“Enjoyable stay but some glitches for business travel”

Sheraton Kampala Hotel
Ranked #11 of 97 Hotels in Kampala
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay but some glitches for business travel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stayed on the 10th floor - I've read a review suggesting rooms below the 8th floor are not so good but a colleague was on the 3rd and seemed to find it fine. Certainly my room including the bathroom was clean and well maintained. The bed was really comfortable. The windows were large and offered a great view. Unfortunately when working with a laptop in the evenings I suffered many wifi signal outages which was a real handicap, and the room lighting was not really planned with laptop users in mind. Both were surprising failings in a hotel which must aim to get a fair number of business travellers. But at least internet access from the room was free.
The gym was fairly well equipped and apparently open 24 hours, which is useful, and on a morning I couldn't sleep proved to offer a helpful diversion at 6am. The terrace restaurant food was good and plentiful although service could be variable. The staff were friendly and willing. Worth noting that room service dining options were pretty good and no more expensive.
The piano bar was pleasant with good cocktails but many people also stopping for tea. I didn't try the Equator bar. At the weekend that did get really busy and the music could get loud. Fortunately my room wasn't affected by that.
There is a facility to change money in the shopping arcade in the hotel and rates seemed reasonable. For UK travellers worth noting that Sterling seemed just as accepted as US Dollars. For the latter the rate improved when changing denominations from upwards of US$50 but older (before 2000?) US$100 notes were not accepted there.

1 Thank devtravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed here for five nights and were underwhelmed with the hotel and rather surprised by the Sheraton brand. As a regular traveller, I'm familiar with what Sheratons offer, but this hotel, in my opinion, does not meet the chain's standards.

The lobby was on a par with any other Sheraton hotel - large, welcoming and business like. There is a small bar off to the side, which has a piano player in the evenings as well as an internet centre where guests can log on for free (the rest of the hotel has an intermittent wifi signal)

The room was rather tired looking - worn furniture and carpets and some lights did work; the bathroom was small and furnished with a basic suite. But in line with all other Sheratons I've stayed at, the bed was bliss - a king size bed that was really comfortable.

Room service, on the odd occasion we ordered food was fine - there was nothing special about the food, but it was well cooked and presented and delivered relatively quickly.

There is another bar in the hotel (called something like The Equator). I may be jumping to conclusions here, but a single woman at a bar in Uganda dressed in very high heels and a revealing dress signals a prostitute to me. I might be wrong, but there were an awful lot of such women at this bar. Which is funny, considering the security at the entrance of the hotel (checks under the car as well as in the boot and glove compartment). Again, a bar full of prostitutes is not what I would expect from the Sheraton.

Finally, the worst part of the stay was at the weekend - other posts on TA have mentioned this, too. The noise from the sound system of the bar, apparently opposite the hotel, is horrific. It is impossible to sleep with that noise...and the noise tends to continue into the early hours. When you check in, make sure you ask for a room facing the car park rather than the hotel grounds.

Finally , fortunately we booked this hotel using SPG points - it is the only reason to stay here. Had I been paying rack rates or similar, I'd feel severely cheated!

So, tired looking room, noisy bars and full of prostitutes - do you want to stay here?

Room Tip: Face the car park!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

Its a very good hotel with nominal rates and having a very good customer servicing staff...
Really happy to spend 2nights here for a small Business Trip

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

This hotel seems to be a lady of two halves. . Many reviews praise the rooms whilst others raise serious concerns. Clearly there are two hotels here..one on the 8th floor and above which, from reading earlier reviews, seem to have been pleasant and must have been refurbished at least two years ago. For the rest of us unlucky to be on the lower floors I have to say my experience is very different. I am very sad to say that that the various rooms I occupied in search of coolness and an AC that worked fell way below the standard of any other Sheraton I have stayed in. I never did find a room with decent AC and never really slept as a result..not helped by ancient hard pillows and floor to ceiling windows that , if you were on the back as I was, didn't open. The solar gain every day was enormous but at least it was the quiet side of the hotel. During the day there is currently building work at the front and then noisy bars and discos later. . . The forbidding heavy wooden furniture added to the sense of decay as did empty minibars that all had menus and price lists on top..what happened there I wonder?

