“Cool spot great food!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 95 Hotels in Kampala
toronto
“Cool spot great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at the Fairway for a week by myself and it was pretty good. I am a solo female traveler so safety is priority and Fairway was great for that. It's an older hotel but clean, comfortable and I met a lot of people there at the diff. restos. (I am a foodie ...the FOOD there IS AMAZING!) They also have a pool which is nice, and the service is great. (The owner is kinda cute too!)
Check it out!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel and choosing to stay with us. We are so glad you enjoyed our food and your stay with us. We hope you will return so we can make your next stay even more memorable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Kharkiv, Ukraine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel. We stayed there for 2 nights on a business trip. The outside of the hotel and the grounds look good, but the inside is very poor. The hotel is totally run down. The only pleasant place inside was the main restaurant where they served an OK continental breakfast. The room was horrible, old, and the bathroom looked like it was repaired 40 plus years ago. The service was absolutely unacceptable - we asked for a conference room, and followed us on it with a number of e-mails, but the hotel absolutely forgot about it, and we had to wait for them to arrange the room for us in a hurry. Look at the pictures and judge for yourself. This place needs major repairs and likely a change of management.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VitaliyS1
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We truly understand your frustrations with our services and we sincerely apologize for it. We will give your feedback to our team and use this as a platform for correction. Our hotel is over 40 years old and we take great pride in making sure our guest have a good experience. The hotel is carrying out renovations gradually, hence the reason why some areas/rooms look better than others - it is a work in progress. But we hope to finish up very soon.

We hope you will return for a much better experience.

Travelers are raving about these Kampala hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel offers amenities and a piece of mind that are an absolute treat in the fast paced city of Kampala. It is tucked away on a corner, and has its own atmosphere, which is calm and pleasant. The staff is friendly and cordial, always available to cater to the various needs of the customer. The food is top notch, and when I say this, I am referring to the BEST Indian cuisine in the city. The rooms were clean and tidy, and all the applications and accessories were in top working order. I highly recommend this to any new comer or regular patron of the city, a well run hotel.

-Kyle

Room Tip: 523 is the perfect room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank geno604
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for four weeks and loved it. Location was good. The room was large and clean, the service was very good the staff was friendly. There was free WiFi.
The breakfast was very good with a good selection of fresh fruit, an omelet station and various hot dishes.
The Africanfusion restaurant on the grounds was a bonus, there was live music and some of the best Indian foods especially the Barbeque and the Biryani.
We will go back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kampala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Accessibility with private means is very easy
It offers free internet and i would grade it to mid-range hotel with fair price.
We tried out a new chinese dish at the Indian/Chinese restaurant, it was rather tasty and we were pleased with the favor.
I recommend it to travelers who do not want to go basic , but not for high end. There better places for this category of people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked Fairway for a group of 5 (a triple room and a double room), and I would not say I was very impressed. While the grounds were very pretty (this was clearly quite a nice hotel in another decade) and the location was good, the rooms themselves were quite run down. It took about 25 minutes for the water to get hot (I actually called to get it repaired, which was how we discovered that if you just left it running for an obscene amount of time it worked), the beds were not very comfortable, and the internet was spotty. I also would be a bit concerned about security - I had $50 taken from an envelope of USD. At first I thought I must have misplaced it (even though it was there when I left the room, and not when I returned, and was the only $50 bill in an envelope of $20s, so I know I didn't just miscount), but I've heard from other travelers that it is actually quite a common tactic - someone will take just a little bit of money from a larger amount, because then you are less likely to report the theft, assuming it is just your mistake. I followed up with the hotel to ask about it and they never got back to me. They also tried to charge me a ridiculous exchange rate (substantially less advantageous than the one posted) when I tried to pay for my room in Ugandan shillings rather than USD.

In any case, the balconies were nice, the rooms were big, the location was good, but I would not recommend the Fairway Hotel - the security issues and spotty basics (internet and hot water) were really a problem.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank L K
Madurai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The rooms are clean and big. I was given a room with a balcony from where i can see the entrance of the hotel and the main road. It has a nice Indian restaurant attached to the hotel. We can walk up to shopping center (20 minutes walk from the hotel). The hotel offers internet connectivity and shuttle to the airport for cost. service charges are extra if payments are made through credit cards. It has trained and well mannered staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rduraikannan
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are honored that chose us to host you and delighted that you enjoyed our hospitality. We would be more than glad to host you again for your next visit to Uganda and provide you with even better services.