“Refreshing mix of culture and class.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fairway Hotel

Fairway Hotel
Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Kampala
“Refreshing mix of culture and class.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel offers amenities and a piece of mind that are an absolute treat in the fast paced city of Kampala. It is tucked away on a corner, and has its own atmosphere, which is calm and pleasant. The staff is friendly and cordial, always available to cater to the various needs of the customer. The food is top notch, and when I say this, I am referring to the BEST Indian cuisine in the city. The rooms were clean and tidy, and all the applications and accessories were in top working order. I highly recommend this to any new comer or regular patron of the city, a well run hotel.

-Kyle

Room Tip: 523 is the perfect room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank geno604

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for four weeks and loved it. Location was good. The room was large and clean, the service was very good the staff was friendly. There was free WiFi.
The breakfast was very good with a good selection of fresh fruit, an omelet station and various hot dishes.
The Africanfusion restaurant on the grounds was a bonus, there was live music and some of the best Indian foods especially the Barbeque and the Biryani.
We will go back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kampala
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Accessibility with private means is very easy
It offers free internet and i would grade it to mid-range hotel with fair price.
We tried out a new chinese dish at the Indian/Chinese restaurant, it was rather tasty and we were pleased with the favor.
I recommend it to travelers who do not want to go basic , but not for high end. There better places for this category of people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked Fairway for a group of 5 (a triple room and a double room), and I would not say I was very impressed. While the grounds were very pretty (this was clearly quite a nice hotel in another decade) and the location was good, the rooms themselves were quite run down. It took about 25 minutes for the water to get hot (I actually called to get it repaired, which was how we discovered that if you just left it running for an obscene amount of time it worked), the beds were not very comfortable, and the internet was spotty. I also would be a bit concerned about security - I had $50 taken from an envelope of USD. At first I thought I must have misplaced it (even though it was there when I left the room, and not when I returned, and was the only $50 bill in an envelope of $20s, so I know I didn't just miscount), but I've heard from other travelers that it is actually quite a common tactic - someone will take just a little bit of money from a larger amount, because then you are less likely to report the theft, assuming it is just your mistake. I followed up with the hotel to ask about it and they never got back to me. They also tried to charge me a ridiculous exchange rate (substantially less advantageous than the one posted) when I tried to pay for my room in Ugandan shillings rather than USD.

In any case, the balconies were nice, the rooms were big, the location was good, but I would not recommend the Fairway Hotel - the security issues and spotty basics (internet and hot water) were really a problem.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank L K

Travelers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Madurai, India
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The rooms are clean and big. I was given a room with a balcony from where i can see the entrance of the hotel and the main road. It has a nice Indian restaurant attached to the hotel. We can walk up to shopping center (20 minutes walk from the hotel). The hotel offers internet connectivity and shuttle to the airport for cost. service charges are extra if payments are made through credit cards. It has trained and well mannered staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rduraikannan
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are honored that chose us to host you and delighted that you enjoyed our hospitality. We would be more than glad to host you again for your next visit to Uganda and provide you with even better services.
Steyning, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel promises more than it delivers. We booked two rooms, neither of which had mosquito nets. We requested them, to be told that they are not proved in the rooms as standard as 'some people don't like them'(!). Note that several mosquitoes did manage to get into the rooms. However, the nets were provided by nightfall, although one of them had quite a big hole in it making it less than 100% effective. I wonder if they actually have enough nets for all of the rooms?

One of the rooms didn't have a safe, and when queried with the front-desk there was some surprise that it wasn't present. It was promised that a safe would be fitted 'tomorrow'. By the time we left, after three nights the safe still hadn't materialised. The sign on the back of the room door says that safes are available in reception but this doesn't appear to be the case - we just used the one that was present in our second room.

The Indian/Chinese 'fusion" restaurant is good although curiously it was quicker for a meal to be served than a cup of tea!

Not bad for the money, but not outstanding either.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nick Q
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and reviewing our hotel. We apologize for the dissatisfaction you experienced with our services. Please be assured that all your complaints about the mosquito net and the room safe have been forwarded to the relevant departments for corrective measures to be taken immediately. Your feedback is a platform for us to improve our services.
Looking forward to another chance to host you so you can experience the true and excellent African hospitality here at Fairway Hotel.
kampala
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Working in Kampala for several months, I stayed at the Fairway several times and visited often to use its fitness center and eat at its wonderful restaurant. Every time I visited, I was very happy I did so.

The Fairway is luxury that isn't often found these days. When visiting, one feels a bit like one is in that bygone era when travel was a luxury reserved for the few. It is a lovely hotel, classy, slightly aged but offering modern amenities like flat screens, wifi, and comfortable beds. It is quiet and tranquil amidst the chaos of Kampala. Management is attentive and accommodating, helping to satisfy the specific requests of its guests, making their stays in Uganda feel more like home. The staff is friendly and genuinely helpful. Breakfast is included with accommodations, buffet style and international, delicious. The outdoor restaurant serves delicious Indian food (and other cuisines, but I couldn't help but always order Indian food) at standard Kampala "nice" restaurant prices -- on Friday and Saturday nights, the outdoor restaurant has live acoustic guitar music, as well. The gym is legitimate (squat rack with plates, bench press, dumbells, cardio machines, fitness classes), offers complimentary personal training, and is 10k shillings per visit for non-guests. There is a spa and a pool, but I didn't use these.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank andrew r
FairwayHotel, Executive Assistant at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are honored you chose to stay with us and are extremely delighted that you enjoyed our services.
We are looking forward to hosting you again and making your stay even better.