“Adonai Guesthouse #2 - not recommended”
Review of Adonai House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kampala
Adonai House
Ranked #10 of 195 Kampala B&B and Inns
California
“Adonai Guesthouse #2 - not recommended”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed at Adonai guesthouse #2, which was not very good.
1. Lack of bathrooms: We were on a Watoto missions trip and our group of about 30 had to share 4 bathrooms (one of which is connected only to a room of 6 people. So the other 24 people had to share 3 bathrooms.
2. Electricity generator was sporadic and so you have to make sure you have a flashlight in case the generator unexpectedly shuts off.
3. They do laundry for a fee: There was so many of us that they often handed our laundry back all mixed up. Luckily we were all of the same group, so asking each other for our MIA laundry was a little easier than if we didn't know each other.
4. Breakfast was pretty much the same everyday: cereal and eggs and toast.
5. Staff was nice overall, internet was charged for a fee (including their wifi)
Overall: I would NOT choose to stay at guesthouse #2 again.

Room Tip: rooms relatively clean, but lack of bathrooms and electricity was insufficient.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank SuperGravey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Maple Creek, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Thank you for the great Ugandan hospitality during our recent stay at all three of the Adonai guesthouses. We were truly blessed! The meals, the cleanliness and the great service were all much appreciated.
We enjoyed the atmosphere in these guesthouses. My husband said it was more like staying in a home than in a motel, which is more impersonal. We were able to invite guests to join us for an evening meal and a time to visit in a quiet and relaxed setting at one of the guesthouses..
It was a pleasure meeting each of the staff members and thereby learning more about your country and culture. When needed, they were very willing to help us arrange transportation.
The grounds, particularly at Adonai 1 & 2, are beautiful!
We would certainly recommend an Adonai Guesthouse to any one we know planning to visit Kampala.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BevPenner
Mid-West
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I love Adonai in Muyenga!
I have no experience with the other houses but Adonai 1 is just lovely. It is clean, beautiful rooms. Nothing fancy but for $30/night for a private room and ensuite bathroom - just a great deal. The rooms are clean, nets on the beds, bathrooms are clean. Wireless internet. Fans in the room. Public areas are clean and a nice place to sit and chat with other guests. Breakfast was fine - nothing exciting but for the price perfectly fine. The staff are GREAT and go above and beyond to make your trip great and help you. Walked to the store several times. Easy to find a boda up on the main road to Cafe Roma (yum!) for dinner or into the city. I loved it and will definitely be staying here again. The only downside was no hot water for showers. Not sure if it was just our room or not.
Overall, wonderful place to stay and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank HaitiTravels
USA
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Having stayed quite a few times at Adonai, I feel like I need to update travelers as to my thoughts on Adonai.

It has gone downhill in recent stays. There is ALWAYS something not working. It gets tiresome to have non-working faucets or windows that don't close or internet that is ALWAYS down. I heard they recently got wireless, so can't comment on that, but don't count on the dial-up. The staff is often using it more than the customers.

I also feel they are not keeping the properties as clean as they used to. Several times my room didn't get cleaned even when I left my key at the desk. The clothes on the tables were soiled and the coffee serving area never wiped clean.

Also, the breakfasts on the first trips were really good - variety every day. The last 2 trips, not so. It was like the staff was happy to have us make our toast and then just put eggs out there. No banana bread, pancakes, french toast like before. Same for dinner. And, oftentimes there wasn't enough at dinner for the entire party to really have a decent meal.

There are only 3 houses now - Adonai One, Adonai Two and Adonai Four. Adonai Four is in Rubaga and there are literally no grounds to speak of. It is not a great area as you really can't walk anywhere. Adonai One is in a lovely neighborhood and it is safe for taking a walk for exercise.

The whole reservation process is a nightmare. I never felt like I knew what I was really getting. Sending 10 emails back and forth for confirmation is also tiresome and then it sometimes isn't even right when arriving. Just not professional.

Lots of Watoto teams used to stay here until Watoto built their own facilities. Now they do have some overflow Watoto teams, but perhaps the loss in that business has caused the decline in their services.

There is better for the same or less money right nearby Adonai One - Emasus (with a view of Lake Victoria) or Fields of LIfe Shalom.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 29, 2010

This was the worst place I have stayed in years! I booked and confirmed 2 rooms, only to show up and be given one room to share with my colleague. That one room had a shared bathroom with no lock on the door. The internet was broken for the majority of my stay, there was always drying laundry - somehow always including men's underwear - hanging on the banister in the stairways, which went nicely with the filth and used razor blades and discarded hair (from the staff doing each other's hair) I found twice on the shared balcony. To get into the compound you had to wait (and wait and wait) outside the locked front gate, staff were never in a hurry to let you or your car in or out of the compound. Upon ordering dinner one night, with the only choice being "veg and chicken noodle soup", I was given a cup of Ramen Noodles, with a few snips of green onion and a greasy chicken wing on top. The other women who ordered in advance a "special dinner" were served scrambled eggs and slices of pineapple. The was absolutely NO SERVICE at Adonai GH #2. I cannot imagine how this place has any positive reviews.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I had an opportunity to stay at Adonai 1 during a Watoto building trip.
The staff at the house were amazing, the entire house was clean and the meals that were prepared for us were amazing. I would definately reccomend this as a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank charlee31
London
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I had a very good stay at the Adonai guest house in the Muyenga district just outside Kampala. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were clean, and the meals were great. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business