“Good food and better service”

La Petite France Restaurant and Rooftop Terrace Bar
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: La Petite France prides itself on delivering authentic French cuisine in a refined and elegant setting. The roof terrace wine bar is the place to go for early evening cocktails and a wide ranging winelist. The views across Kampala's golf course are outstanding.
Trondheim, Norway
“Good food and better service”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I really liked this restaurant. It was not too many people there this Wednesday evening, in fact I was the first to arrive. The waiters were eager to please, but also gave room for me enjoying the view and the warmth of the Ugandan evening.

Next time I will try more of the items from the menu. I am looking forward to it!

• Visited January 2012

Jerusalem, Israel
“Hovering staff, gauche chef and raw meat. Quelle honte!”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

La Petite France seemed like the perfect addition to the city's bustle: located on a quiet leafy, lane in the city's upmarket Kololo, I must acknowledge that the ambience in the restaurant is superb. After two visits, this is my only kind remark. Where to begin?

We ordered our steaks 'medium-well' and they came back raw. This would be fine if it was simply an error born out of growing pains, but three other friends had the same problem on different occasions.

The staff literally hovers around one's table; a perfect example is that my ashtray (with one ash in it) was changed after the first puff of my cigarette. The French manager watches his staff like a hawk, to the point that one cringes for them. He, too, was constantly within earshot of my table. Wanting to ensure good service is fine, but this was certainly too much.

Wanting to give the place a second chance, we visited the attached 'wine bar' a couple of weeks later. Disappointingly, only one choice is offered when ordering by the glass. Unless you come in a group and plan to share, one may as well go to the local bar to have the same selection.

We were also disappointed to find the chef engaging with a party who was using profane, vulgar and racist language. When we asked the group to lower their voices, one of the men (drunk, naturally) told us to 'focus on our own conversation'. The staff did nothing and we were shocked to see the chef come out and starting joking with the group!

Finally, the food is overpriced.

Kampala has too many other great options (Mediterraneo and Emin Pasha's Brasserie, for example) to waste your money here.

• Visited January 2012
TobyMaddison, Owner at La Petite France Restaurant and Rooftop Terrace Bar, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
We are sorry that Discerning D's visits to La Petite France were disappointing. We hope that she will return again for a more enjoyable experience. Kampala is notorious for poor service and our Management Team prides itself on interacting with and providing dedicated and efficient service to all our patrons. We hope that all our guests behave with consideration for others and do not approve in any way with profane or unpleasant language.