“Impredictible and noisy”
Review of Hotel Africana

Hotel Africana
Ranked #29 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We stayed at the hotel first for one week - in a room on the first floor facing the garden. Probably OK if you have no intentention to sleep. I had. Bad sleep for one week. Reason? - loud music and noise till really late. We asked for a quiet room....
Also asked for a mosquito net - waited 2-3 days....
The second time we stayed at the 10th floor with a room on the other side. Nice.
SO - if you can get a guarantee that you will get a room there - nice place.
BUT - this a place where a yes do not necessarely is a yes.
And another thing - ordering food is a gamble - I still have not got it all....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barbro60
There are newer reviews for Hotel Africana

Reviewed February 8, 2010

This hotel looks large and impressive from the outside. My room had a small balcony and the room itself was ok. However, the bathroom was dated and in need of replacement to meet the standard you would expect from a hotel advertising itself as 3-star. The plumbing for the sink was lose and we had no hot water from the tap. The hot water for the shower worked and it was hot. But the bathroom lets the room down. The breakfast was ok. The staff were friendly. We stayed on a Saturday night during which a large wedding reception was being held around the outdoor pool which was therefore out of action. The noise from the wedding reception went on till about 11:30pm. I was on group tour so I don't know how much was paid for the night I spent here, if it was a low price then OK but I'd consider looking for another hotel before booking this one.

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank Shauny_A
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Only stayed one night here at the beginning of our Uganda tour. The hotel lacks any real atmosphere or charm but the room and breakfast were ok. It felt like we were the only people in the hotel, which some people may prefer, but we found it a little unnerving.

We were supposed to stay here for another night at the end of our tour but we met several people along the way who recommended other places which were far cheaper. We chose one of these places and have no regrets.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2009

I have stayed at Hotel Africana two times during the past three months (a total of 9 days). Here are some things to expect at Africana:
1. Rap concerts on the weekend. On both of my stays there were concerts or concert rehersals. One was a Thursday evening rehersal that was shaking the balcony doors in my room and the other was a Sunday afternoon event. I was granted a room change to the other side of the building the second time.
2. Something in the room will be missing or broken. I have stayed in 4 rooms. One had no hot water, one had a broken refrigerator, two had excessive noise. The aircon has worked well in all rooms.
3. Issues with the business center. My first stay I was lucky- the internet worked and all was well. With my second stay the internet was a nightmare. One of the reasons I booked at the Hotel Africana was for the wireless. I needed it to stay in touch with my home office and report on meetings. Unfortunately, the business office ran out of usernames and passwords for the wireless. And they intitially refused to call and obtain more. After a one hour visit to the hotel manager, we had one (out of three colleagues) username that worked. I wish the hotel could get its act together on the small details. Some of the pieces are there, but it is not a perfect package.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed here 3nights in Jun09, and overall had a positive experience. I had a few issues with the A/C, non working fan in room and 2 light fixtures, but when I called the front desk for maintenance, they came right away and addressed each issue. My room was right at the top of the stairs - a bit noisy - be sure to specify a quiet location, preferably on the back side which overlooks the green. Room was spacious and well cleaned daily; laundry service was prompt and reasonably priced. CHECK the sliding doors - mine were shaky, maintenance had to tighten the lock to secure it. Had several meals in the restaurant; breakfast was ample, coffee was great! Had only 1 lunch which was a wonderful buffett. There are tables outside where food can be taken to enjoy the beautiful scenery. The Currency Exchange at the hotel while convenient, is very pricey, does not offer the best rate and charges higher fees when exchanging lower USD values. I did not use the pool but it was very large and seemed well kept. I did get to look into one of the apartments which was very roomy BUT the lighting in that building to access the apartments is awful! Recommend complaining to Mgt. if it's still bad and not traveling the remote staircases alone, especially if a female alone. I'd stay again - in a quieter room but otherwise would be a recommendable hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank soxfan401
Reviewed June 30, 2009

My first stay was in 2005. Since then I have stayed at Africana on 8 other occasions. The only reason being that it is on the right side of town for me to get to the office in 10 minutes rather than fight the traffic for 1 hour.
I have nothing in Kampala to compare it to but it is convenient for my purpose.
I have stayed in the "new tower" once. The rooms are great but there is no hot water and the prospect of climbing 8 or 10 storys in a power cut does not thrill me. I now only stay in the old block preferably overlooking the pool. This can be a little noisey but the balcony offers a great vantage point to people watch - especially when there is a wedding going off. Rooms in the old block are "tired" but functional.
Breakfast is basic, the buffet dinner is more like school dinners used to be. The garden menu is reasonable but limited when staying over a longer period.
The swimming pool is HUGE and clean. Internet connection is very slow. WIFI is almost impossible.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2009

This was my fouth time to stay at this Hotel, i have seem tremndous imporvement and development every time i visit. very innovative and the management is trying to give all the services needed in an international Hotel. The stuff are very smart in their new uniforms and vero welcoming. The food is good especially on thursdays when they have the traditional dishes.

I would deffinatly stay in hotel africana next time i visit.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business