“High Class Cultural Show”
Review of Ndere Centre

Full-Day City Tour of Kampala
Dunkeld, United Kingdom
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“High Class Cultural Show”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

About 3 hours of Ugandan cultural experience. Mostly drumming and dancing each dance of which is an example from one of Uganda's regions. The best parts were the finale dances where the girls place pots on their heads and keep dancing. And by pots I don't mean one or two, at one stage they have up to 8 pots stacked high on their heads and these reach about 5 feet higher than they are. Never once did I see one drop. The least enjoyable part is the "comedian" (sic) who provides the intro between dances. Boring laborious Ugandan humour that falls flat on its face. I've seen the show more than once taking friends who visit and the jokes hardly change ever and are heavy handed. Not to expatriates tastes but I suppose that some local Ugandans may find them funny, I really don't know. Not to my taste certainly.

But never mind him, see the dancers and the drummers, they are fantastic.

Visited March 2014

Algona, Iowa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Absolutely must see if you come to Kampala! Cultural experience of the ENTIRE country in ONE place!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I HIGHLY recommend seeing this if you come visit Kampala or Uganda! The Ndere Troupe offers a great cultural experience of the ENTIRE country through singing, dancing, and comedy all in ONE place! A great show for all age groups, in my opinion.

It was a little bit tricky to find Ndere Center because Kampala is a very large city but it seemed like everyone on the street was able to direct my colleague and I to the correct location (it's on Google Maps also). The location is near Taxi Stage Ntinda (I believe) and just down the hill to the left (northwest) and back up the hill on the other side (take a taxi or motorcycle as it's about 3km).

The price for the show is:
20,000 for Adult Ugandans.
30,000 for Adult Non Ugandans ($15)
15,000 for children

Mid week Show is on Wednesday at 7pm

Dance Africa Night is on Fridays at 7pm

Family Hour is on Sundays at 6pm (this is the one I attended and it was great. It lasted from 6 until after 10pm!)

Call +256414597704 or +2563121291936 for reservations; however, my colleague and I showed up without reservations and had a seat (this may not always be the case).

There is also a barbecue and buffet meal during the show for 30,000 shillings. I'd recommend eating as soon as you arrive as I waited until 7:30 and they were nearly out of everything :( There was a wide variety of food and the food I had was pretty good. Just be aware that this is Africa, the meat will not be the big juicy pieces of meat you usually find in the U.S. or in Europe.

I hope you enjoy the show as much as I did. I plan on returning there with my girlfriend when she arrives next spring!

Visited May 2014
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Spectacular dancers, entertaining host”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Whenever I have visitors, I always take them to the show at Ndere. It is a must see for every tourist in Uganda! The host is very funny and gives a good insight into Ugandan culture, and the dancers are absolutely amazing. I wouldn't recommend the food since it is quite overpriced and you can find better quality elsewhere. But the show in itself is more than reason enough to go to Ndere!

Visited April 2014
Kampala, Uganda
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Ndere centre is the most authentic you can find”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Ndere centre shows not just Ugandan but regional dances. It is funny and interesting, even for Ugandans! (so not just a tourist attraction).
Decide whether you want to eat there or not, the buffet is relatively expensive for Ugandan food, but OK quality.
Put on your dancing shoes if you wan to join the stage at the end!

Visited June 2013
Kampala, Uganda
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best of the nite”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

There could be a number of entertainment/Cultural Troupe groups but Ndere is best.
I together with my British pal Collins, had a rib cracking and ballistic evening.

Visited February 2014