City Royal Resort Hotel Kampala
$52
Agoda.com
$240
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was on a short weekend trip to Kampala and decided to stay here again, 6 months after my first visit to this hotel, which gave me a mixed experience.
I decided to return because of a several pluses: it is conveniently situated close to Bugolobi, which is a busy commercial centre, that now has a large mall with all the shopping faqcilities about 200m away from the hotel.

The rooms are large and clean. The bathrooms are very clean with plentiful hot water. The air conditioning was noisy, but worked well. It was ,overall, a nice place to relax after a hard day.
The other bonus was the front office staff who were very helpful indeed. Processing credit card payments was a breeze (with a 5% surcharge).

The drawbacks were:
The TV was large, with very few satellite channels. Not worth it.
The waiting staff are still poorly trained, this was my experience six months before. I had 3 meals in my room, but the way the meals were put together and presented and the way my table was set up showed lack of training. The full English breakfast was almost edible.
I avoided the restaurant altogether after a poor service experience during my last visit.

Overall: this is a nice hotel to lay down for the night. It is clean and comfortable with lots of hot water. And that is all. Do not go there for the frills because there aren't any. This is a budget hotel, you are best advised to eat out.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NairobiDreamweaver
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 18 days. The staff is friendly, the breakfast buffet good for Kampala standards, it was a very good price as I stayed so long. The room was light and large. No water or electricity problems and the WiFi was 90% of the time available. The restaurant is below standard but there is a nice Italian restaurant just down the road. Room was clean, the bed hard as I like it and I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Take a room across the passage from the pool over weekends as it is a wedding venue.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I came to Uganda on a mission, and had to be close to the city centre, and this was a good cheaper option, so wasn't expecting 5 star brilliance, and never got it. I was a little shocked to see building work but my room was big, had a jacuzzi and I can't complain about that.
The restaurant is TERRIBLE! Seriously if you want guests to stay and eat, and make money, please do something about that place.

OK SO ONE MAJOR WARNING - please do NOT take any trips with a company called GORILLA TRACKING SAFARI's LTD. Their so called owner, charged me 120dollars to go to a Kampala tour, which is something I found out I could do for 50 dollars max! I will, out of being fair, not name the person, but am warning people to stay clear of this company unless they want to publicly apologise and refund me the difference. The raccoon doesn't take kindly to being conned.

I found a great guide, driver and friend, who charges great rates, and will give you a great deal. His name is Vincent Sempala and he can be reached on Sempala@yahoo.com or on Uganda tel 0772670440.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at City Royal in januari 2013. The hardest bed ever, couldnt go up in the morning, horrible backache. Aircondition made such a noise. We found several cockroaches both in the room and in the bathroom. Very dirty carpet. Breakfast was a joke, very poor with lot of flys flying around the "food".
Very expensive considering their standard!
One evening we went down to the restaurant for a dinner and they had only chicken and pork to offer. Nothing else from several pages menu!? We took chicken, and after almost a hour chicken was bloody inside... After a dinner we went to the garden and guess what we saw through the kitchen window? A HOMELESS CAT WAS JUMPING AROUND AND EATING IN THE KITCHEN!!

The only plus goes to stuff, they were very kindly and helpfull.

Room Tip: DO NOT take this hotel!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank alek e
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Going to Africa for the first time and being met with such friendly people was lovely. Whilst I stayed here, the hotel actually hosted a wedding and they decked the place out beautifully. The rooms were lovely and as we were leaving super early the next morning, the staff even opened up early to ensure we could get breakfast at 5am, simply wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family