“Finally a good Italian Restaurant in Kampala”
Review of Mediterraneo

Mediterraneo
Ranked #2 of 328 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great food, service and management. Try the pizza´s they are the best in town. Also recommendable is the mixed seafood platter, the spaghetti with Prawns and Calamari, the homemade Ravioli and dont forget to try the Tiramiso its fantastic. The decor is typically Mombasa beach style, all outdoor.

1  Thank Martin A

Reviewed May 12, 2012

excellent service, fantastic pizzas, great house wine. Fabulous layout and handmade wooden furniture. A special night out. not cheap. The owners first restaurant, also of the same name, is in Nairobi and is incredibly popular with the UN crowd

1  Thank CharlieBeau
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This restaurant has a great location, setting and atmosphere. It's a shame the food is average. If you just want a nice evening out then you should go, just don't expect the best meal you've ever had!

2  Thank KampalaHannah
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Prices are high but you can´t find a better European restaurant in Kampala - definitely!

1  Thank Miriam P
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I love sitting in this restaurant with friends and clients, sipping a glass of Chianti on a warm Kampala evening surrounded by the sweet smell of flowers mingling with the faint whiff of tobacco smoke. This joint definitely has class when it comes to atmosphere, but this is sadly not reflected in the food.

On my latest visit I didn’t have time for an evening meal, but had a spare hour to kill for lunch and so popped in to see if the ugly rumours were true. To be fair to them, my salad starter was rather good, and I didn’t suffer any poisoning from it. When casting my eye over the menu I saw that the special of the day was 'Italian meatballs in tomato sauce with spaghetti'. This is one of my favourites, and I have eaten it throughout Italy and also cooked it myself, (although spaghetti is the wrong pasta for meatballs, I'm not a pasta purist).

What was put in front of me was a plate with cheap tasting spaghetti covered in a dark red sauce with tiny musket balls of hardboiled beef. The waiter gave me a knife and fork, and then turned and walked away. I called him back and asked for a spoon, and after staring blankly for a few seconds I assume he comprehended and walked slowly away to fetch one. I asked if the house had any Parmesan cheese, and then watched an even slower retreat back to kitchen to retreave a pot of grated cheese. All the while he never said a word. One does sometimes feel like firing a revolver into the air in Kampalan restaurants.

But back to the pièce de résistance, the meatballs.... I must muse on these a little more. The sauce tasted like a cleaning chemical had been added. The meatballs themselves were tiny, the size as well as the texture of lead bullets. They had no flavour in them whatsoever. When making meatballs some people mix in garlic, onion, chilli, tomato puree, basil, marjoram, cumin, there are endless options. This chef opted for Nothing but beef. He then must have steamed, roasted, boiled, grilled and microwaved for a few days to obtain the unique texture.

The owner really needs to drop something and grab his socks before Mediterraneo sinks into mediocrity.

2  Thank Bonviveurtraveller