“Sushi in Kampala?”

Yujo Izakaya
Ranked #9 of 300 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Yujo Izakaya is a Modern Japanese restaurant and tavern, located in the heart of Nakasero. We specialize in Japanese RICE WINE and CRAFT BEERS, imported directly from Nara and Mito in Japan! So when you come to visit us, please come thirsty! Our restaurant features a hot kitchen and sushi bar, with fresh local ingredients, and many others sourced from all over the world! We also now have LITTLE KOBE JAPANESE GROCERY for all your take home needs,including miso pastes, wasabi, japanese chocolate, little gifts, and more!
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I never thought I would ever eat Sushi in Kampala, as I did not want to get sick. Two people in one week talked about Yujo, and it happened that some friends were heading over; I decided to throw caution to the wind, and boy am I glad I did.

This place is fantastic, I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to get my favorite sushi and enjoyed every bite, so did everyone else in our group. Most had been there before, so they new how good the the food was, but for the newbies, we all left vowing to return, and I can't wait. The fish was fresh and the regulars are convinced it is flown in daily. If you like Japaneses food then I highly recommend this restaurant; there is a variety of cooked food with smelt delicious, so you can find something to please every palate.

There are newer reviews for Yujo Izakaya

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Excellent food, fresh fish. Could compare to London sushi resturants. I was extremely happy when this opened and even though its on the more expensive end of Kampala restuarants I still go every week!
p.s good for large groups

HanifRehemtulla, Owner at Yujo Izakaya, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

It makes me very happy to hear that people such as yourself are able to compare our restaurant's fare with those you've had back home!

We shall continue to work on this and push the bar higher as far as we can!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Yujo is Kampala's first good sushi restaurant, and the only option that I would recommend. The food is quite tasty, the service is efficient and the ambiance is nice. This is one of the only places in Uganda (if not the only) with comfortable bar top seating, which is great for eating solo or with a friend. I recommend checking this out.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is the second time that I've had dinner at Yujo. It is a nice place to have real and safe sushi!. However the last time I went the soya sauce was not salty enough, ginger and wasabi were not strong enough either. For me this gives the sushi half of its taste. The main dishes were very tasty, though, particularly prawns.
Staff has always been nice and they do not take long to serve!!

Hi!

I'd like to agree that you should be able to enjoy sushi the way that you like, and I'd like to inform you that we do have some solutions to this now.

We have another two types of soya sauce that we are using. There is a lighter soya sauce, and one saltier one. You can ask the waiter to bring you both, and you can choose the one that suits your palate next time you come by!

For the wasabi, this complaint has come from several regular clients of ours, and we have switched back to the wasabi we were using when we first opened. This type is stronger, and can be adjusted easily by our sushi bar staff. You can tell your waiter you would like a stronger wasabi, and they will prepare something potent for you on the spot:)

Lastly, the pickled ginger. It is important to know that the pickled ginger we use is not from the glass bottle like most places in Europe and North America. We have used a recipe as used in non commercial restaurants in Japan, that do not use preservatives. We use fresh local ginger, and the slightly stronger taste usually comes from a different kind of vinegar used abroad for keeping this condiment in storage for long periods of time. There's not much we can do about changing the strength of our ginger, but we can suggest that you use a larger quantity:) Hopefully this helps!

H.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

For my travel and lifestyle blog I went to Kampala to scout the best restaurants, bars, shops and things to do. My boyfriend is .5 Ugandan so I have the luck to go to Kampala at least once a year. I just love Uganda. The people are very friendly and I was surprised by the number of good restaurants there!
Yujo is a place you don't expact to discover in Kampala. They have very good sushi and other delicious Japanese dishes. We loves this place so much we went back twice on our last stay in Kampala. When ordering tuna sashimi ask for the yellowfin. Enjoy!
I will post more on Kampala on my blog soon. Or just read my other reviews on Tripadvisor about Kampala and its restaurants.