“Food Poisoning and a 5 Hour Dinner.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Mish Mash - CLOSED

Mish Mash
Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Food Poisoning and a 5 Hour Dinner.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went after work around 5 with a group of 15 people divided into two tables. One table had to wait 3 hours for their food and 2.5 hours into the wait we were told that half of the items we ordered were not even on the menu that night. The staff refused to compensate us for any of our meal. The other table got food poisoning that night even though no one ordered the same dish.

Visited July 2013
willyontour, Owner at Mish Mash, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
After a full investigation into this matter I have discovered the following:

I admit that the service was slow on that evening. The waitress has admitted her mistakes. She gave the wrong order to the kitchen TWICE and each time the food was returned by runners as they noticed the food was wrong.

The customers were all offered free drinks and an apology. They all accepted the free drinks and they were also offered VIP cards for MishMash, which they also accepted.

It has also been discovered that all the people (who ate different dishes while at MishMash) all ate from the same street vendor earlier in the day.

The review of mishmash was posted before contacting the restaurant, which is always a shame, as there is usually a good explanation for events.

The delay of the food on this occasion was not acceptable but we apologised and compensated for this. The customers all left the restaurant happy and we were surprised to receive this review. We feel it was based on the food poisoning obtained from a street vendor earlier in the day.

The kitchen at mishmash is kept to a high standard. All staff regularly wash hands. All food is prepared fresh. We have been open almost two years and never had any complaint of food poisoning. While, of course, there can always be a first case, we are very certain, in this instance that it is no coincindence that ALL the people who became sick only a couple of hours after leaving MishMash got so from the street vendor they ordered rolex from earlier in the day (Rolex is a Ugandan street food made from eggs, flour, tomato, chapati and onions).

Holland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went there on a Saturday night, had to pay 3000 entry, but it was a nice escape from the busy crowd of Kampala, nice grounds to sit outside, good and swift service at the table, and even the music picked up during the night. The food was surprisingly good for the limited menu, and worth going for. The DJ played club/dance, but it was never full enough really to kick off. The crowd was a mix of expats, tourists and well off locals. Good atmosphere and great to sit outside with a shisha.

Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I liked it - service needs to be faster though.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I liked Mish Mash. I liked the feel of the place and what they've got going on. I found the art exhibited really good and on point (paintings of Kampala urban scenery, et al) and managed to buy some pineapple jam from the handcrafts shop. The shop had some nice dresses which I felt were over-priced so I settled for the jam, just to support the shop.

I went there during the day, as well as late night (10pm onwards). The music could have been better, I felt. Maybe the DJ's were having an off day or just happened not to play my kind of music. But I was there two nights, so I don't know.

When it comes to food, don't try the nachos. They were terrible the day I was there. Service was also slow, too slow for an afternoon. It was unexpected, given the look and clientele of the place.

Aside from the mentioned issues, I liked the place and I say it's worth a visit.

1 Thank Cathy Y
Addis Ababa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Worth a trip...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Went to Mish Mash on a Friday evening around 8pm, before the late-night crowd. My friend and I had drinks and dinner in the outdoor lounge area, which was simply yet tastefully decorated. Food was decent (the coconut spiced soup was excellent and vegetable pie was good), and prices were reasonable. Menu selection was good and somewhat eclectic, and we highly recommend the Strawberry Mojito for a drink! Service was basic, nothing to write home about.

As it gets later in the evening the place starts to fill up, so if you are not into the louder music and bigger crowds, go before 9pm or so. Cover charge applicable later in the evening.

Visited January 2013
Kampala
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great Food, Bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

The food was great and had a nice taste to it. The service, however, was not up to par. We were seated in the lounge and the menus that were given to us were completely ripped up and had torn pages. Finally after 10 mins the waitress attended to us which is too long for a cafe/restaurant/bar for drinks. However good design/decor and ambience is top notch.

Visited November 2012