“Astonishing Sheraton at Kampala”

Ranked #5 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hote is an Oasis at Kampala.
Although I have not tested any other hotels in Uganda from my experience from many hotels in East Africa, I must say the this Sheraton stands out in a positive way.

Although the main building is a bit old, spending time at all commona areas (reception, cafes, restaurants, gym) is very relaxing and enjoying. The outer areas of the hotel are also loveable and the rooms are well spaced.

If I need to complaint about something that would be the bathrooms which are not well renewed or decorated.
Breakfast is ok and food just ok - it could be better to tell you the truth.

In general I was very satisifed, staying there three days in a business trip.
Naturally this hotel is very expensive for what they offer as all similar hotels in Africa.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Tom v, Manager at Sheraton Kampala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thanks for your positive comments; it boosts our morale!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

First time I stayed at the Sheraton was in 1996, had Tripadvisor existed then I would have given the hotel an overall 'good'.
Since then I made several trips to the country, my most recent one just before Easter.
The hotel certainly isn't the most modern or luxurious but in my opinion it has kept its original identity while at the same time keeping it in tune with developments of the country and the city. The overall impression is one of a well maintained building, beautiful grounds, great pool and a pleasant outside terrace to have a meal and/or a drink. The room comfortable and clean as ever. Room service fast and pleasant, breakfast served in a pleasant environment with all a person needs in the morning.
Most of all though, I love the attitude of the staff in every department of the hotel. A warm greeting, wonderful smile, great conversation and service to match.
Over time some keeping up will certainly be needed, keeping up with the country's pace. As long as the warm welcoming atmosphere is maintained I will be a happy returning guest. By the way, wifi and Internet speed better than in a lot of places on the continent.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

for someone to say "like coming home" it means you really enjoyed all of it and we were able to provide a warm and cosy atmosphere, like home.

Thanks for the comments and se you again soon in Sheraton Kampala HOME.

Best Regards,

Sheraton Kampal Hotel.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very good hotel for business visits. Not a hotel for visitors looking value for money. Located in centre place with easy approach to business centre. Excellent facilities to conduct business meeting / seminars. Selection of Indian dish particulary vegetarian is limited

Room Tip: Higher floors with room opening towards the garden
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

thanks so much for your positive comments.
Also, we just hired a Indian Chef; he will definately boost our Indian Offerings very soon.

Sheraton Kampala Hotel.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

After spending a long time in Jinja I spent the Easter weekend in Kempala. The Sheraton was exactly as I expected.... Great rooms, great location and exceptional food. The only problem was that there was a constant leak coming from the AC unit in the ceiling of the lobby in my room. It ran down the inside of the wardrobe and began to smell damp after the 3rd day. The maintenance guys didn't do anything much to try and fix it either! It was such a shame that a great hotel was let down by poor staff. Other than that small thing, my stay was great!

Room Tip: A little cheaper than the Serena and in my view a better bar and resturant.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hello,

thanks for your feedback and nice to hear that you enjoyed our weekend package.
We apologise that we did not fix your AC immediately; we have a 24-hour duty technician who normally fixes it within the hour.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a average African Sheraton... nice rooms (although the curtain rod crashed down on me), with very good views of Kampala (eg sunrise over the city). Kampala gets loud at night, and one side of the hotel is a little quieter than the other.

The restaurants are good - had bar food, and on another trip an evening event with a very good buffet. Breakfast is ok.

The pool is in a state of terrible disrepair... they're trying to fix it I think, but not much success.

This place is ok to stay at, but very expensive - there are more interesting and economical options not far from here.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel overlooks a club that's very loud at night!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

thanks for your remarks and happy to read that you enjoyed our ofefrings in our restaurants.

We assume that during your visit, we had just started major renovations on the pool. This is now finished and you will see the big difference; people are extremely happy with the new look.

As a point of advise: shop around for your next visit. Often we have special weekend promotions at very affordable rates.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Sheraton comes with a certain idea of service. The room itself was fantastic, the bathroom was a game of roulette for hot water. They did not tell me they would charge me a ridiculous price for breakfast. (most expensive waffle and coffe I ever had!) The staff had room for improvement. I asked for a taxi to the airport, which was a hour late, and nearly missed my flight. The resturants were WAY overpriced. I had a much more pleasant experience at much cheaper hotels. This one left me shaking my head at the price paid, and longing for the cheaper hotels with much better service, and experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you will not be charged a ridiculous price for the breakfast. They did not inform me it wa...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

we appreciate your feedback. Thank You.

Good to read that you enjoyed your stay in our rooms.

Whem making a booking, depending on which channel you use, the rate is inclusive or exclusive of breakfast. This will be mentioned in the confirmation you receive.

For bookings exclusive of breakfast, we chareg USD 20 for a FULL American Breakfast.
Should you have any questions, contact our reservations team on reservation.kampala@sheraton.com

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a large group of British businessmen on a trade mission. I checked in at 1am and was given a room overlooking the air conditioning fans. It was impossible to sleep due to the fans and even the bed and floor were vibrating from the noise. I called the duty manager to my room at 2:30am, told him that it had been quieter on the BA jet and asked for a room change. Unfortunately, the hotel was fully booked so I had to stay where I was and got absolutely no sleep. The bedroom was in reasonable condition but the bathroom was awful and in desperate need of renovation. The shower hose disintegrated just as I was covered with soap…

I complained to the general manager the next morning and was moved to a suite on the Club floor for the remainder of my stay. The room could not have been better and I was able to have breakfast and snacks during the day in the club lounge. I had breakfast in the main restaurant on one morning, but the hot food was very cold and tasteless. The restaurant looked too depressing for an evening meal. I ate one night in the bar – passable but not particularly enjoyable.

The rest of our group [nearly 40 people] were in standard rooms and everyone was unhappy with the quality of the hotel, particularly the bathrooms. Two people got charged $300 each for laundry – just one week’s worth of shirts etc. The general consensus was that the hotel is a disgrace to be branded a Sheraton and we wondered whether senior management of Sheraton had ever visited this franchised hotel. The group have been staying at the Sheraton for 4-5 years but will definitely not want to use it on the next trade mission.

I had to return to Kampala the following week and stayed at Le Petit Village, so please see my review.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the air conditioning fans! If you must stay here, pay the extra for a club...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HexhamDave

Dear Sir,

we value your feedback as with that feedback we can improve our product and services.

Fortunately, the hotel is running occupancies of a 100% and so did we in the week of your visit.
Unfortunately this high occupancy resulted in us not being able to move you on your first night, but I am happy to read that you enjoyed your free upgrade to a suite, including all amenities.

Your other remarks have been noted and discussed with the responsible department heads.