Lake Victoria Serena Golf Resort & Spa
Jumia Travel
$131
$103
Jumia Travel
All reviewslake victoriagolf coursedirt roadpro shopgreen feescitadel restaurantentebbe airportthe main hotelbusiness conferencerooms are beautifulgreat roomlobby areainternet connectivityswimming poolrooms are bigluxury hoteltilapia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel in July 2012. The room was lovely - each room having a balcony or patio with a view of Lake Victoria in the distance. Bed was very comfortable, flat screen TV with multiple channels available, no bathtub, but great shower (except the part where you get wet while adjusting the temp). A/C worked very well. The hotel is not right 'on' the lake, but the countryside between the hotel and the lake is picturesque. Had no problems with electricity or water (plenty of hot every time I needed it). [Note, this was not the case for some colleagues who stayed there for a couple of days]. The staff was amazing and friendly - got to know many by name - the staff really make the Serena special. Pool is lovely and clean. Check-in/check-out was effortless. There's a business center that was very helpful when I couldn't get internet connectivity (not the greatest location for this). The hotel has several restaurants and bars so although you are far from 'town' there are different options for eating/drinking to make things interesting. The food quality varied from very good to average - but compared to other hotels I've stayed at in Uganda it was quite good! There is a spa at the hotel also, but I didn't have a chance to try any of their offerings. The grounds of the hotel compound are lovely. The only downside to this hotel is its distance from either Kampala or Entebbe and the bad road you must travel to reach the hotel. Hopefully the road will someday be improved. I highly recommend this hotel and hope to someday stay there again myself!

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors have a nice balcony with table and chairs and great views!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MARY C
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Spent one night here. It's what you'd expect from a Serena Hotel - gorgeous grounds, a good, clean room, a lovely pool and spa and decent food.

My only gripe was the service was a bit slow, a common complaint in Uganda, but not so common at Serena Hotels. The staff were very friendly and apologetic, but could have worked a bit faster.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you want to get away To a place that has it all, this is a lovely resort outside of Kampala. It is new, updated, modern, and decidedly African at the same time. The rooms will remind you of romantic hunting lodges on safari, and the service staff is kind, efficient, and helpful.

The spirit of the place makes you relax and enjoy the serenity and beauty of Lake Victoria. The place wants you to have fun, kick back, and meet new friends. It's a great place for a business meeting, a romantic getaway, or a relaxing retreat.

The grounds are huge, expansive, and invite you to take it all in.

The price is right, and if you make the trek to Kampala, you won't be sorry for going out of your way a little bit for a big slice of wonderfulness!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Lake.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lauren a
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed in the hotel only one night but spent two days therein. The rooms are great, with a very comfy bed and lots of maneuvering space. The washrooms are clean but need some routine maintenance works given some are looking used. The services at the restaurant and bar are great and the front desk staff is amazing, or should I say of those I had opportunity to meet.
Prices tend to vary depending on season, but over all it is a little pricey, but explained away by the quality of service received in exchange. I sure would visit again
Located off the highway from the Entebbe International Airport towards Kampala City

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We are ex-pats living in Uganda. About once a year we get away to somewhere nice to relax for a few days away from the constant noise of nightclubs and all night church services. The Serena seemed like the best option.

We arrived on Friday – all seemed good – great room, great view.

Then, on Saturday, while walking to breakfast we spotted a large sound system being set up in the field beside the pool. We spoke to a staff member, she said "there will be no music, it is just a function". 30 minutes later the same member of staff came to us with the key for another room. “Please come and look at this room”. I asked why, she said "they will be playing music until 10pm".
About 5 minutes later (10:30am) the music started – I’m not exaggerating – this sound system was deafening! The windows were actually shaking. I’m sure the staff member apologised but we couldn’t hear her over the thumping noise!

We were moved to another room about 200 yards from the music – this was better but we could still hear it. The new room was a suite which was nice.

This ‘function’ was being held by a multi-national fuel company. Obviously this company are more important than us mere paying visitors. As the ‘function’ was in the field next to the pool – and from 2pm took over the pool – we couldn’t use it – confined to our room all day with the ‘thump thump thump’ in the background.
I don’t blame the fuel company – I blame the management of the Serena – they need to decide if they are a relaxing venue or a venue for big companies with buckets of cash to make as much noise as possible.
To make it laughable the fuel company continually shouted an invitation to all visitors at the Hotel to come to their function. Total disgrace. (Pun intended.)
If this function had not happened I would have given the Serena a very good review, however, at this is supposed to be, and I quote; “a resort of ultimate beauty, tranquillity and peace… the perfect resort to unwind and escape the stresses of the city life.” I must give a review to reflect me experience.

Also note: The pool area is NOT for guests only – visitors can pay a fee and use the pool. This means that weekends are very busy (especially Sundays) and in no way a place of ‘tranquillity and peace’. A place that charges well over $200 per night should have a pool for guests only, but for Serena management it seems to be all about getting extra money.

I was going to give 1 out of 5 but the place is quite nice and I feel sorry for the staff who have to deal with these issues so I’ll give a very generous 2 points.
My advice: ask if any such ‘function’ will be on and bring earplugs just in case.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room. If people are in a room above you, you can hear every footstep. Also ask for a room with a view of the Lake. The best rooms are away from the pool i.e. Block 10 or 11. The noise from 'functions' is less there.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple