“I liked it - service needs to be faster though.”
Review of Mish Mash - CLOSED

Mish Mash
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I liked Mish Mash. I liked the feel of the place and what they've got going on. I found the art exhibited really good and on point (paintings of Kampala urban scenery, et al) and managed to buy some pineapple jam from the handcrafts shop. The shop had some nice dresses which I felt were over-priced so I settled for the jam, just to support the shop.

I went there during the day, as well as late night (10pm onwards). The music could have been better, I felt. Maybe the DJ's were having an off day or just happened not to play my kind of music. But I was there two nights, so I don't know.

When it comes to food, don't try the nachos. They were terrible the day I was there. Service was also slow, too slow for an afternoon. It was unexpected, given the look and clientele of the place.

Aside from the mentioned issues, I liked the place and I say it's worth a visit.

1  Thank Cathy Y

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Went to Mish Mash on a Friday evening around 8pm, before the late-night crowd. My friend and I had drinks and dinner in the outdoor lounge area, which was simply yet tastefully decorated. Food was decent (the coconut spiced soup was excellent and vegetable pie was good), and prices were reasonable. Menu selection was good and somewhat eclectic, and we highly recommend the Strawberry Mojito for a drink! Service was basic, nothing to write home about.

As it gets later in the evening the place starts to fill up, so if you are not into the louder music and bigger crowds, go before 9pm or so. Cover charge applicable later in the evening.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

The food was great and had a nice taste to it. The service, however, was not up to par. We were seated in the lounge and the menus that were given to us were completely ripped up and had torn pages. Finally after 10 mins the waitress attended to us which is too long for a cafe/restaurant/bar for drinks. However good design/decor and ambience is top notch.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Mish mash is not like any place that you may find in Kampala. It’s more than a bar or restaurant, more than an Art gallery or lounge. It is a bohemian melting pot where art, music food and people come together to have a great time.

If you are looking for a chilled environment to work from during the day or a place to head after work, I would highly recommend Mish mash. With excellent food and amazing cocktails (probably the best in Kampala) and friendly, tentative wait staff you are almost guaranteed to leave with a smile on your face. If it is Art that you are looking for, the gallery hosts a number of exhibitions featuring both up and coming as well as established artists. If that isn’t enough, they have an open mic night every Thursday where people are encouraged to showcase their artistic talents.

Weekends at Mish mash never disappoint either with the Farmers Market on Saturday mornings and great tunes being spun by international DJ’s and being the only place in the whole of Kampala that promotes Electronic and house music the Electromash Saturdays are out of this world! I would recommend it for anyone who loves to party. Finally they make great use of their beautiful garden and open space with “Sundays in the Park”. A chilled event where individuals and families can come relax and unwind with live music, face painting for the kids and a whole lot more.

No matter what you are into there it is a sure thing that there is something here for everyone. Whether you are looking for a watering hole to make your own or a nice place to hang out with your friends and family.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Our small family really love this place. It provides an open space with playground for our two year old to hang out, and there are precious few green safe spaces of this type in Kampala. I have also enjoyed movie nights, festivals and watched live sport in a great atmosphere. The food is pretty good too, especially the beer battered fish and chips, and plate of dips. the owners are very friendly and super responsive to feedback, setting up new events requested by customers. I have also used this place for the odd business meeting. It sets a new standard for customer service, also promoting local artists and organizations. I am not sure what one reviewer means by a ' bit too artsy' given the alternatives available - I think it is commendable to try and raise the bar for style and sophistication.