“Always tasty and exciting food”

The Pearl of Africa
Ranked #167 of 313 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Most fancy restaurant in Kampala but food is not too expensive. Been there twice and never a bad experience with any of the dishes. Place has been almost empty both times we were there.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Not bad, but not amazing. The Serena's environment is the best in town, so one would expect that food has the potential to wow, but it has yet to do so, at least for me. But it's generally reliable. The service is variable. One time, you'll go and get some of the best service, another visit and it's mediocre.

I've also eaten at the buffet there, which is also fine, but not great. I've even had the buffet for Thanksgiving 2008, which was better than expected (traditional Thanksgiving options open to the public are apparently either the Serena or the American Club across town).

Reviewed January 28, 2012

The Serena Hotel has two restaurants; the Pearl of Africa and The Lakes. I rather think some customers are confused as to which one they've been to as some of the reviews below are definitely for The Lakes. So, as it doesn't appear to have its own entry, my review is also of the Lakes, which is the buffet restaurant opening out onto the water feature.

When spending time in Kampala, we visit this restaurant, usually twice each week, as it's simply the best I've found in Kampala. It's not cheap! 60,000 for the buffet or 100,000 on Seafood Night. That's akin to what you would pay in a Central London restaurant.

But, the food is generally very good and there is always a good choice of African and International dishes. Service is great. One night my steak was inedible. I thought I'd have a problem, as complaints in restaurants in Uganda
are never dealt with as efficiently as one would expect in Europe (including this very same restaurant last year - but that's another story). My partner tried the steak also and confirmed to me that it was awful. The waiter initially didn't know what to do, so he did what all waiters do in such circumstances - nothing at all. So, when he came to collect the plates, I told him again that the meal was inedible. He fetched the manageress who listened sympathetically and took the plate away.  Shortly after, she returned to tell me that she had tried my steak and so had the chef (that's called 'going the extra mile') and the verdict was...? They both agreed it was inedible. I was offered another which I declined. Alternatively, I was told I wouldn't be charged for it and could help myself to a free dessert from the buffet (I was dining a la carte that evening). And, furthermore, our guest, who was also dining a la carte, could also have a free dessert. Now that's what I call dealing with a complaint to the customer's satisfaction. Amazing, and a first for Kampala.

We went back to the restaurant on the following Wednesday, which was African Night. Food and service were both excellent and this restaurant remains our number one choice when visiting Kampala. We went there four times in our two week stay in the city.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Fine dining and great service with an air of exclusivity in Kampala

Reviewed December 21, 2011

The Kampala Serena makes for a rather classy setting for any meal and their Pearl of Africa restaurant is the pick of the options for fine dining. Like the hotel it is probably over-priced for where we are, but similarly the quality of service and presentation is of the highest order.

The food is excellent and the tree frog-serenaded setting, enchanting. The service too is excellent, right down to the coordinated revealing of the mains from underneath silver cloches.

If you fancy splashing out for a special occasion then this is the place.

1  Thank Steve C