“the worste ten nights in Uganda”

Grand Imperial Hotel
Ranked #66 of 103 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed November 5, 2007

To be honest, the days of glamour are gone and the Grand Imperial Hotel is somewhat worn out. Nevertheless, the rooms are basically clean with fridge, TV, and in my room - noise air condition that didn't work and the Roches with attached me in the middle of the night, noise from the music-playing from the pool area badd!!! bad!!! place . The staff is friendly and the breakfast buffet same stuff every day when l was there. And they changed me $100 per night, mananger had promised to reduce the price because the issue l had, it never happened.

Danny, USA

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank kalluCalifornia
There are newer reviews for Grand Imperial Hotel

Reviewed June 9, 2007

To be honest, the days of glamour are gone and the Grand Imperial Hotel is somewhat worn out. Nevertheless, the rooms are basically clean and equipped with fridge, TV, and - in my room - a rattly air condition that didn't bring any cool. The staff is friendly and the breakfast buffet quite yummy. However, I was very annoyed by the cashier/management as I found several services on my bill I haven't used and the rate also changed since I booked the hotel. It took three discussions with the manager before my bill was correct. I don't think that the rate the Grand Imperial Hotel charges ($90) is justified, especially if you have to fight not be cheated.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Georg S
Reviewed January 7, 2007

It was okay, but bare bones basic. Still, not too bad for the area. Mostly clean and bug free, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 7, 2007

The Grand Imperial Hotel in Kampala, Uganda is an old hotel with lovely dark woodwork all over the hotel. It has a very nice resteraunt with good food. The people who work there are very nice and helpful for the most part.
Our room had a comfy bed and good closet space. However, the room smelled of mold/mildew strongly when the A/C was off. My biggest problem was the plumbing.
The shower put out only a drizzle of hot water and so it was a real challenge to add just a tiny bit of cold to make it warm and to have any pressure at all. The sink faucets worked by if you turned on both hot and cold together, you couldn't turn the water all the way off.
My husband played around with them and found a way to push-in on both handles and turn which shut off the flow. We did, on the first day of our 3 day visit, call to the front desk and request maintenance to fix the sink, however, no one came to fix it.
I would recommend this hotel if you're into older, more historic places to stay. Just expect some problems.

• Stayed: January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank virginiad
Reviewed December 21, 2006

1. Told that they would send a shuttle to the airport. They weren't there at 1 am in the morning. Called them to hear that I should take a taxi and that they would reimburse me! At that time of the night, it is not the money that matters but the feeling of safety.
2. The air-conditioner was leaking onto the awful looking and smelling carpet on the floor. They did not fix it for 3 days. Somebody came just when I was leaving the room to check out.
3. The faucets in the bathroom kept falling off barely missing my toes in the tub.
4. Only good thing is the personnel. I wish they would build a new hotel around them.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank Hande
A TripAdvisor Member
Maine
Reviewed May 29, 2005

I had to change rooms 4 times the first night I got there. Water was out on one side of the hallway, yet they kept giving me rooms on that side. The hotel was in a good location however.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 19, 2005

I was booked in here because the Sheraton was full up. It is a proper 4 or 5 star hotel with all the facilities you expect, well run clean, nice staff. Colour scheme a bit too brown for my liking but it is kept very well and I was impressed. The food in their cafe/restaurant was terrific. Worth a trip on its own.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business