room that comes with air conditioning, in room internet and mosquito netting. I moved there after 5 days at the Fairway and was totally happy!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
15  Thank romarosie
london
Reviewed January 17, 2006

Hey...I took the advice from the guy from Boston and also stayed at the Fairway Hotel. I'm a big golfer and I must say that having the golf course basically across the street is a sweet deal. There’s a big mall near by with a movie theater, bowling, bar, and everything. I ate and drank most of the time in the hotel but there’s a lot to see out there as well.

The hotel is great. Great staff and pool. Good food and rooms.
I heard that they are also putting more money into the hotel with a new pool area and restaurants and stuff. To be honest, the gym isn’t much right now, but there renovating that as well soon.
I talked to one of the staff, and they said that they’re going to redo the entire menu and stuff and add some more Italian, Indian, Mexican, and American choices to their already full menu.

The greenery is amazing, beautiful nature everywhere. I tipped the staff early and they were sooo apreciative.

But yea I’d definitely stay there again.
I recomend it...GREAT PLACE
See ya

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 10, 2005

WOW is all I have to say about this amazing hotel. You wake up in the morning with that absolutely beautiful sunrise right outside your window and you can hear the colourful birds as they musically charm you awake.
You can then make your way to the complimentary breakfast and enjoy that as you sit in a restaurant surrounded by beautiful Ugandan nature…it’s as if the entire restaurant is floating in the trees.
The staff really do go out of their ways to make you feel so welcomed. I had an opportunity to speak to the manager and he is the kindest man ever.
I loved just sitting by the poolside and in the gardens reading my book and bathing in the sun. and ummm… can you say room service hahaha
The hotel is really close to everything and there are always taxis right outside the gates, waiting to take you anywhere you want to go. I played golf with my husband right across the street and it is absolutely amazing.
The hotel was definitely worth every penny and in fact I feel that they undercharge for what they offer compared to other hotels. The breakfast alone is worth like $10.
Definitely try this place out if you want to have a good, safe stay. We stayed in the new sweet because it was our anniversary and it was just amazing. The housemaids really went out of their way to please you.
Tip them a little every day and it’s totally worth it.
The Gym isn’t much but they even have a little business centre downstairs with free Internet, which my husband unfortunately needed to use time after time.
But overall this hotel really made out visit to Uganda special and I would without a doubt return.
Try it; I definitely know you’ll like it.

• Stayed: November 2005