“Perfection.”
Review of The Lawns - MOVED

The Lawns
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: !!! WE HAVE RECENTLY MOVED TO OUR NEW LOCATION!!! The Lawns blends the urban landscape & Golf course views with lush green tropical garden, offering with food selected all across continent and fused with local ingredients to create fusion delights. We want to make you feel warm and welcome while you enjoy our special preparations of wide varieties of meat options including wild game entrees. We invite you to relax, enjoy, and let our gardens, décor, food & wine take you to the country side! The restaurant can be accessed from two roads - Accacia Avenue and Lower Kololo terrace. On Accacia Avenue, when you are driving from town and get onto Accacia Avenue, and pass Golf Course, the first property on left hand is The Lawns Restaurant.
Nashville, Tennessee
“Perfection.”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Amazing meat. Great service. Delicious cocktails. Afternoon Tea. Quiet atmosphere.

We went here numerous times over the course of our 2 months in Uganda and it was by far the best meal we had. It's a tiny bit pricey but you understand after you taste the quality of the meat. Highly suggestion the baked pineapple carmel with ice cream for dessert! A great spot to dine in Kampala!

• Visited September 2012

Kampala, Uganda
“Nice place but service weird”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have been here twice and the setting of this place is really great. The food is good but not out of the ordinary and although the service was ok on both occasions I had some weird experiences with personal. One time a waiter knocked over a glass of wine, rather pricey at the lawns and thought it was ok not to bring me a new one, even after I asked for it (unless I paid). The other time a waitress asked for my business-card for the achive or something. Since me and my friend were in the middle of a conversation I told her I would give it later. Then the girl interrupted our talk for another 4 times in one hour to demand for the card which we thought was completely bizar. I also think that the place is expensive and slightly overpriced.

• Visited March 2012
The_Lawns_Restaurant, Owner at The Lawns, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
We thank you for your frank review. We have looked at the incidents you have mentioned, identified the staff members responsible for such behavior, and taken necessary corrective action internally, so as it is not repeated with any of our customers in future. We look forward to receive you again, and hope you will be more than satisfied next time with service & food.
Ripley, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting for a restaurant. Good quality game meat, disappointing Sunday Roast”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

The Lawns

I'd passed this place many times and always wanted to try it. So, this time, I made a firm note in my diary to visit for the Sunday Roast that they do each Sunday. I went with my partner and her daughter who were quite keen to try some of the exotic game meat this restaurant is renowned for.

It was raining heavily when we arrived but a member of staff came to the car with three large umbrellas. That was very courteous and greatly appreciated.

The setting for this restaurant is very nice. There is a big house set in beautiful, landscaped gardens and manicured lawns with a high brick wall on all sides. The restaurant itself is an open structure running down one side of the gardens with a small, self-contained bar area at one end. The whole layout was very pleasant and welcoming.

Only two other tables in the restaurant were occupied when we arrived and the diners at one them were getting ready to leave (but two more tables were occupied soon afterwards).

Now, what about the food? I'd already decided I was having the Sunday Roast, so I didn't really need the menu. My partner and her daughter had set their minds on eating crocodile so they both ordered crocodile with garlic and white wine sauce. This was served with rice. To start, they decided to share crocodile drumsticks. We were told you got three.

I ordered the roast beef and then had to go through a long list of options described as "accomplishments" on the menu, one by one, such as what type of gravy, vegetables, etc. I opted for the vegetable soup for starters. The wine we ordered was sadly "a little out of stock", so I chose a more expensive Australian Merlot at 69,000, which was very good.

When the food arrived, I was informed  by my dining partners that the crocodile drumstick (for there was one large one - not three!) was absolutely fantastic. I wish I could say the same about my vegetable soup. It had an oriental style to it with what looked liked noodles. It was reasonably nice but I was surprised to find the vegetables in it, such as carrots and bits of broccoli were, in fact, raw and very crunchy. It came with two pieces of toasted garlic bread.

When the main courses arrived, we were in for a few surprises. I'll start with the crocodile dishes. Both recipients pronounced these as being nothing short of excellent. They were very impressed with the quality of the food (and the wine!). As for my roast beef, well........ If you are British and expect a traditional roast beef in the British style, then you may be disappointed.

First of all, it came with six sauces, such as mint, apple sauce, brown gravy and red wine sauce, each in its own little serving dish. I'd asked for gravy only but they seem to take no notice of what you actually ask for. On the plate was a large bread roll, which I found most odd.  The steamed carrots were only just cooked and still slightly crunchy. The remaining vegetables, such as more carrots and green beans were raw and very crunchy. There were also some oriental style vegetables on the plate, including red onion. The three roast potatoes were borderline cooked. Now: the beef itself! It was actually two, half-inch thick chunks of very well cooke, dry beef. Imagine two, rather thick, leather shoe soles on your plate and that'll give you a good idea of what it looked (and tasted) like. The meal, as a whole, was passable if you were hungry, as I was, but, for the future, I cannot see myself every voluntarily choosing this again. A shame really, given the excellent meals my two companions were served.

Dessert, for those on the Sunday Roast menu was tea or coffee. I can't ever remember tea or coffee being served as the "dessert" but, I guess, there's always a first time. The tea was good. My companions ordered apple pie and ice cream and chocolate brownies and ice cream. These were both very good. The final bill for three people with wine and water was UGX222,000, which I thought was OK.That works out at about 18.52 of your English pounds per head.

Finally, we retired to the bar to have a glass of wine whilst waiting for our car to collect us.

Would we visit again? Most definitely, as it's such a lovely restaurant with some interesting and good food, but we won't be ordering the Sunday Roast!! No, thank you!

1 Thank kenc
Many thanks for taking time out, and leaving your feedback and review on tripadvisor. We really appreciate your kind words and positive feedback about the restaurant; however what we appreciate the most is your criticism about the Sunday Roast. We have taken your feedback seriously, discussed the matter with our Head Chef, and made some changes in the Menu/style of cooking, etc.
We wish to invite you once again to sample our Sunday Roast (on the house offcourse) and give us your feedback once again. Whenever you visit again on Sunday at Lawns, please ask for Mr. Patel.
Guayaquil, Ecuador
“Really Like This Place”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is right up the street from us, so we go here often. Only place to get game meat. A bit expensive- but most places are here. Their fajitas and pork chops are my favorite. Great service, and in a nice area. They have rabbits running around which can keep the kids occupied for a while.

Visited August 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Very nice restaurant with exotic game meat”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Nice service, good quiet location , exotic game grill and not too expensive ...
i recommend having the crocodile grill, its rather surprising

Visited August 2012