The hotel was built in the 1960s and for the most part it looks as if nothing has changed since including the uncomfortable uniforms worn by the, in the main, wonderfully kind staff. When did anyone decide that brown nylon scarves tied in bows around the neck were comfortable in warm climates. Not since the 70s I guess. The staff inn every other hotel I checked out had far more comfortable and modern uniforms and just gave those hotels a greater sense of style. I know it sounds like a small point but I think it underlines the lack of real thought, or perhaps complacency that has crept in here. perhaps a general the lack of pride in appearance or caring? You cant rest on your laurels anymore.

Another real shame to the Sheraton name are the bathrooms. How can a Sheraton put its name to small tiled rooms full of cracked or broken old tiles that have tried to be refilled using by pollifilla or similar ( I counted 15 in a stretch on my last room), baths yellow with age, fittings in which that the chrome has been worn off during centuries of cleaning and showing the brass underneath and a variety of unpleasant unidentifiable sticky gunge all around ? Not to mention the heavily stained rusty water that always came out at first. Get real Sheraton. I have stayed in countless hotels around the world and have never found anything as bad as this in even 1 star hotels.

So the uncomfortable surroundings and lack of sleep detracted so much that I really couldn't find anything to enjoy..such a shame as the staff are great. Nothing really stood out and even the comedian at the comedy show we were taken to see one night was cracking jokes about it and how all the NGO staff etc are moving to the Serena..right on..I'm going to stay there from now on too.

Actually its an OK place to stay of you know what to expect. I wouldn't have been so disappointed if it hadn't been a Sheraton as I used to like the brand and often chose a Sheraton hotel out of choice in new places because of its reliability .

So please restore the old lady to its former glory and comfort ..but I for one wont be back to see the refurbishment.

like. I cant say I actaully foudn I was sleep deprived and The food was overcooked in the restuarant and breakfast was teh best mealof the day.

Da Nang, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

The Sheraton Kampala is a standard upmarket hotel with good rooms. Ensure you have SPG membership and ensure to get a room on the upper floors 9-12 - those have been renovated and are good value.

I love the breakfast buffet - their steaks cover me for the remainder of the day.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

I have NEVER stayed in such a filthy hotel.

I have just had to stay in this property, and I hope to God I never have to return. In 2011, there in no feasible reason why a Sheraton in Uganda should feel like a Sheraton in Uganda. This hotel is a joke, clearly a hotel with no affliation to Sheraton in any sense other than name.

Firstly, how is you still have rooms that pre-date the 1980's in this property? I mean, they are dark, damp, the a/c is like a bad dream, the fan is running, but the air is hot, Uganda is tropical, and if you can WIFI in a hotel, you surely can have air conditioning. I mean, it was so hot, I was sweating in the room. I complained downstairs twice, and was given 3 different rooms, and assured that that a/c was checked, alas, it went from grosser to grosser. I mean, from a non-smoking room with no a/c to a smoking room with a/c. SMOKING!!! Who even offers that as an option any more. Absolutely ridiculous. When I threatened to sleep in the lobby (it was the coolest place in the building) I was all of a sudden found a room on the renovated 3rd floor and literally it was like stepping into a Sheraton. At this point though, my blood pressure was through the roof and I was over this hotel staff. I mean, they speak English, English is an official language in Uganda, yet people stand there blank faced when you ask a question and thats just the Front Desk.

Can you also tell me why the pool has ripped/dirty deck chair pads, and why on earth the pool area feels like something from the 1970's. Its ugly, the tiles on the ground are so old, you could not scrub them clean if you wanted too. Vulgar.

Room service/the pool menu seems to be only feature calorie heavy options. Nothing light - like a veg soup. Its either meat, cheese or heavy options, in a country like Uganda fresh salad and fruit aren't an option, so light cooked veg options should be a reality.

There is so much wrong with this property, I am actually embarrassed and really would not choose to stay at a Sheraton if this property is any indication of what they are like.

PS the Fitness center is not air conditioned and the staff there seem to think the bench press and machines are for them to sit on and watch TV.

PPS, the lobby furniture is tatty, the pillows on the sofas are a mess and some of the furniture looks thread bare. I mean, really, in 2011??????

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank chowsieinlondon
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

nice hotel, everything was as expected for a 5star hotel, the only disapponting thing was they tried to charge us for room service which we did not have, and when we pointed out the mistake the receptionist was pretty rude and not apologetic. other than that it was a good stay enjoyed kampala, the hotel is next to a forex exchange and shops, there is a disco in the hotel on fridays and saturdays which has a fantastic crowd.

• Stayed November 2010