“Great sushi and gyoza!”

Yujo Izakaya
Ranked #9 of 300 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Yujo Izakaya is a Modern Japanese restaurant and tavern, located in the heart of Nakasero. We specialize in Japanese RICE WINE and CRAFT BEERS, imported directly from Nara and Mito in Japan! So when you come to visit us, please come thirsty! Our restaurant features a hot kitchen and sushi bar, with fresh local ingredients, and many others sourced from all over the world! We also now have LITTLE KOBE JAPANESE GROCERY for all your take home needs,including miso pastes, wasabi, japanese chocolate, little gifts, and more!
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I'm not sure how Yujo manages to have such fresh salmon and tuna but I trust them because it tastes fabulous! The prices are a little bit steep for Kampala, but come on people, if you were importing all your salmon and tuna plus your lobster and scallops, you'd charge a steep price too. It is not steep compared to pretty much anywhere else I've had sushi. I think the service is pleasant and quick. The restaurant is lovely and on those days the tables are full, I love sitting at the sushi bar and watching the chefs do their work. It's wonderful that Yujo is now open on Sunday and delivery, for when I'm feeling a little lazy, is quick and easy. I'm addicted to the sushi but have tried the salmon bento and beef bento boxes: the perfect lunch. When I was feeling a bit under the weather, the udon noodles made everything ok. Still sticking to the pork gyoza and crunchy spicy salmon rolls, though. They are delicious.

There are newer reviews for Yujo Izakaya

Reviewed July 23, 2013

ranked number 1 in Kampala?
Not sure how that came about on trip advisor.
Was there last week. The ambiance is good and relaxing. The food was average but fast. The waiter who served us could not explain anything on the Menu'. We ended up eating Sashimi which was ok even though I'm not a real fan of crude fish, far from what we actually wanted and wrongly explained by server. He was evidently new. NEEDS training.
The dessert was good, I ordered for babana with ice-cream. It is rather disappointing that such a place doesn't make it's own ice-cream. It was evidently Kooksy.
Overall, it is a nice place to have a good chat while dining, but there are some degree/margins of improvements.
certainly not the best restaurant in Kampala.

HanifRehemtulla, Owner at Yujo Izakaya, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the ambiance at Yujo, but I'm quite embarrassed with our waiter who served you.

We have such a wide variety of items on our menu now, and you should not have been forced to have a dish you did not want, especially due to a lack of knowledge with one of our staff.

We are going through some training with new service staff, and they were supposed to shadow the experienced waiters while in training!

I'd like to apologize for this slip up, and hope you'll give us another chance. I'd like to prove ourselves. Please ask a staff member for me (Hanif) if you can come by again, and I'll see to it that you have an enjoyable dining experience.

Lastly, the ice cream we have been using since we opened in 2011 is Nestle, imported from South Africa. We are considering switching to a Belgian variety, maybe now is the time:)

H.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

On a Sunday evening my wife and I were keen to have some Sushi and found Yujo Sushi bar and Izakaya. The Sushi was very good, service was slick but "not in your face". It has a lovely setting and we enjoyed ourselves in the cool open "Lapa".

But the prices were a bit on the steep side. Well, maybe to get Sushi in the middle of Africa, that is what you have to pay.

We'll definitely go back again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great food, reasonable prices and friendly staff. They have a number of good seating locations, with the best located behind the restaurant in a gazebo, where you sit, with your feet under the table. It makes you feel like you are in some other part of the world. If you get a sushi-boat, you literally get a boat (rather large) filled with sushi.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

It is so far one of the best Japanese foods I have ever had and place is so far the most comfy and classy one in town.Highly recommended Tempuras,Sushis(specially california rolls) and Gyozas ! have plenty of beers from Mexico to Japan.It is the place If you wanna treat yourself special in Kampala.