Speke Hotel
$204
$161
$130
Jumia Travel
All reviewsindian restaurantrock gardenkhyber passoldest hotelstayed in this hotel for nightspleasant staydecent hotelcentral kampalaspecial thanksrooms are cleanbusiness tripvisit kampalaeast africahome away from homepizzeriaugandagm
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I arrived to find that my hotel booking was not in the system, and the hotel staff tried to put me into a back, dingy room, unclean, and clearly not used unless in extreme circumstances. went back to reception with my luggage, but no apologies from reception or management on duty about the stuff up they made. After returning from dinner, eventually persuaded the night receptionist to give me a decent room. Unacceptable lack of service or energy to ensure an acceptable solution...wouldn't recommend this to anyone. There seem to be other similar priced hotels and B&Bs with much better service experiences

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Chetan S, General Manager at Speke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

I personally apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us.

We value your time for putting comments in Trip Advisor and also have taken steps to rectify the same for the future.

Special Training programme has been done for the concerned department based on your valued comments.

We request you to give us a one more chance to experience our hospitality.

Warm Regards

Reviewed November 2, 2013

After 2 weeks under canvas we were pleased to have a real bed and private bathroom. Whilst I cannot compare the hotel to a similar star rating elsewhere, the reception was friendly, room was clean and the manager made a point of introducing himself. Dinner was generous, though not inexpensive, but we found the bar unfriendly - at least the women in our part did. The armed guards on the gate was also off-putting to those from the UK. That said, the hotel has old world charm and we would stay again if we found ourselves in Kampala.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Chetan S, General Manager at Speke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay at Speke Hotel, Kampala and we thank you for sparing your valuable time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I have personally addressed your feedback with the relevant Department Heads to retrain the team and I am confident that you will see a marked improvement on your next stay at our hotel.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in September 2013. We stayed here as part of an 8 day package booked through Churchill Safaris.
Having stayed in lodges and quirky hotels throughout our Uganda trip, this hotel was more back to the mainstream city hotel type.
From the outside, the hotel looked very nice, there was welcoming hall/lobby area. We were greeted with glasses of juice which was a surprise. The actual room was very good. Clean, big comfy bed, spacious ensuite, everything working. Slept like a log. The in house Italian restaurant was decent too. We only stayed here one night, and just slept, so I didn't notice the 'elements' that previous posters have referred to.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sparing your valuable time to review us on TripAdvisor.

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed the ambiance and the overall product and the service of the hotel. Thank you for your feedback on the comfort and the service of our staff.

We value your patronage and the team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

When staying in a Hotel in Africa we cannot judge them by first world standards and we have to adjust for the fact that they are in a very difficult place and circumstances. The Speke Hotel in Kampala is a case in point. It is not cheap to stay here. The best for me to do is share three things with you that I liked and three that I think needs attention:
My three likes: The people are very friendly and helpful. Secondly the Hotel is situated right in the centre of the city and thirdly their food portions are big and the food is good!!
What I think needs attention: Of the 30 odd TV channels I could watch two sometimes. Please do something. The directory in the room only has 'house rules' I would have liked to see more about the Hotel and the Restaurants, etc. To get info you have to ask - I like to be independent so please see what you can do? Lastly, they allow smokers where you eat! I am a non-smoker and do not enjoy my meal with smoke. Maybe they could create a smokers section.
I will stay there again, not for long though and I don't think tourists will like it. For business we do not stay long and can live with the small problems.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, with regards to TV Channels in the rooms and Non Smoking Area in the Restaurant. But we do have No Smoking area in the restaurant which can be reserved on guest request.

Your generous compliments have been shared with the entire team for whom it will be a tremendous source of inspiration. We value your patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

There are 2 types of apartment at Speke - this is for the 3 bedroomed semi-detached 2-storey ones.

The buildings are new, spacious and at first glance well appointed. However, management have skimped at the last minute and in the process have really spoiled what they could have been. Examples:

- Poor lighting throughout - you are in constant gloom
- Second hand a/c units
- Leaking toilets (cisterns thankfully!)
- 2nd hand, and half broken stoves
- Really poor kitchen equipment for a proper self-catered house

This last point was the most annoying - even when you ask for an essential item (given the >$3000 per month) you would end up with something cheap and inadequate - e.g. a small sieve instead of a colander, blunt knives, a useless can opener (I ended up cutting the can in half with the breadknife...don't try it at home kids), tiny chopping board etc.

The service was always polite and friendly but the execution was slow and below standard...really surprised they get away with it but maybe most businesspeople just accept what their company gives them?

The strange thing is that Kabira Country Club (where we are now), that is in the same group, has a completely different attitude to service.

Room Tip: They're all the same really
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business