“Nice Food”
Review of Fairway Hotel

Fairway Hotel
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed October 7, 2013

To start with the positive - the restaurant is nice - great curries, and the central garden is green and appealing, most of the staff are pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately the actual hotel is a bit of a disappointment - rooms are sparsely furnished, light is poor (very difficult to try to work), there is infrequent hot water, which is a lovely rust colour when it does flow. I'm not sure what the alternatives are like in Kampala, but compared to other major cities in the region, a bit too expensive for what is on offer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you chose to stay with Fairway Hotel and enjoyed our food. We apologize for your experience with some of our amenities. Fairway Hotel takes pride in serving customers for over forty years and we endeavor to continually improve our hotel facilities and service. Feedback helps us to work towards satisfying our customers expectations.
We hope you will return again to experience our improved services

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We spent just one night at Fairway, on arrival into Uganda. We had a large, modern room with air conditioning, big flat-screen TV and up-to-date furniture. We ate at the onsite Asian Fusion restaurant which served delicious curries and really cold beer. There was a wedding going on the evening we stayed, which was noisy but didn't go on too late into the night and made for fun people-watching! The only downside really was that we like to explore new cities on foot, but there wasn't much within walking distance of the hotel. I'm sure a taxi ride would take us to more interesting places than the shopping mall and golf course which were all we found by walking.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeckyNW
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are humbled that you chose to stay with us and delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Kampala is full of exciting places to visit and in your next stay with us, we'll be sure to recommend them to you.
Looking forward to hosting you here again.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

It was a very good time when i stay in Fairway hotel, it was a really nice experience, well trained staff, with a beautiful ambiance, and specialy its food... really yummy a perfect asian fusion.. realy nice test, freshness, and remind me my home test...

its realy a good experience... i surely recomended to stay in Fairway hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rajesh R
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! One of our goals is to give our guests a "home away from home" feeling and we are happy you experienced it, especially with our food. We hope you will be returning again so we can make your next visit even more memorable.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

When we arrived we hadn't been given the rooms we requested, that being said as soon as we told the receptionist we were all moved, to beautiful rooms, the swimming pool was great, and the asian fusion is excellant and very reasonably priced. There are 4 floors, to the hotel, and we were on the top floor and had excellant views over the complex and beyond. Breakfasts were amazing with plenty of choice and everything is freshly cooked for you. Plenty of fruit on offer. We plan to return again later in the year.

Room Tip: rooms along where 413 are good
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 1satchel
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us because our goal is to give our guests the best Fairway experience. When you come back later in the year, we intend to make that stay even more memorable.
Looking forward to your next visit,.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a strange title, but it was a strange experience. The hotel had some great qualities, but it also had some huge issues as well. For example, our room was large with a digitally controlled air conditioner. It also had LED lights, a flat screen TV, and an updated shower. However, many of the updates looked incomplete with such as a long, bare wire (hopefully not live) hanging from the bathroom ceiling. Also, some the tiles were missing, and the finish work was horrible with huge gaps and even our windows leading to the outside had inch gaps due to poor fittings. There was also no bottled water in the room when we arrived. However, our room was much nicer than the other shared by my team. Their room was much smaller and looked like it had not been updated in 40+ years. Yet, their room was the same price as ours.

The service there was also lacking. It was obvious our rooms were not decided before we arrived even though we booked over 3 months in advance. Our conference area was also not set up. They did give us a nicer space, but our meeting was over 30 minutes late starting with people traveling from all over Uganda. It was quite embarrassing, and we received no apologies or compensation (aside from the nicer room).

That being said, the food there was good, and the Asian Fusion restaurant on site was nice and a decent value. Overall, it may be a good value relative to other hotels in Kampala, but I will not take the risk of staying there again when I am travel half way around the world to spend a few days in Uganda.

Room Tip: Check out your room before you agree to stay in it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David S
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel and we are honored that you chose to stay with us. We truly understand your frustrations with our services and we apologize for it. We will make corrections and give your feedback to our team. If you return to Uganda, please accept our humbles request to come visit us once again. Indeed our hotel is over 40 years old and we take great pride in making sure our guest have a good experience. The hotel is carrying out renovations gradually, hence the reason why some areas/rooms look better than others - it is a work in progress. But we hope to finish up very soon.

We are looking forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Over the last twenty years I have made countless visits to many Eastern African capitals. Before and after a safari, I like to base out of a nice place to call home for a few days. Bookends if you will to camping during my extended treks. The requirements are quite simple: hospitable and accommodating staff, clean, affordable, a hotel that has a good restaurant with not just great food but also ice cold beer. During a trip to Uganda back in early 2013 I found just such a place. It’s The Fairway Hotel and Spa in Kampala. To date in 2013, I have now spent a total of nine nights at the hotel during three separate visits, most recently back in June 2013. I have had special requests like having packages sent to the hotel prior to my arrival; gear left after my departure to be retrieved by others; rental vehicles being delivered to the location; film camera batteries requiring charging; meetings with local dignitaries requiring conference space with audio/visual support; maps drawn up by the front desk with explicit details to allow me to navigate through rush hour traffic from center city Kampala to the overskirts of town and beyond; poolside private meetings with expedition team members; and meals served both indoor and outdoor. During each of my visits, time and time again, I have found the staff of The Fairway to be absolutely attentive to my needs in every way. Even when I have pressed the restaurant staff at the Fusion Restaurant to make the Tusker beers even colder, they have always been there for me. Having spent years in the hospitality industry in my younger days, I can say with conviction that The Fairway’s special attention to detail separates them from the rest of the usual suspects. And in the end, well I am happy to report that I will be returning to my 'home away from home' again real soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank buckcreeklodge

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are so humbled that you chose to stay with us. Our number one goal is to give our guests the "home away from home" feeling and we are glad you felt it. We will be continuously improving our services to make you next stay even more memorable.
We are looking forward to hosting you here again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at the Fairway for a week by myself and it was pretty good. I am a solo female traveler so safety is priority and Fairway was great for that. It's an older hotel but clean, comfortable and I met a lot of people there at the diff. restos. (I am a foodie ...the FOOD there IS AMAZING!) They also have a pool which is nice, and the service is great. (The owner is kinda cute too!)
Check it out!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel and choosing to stay with us. We are so glad you enjoyed our food and your stay with us. We hope you will return so we can make your next stay even more memorable.