“Positively surprised!”
Review of Aponye Hotel

Aponye Hotel
Ranked #76 of 105 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed September 5, 2012

After reading all the negative comments on this forum we initially wanted to avoid this hotel. However, they offered airport pickup and early check-in which was convenient as we arrived very early from Cairo.
Prepared for the worst, we were positively surprised! The airport pickup was on time and charged the agreed cost, we really could check in at 4 am at no additional charge (!!! we only paid the standard price for the next night) and the rooms were clean and very ok for the cost of the room.
The only negative point worth mentioning is its location in downtown Kampala, so yes, there is noise during the night (but this was the same in almost every other city we stayed in East Africa). However, we preferred to stay in the center as we appreciated the possibility to walk to the Post Bus and restaurants without having to take a taxi all the time.
So, all in all I can only recommend this hotel to budget travelers!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mokkafino

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here mostly for its handy location smack bang downtown close to the taxi park. It is a funny place in that it is above a shopping mall and it is not so easy to get up to the hotel (3rd floor) when you have lots of bags and their perpetually out of order elevator is, well, out of order.
I stayed first in a double room with fan as there were no singles, it was about $23 but did have wifi and a tv with 3 channels, one of which showed some olympics in portuguese.
The room was ok but the fan was nowhere near the bed so was quite useless. On opening the window I got bitten hundreds of times - the mozzies around there are fierce.
It was a little noisy overnight with banging or doors going till 2 or 3 am (sounded more like staff that guests) and then some hammering at 7 am.So the next night I moved into another room which had a/c and was $27. This was better and quieter and i could leave the window closed. The TV did not really work though i don't go to Africa for TV.

The shower was pretty poor with the hot water more of an imagined warmth than actual but it worked, and after 2 days of bucket baths in Murchison i was ok with that.
A final word on the staff. While the porters are quite helpful the desk ladies could not give less of a damn if they tried. But trying is not in their job description. I found it more amusing than anything else but I could see how it could get annoying if you actually needed help. Their laundry is weird, charging more to wash socks than trousers, but it is what it is.

Fora night or two if you have an early taxi in the morning it is fine and a lot cheaper than the mid range hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid the ones with the balcony that opens into the courtyard. Balconies over the main road are coo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank traveldoc76
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I am writing this review as I sit on the bed in my room at the Aponye Hotel, at 3:39am, because I cannot sleep due to the deafening base coming from who-knows-where saturating my room. I am wearing ear plugs. I asked to be moved but the woman at the front desk stared at me blankly and told me I would have to pay more to move to a quieter section.

Customer service here is terrible; appropriate for a dive like the Hotel Aponye.

There are also many cockroaches in my room. Big ones, little ones... It’s pretty gross. I have been living in Uganda for about three months now and have never seen such an infestation anywhere else I have stayed.

My word of advice is to just go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrew G
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The hotel arraigned an airport transfer for us, which was great until we went to pay for it. The e-mail from the hotel listed one price, but the driver demanded more. This occurred at the front desk with the hotel manager present. We produced the e-mail but the manager and the driver both said the e-mail was wrong and we would have to pay more.

We attempted to change our US currency into Ugandan shillings at the airport, but the driver insisted that we wait, that we could get a better rate elsewhere. Against my better judgement I listened. When we get to the hotel, the manager kept finding "problems" with our US currency, and would not accept it. Although she would gladly "hold" a "bad" $100 bill until we could get to a bank the next day, after we told her we had to leave at 7:00 to catch a bus. I was finally able to find an ATM so we could pay her. Sure enough there was no-one around except for a guard sleeping on the lobby couch when we left the next morning.

The service was rude, the restaurant was below average, and overall it was not a good experience. The only good thing about this hotel was the proximity to the Post Office if you need to catch the Post Bus to other parts of the country.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank david2031
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Where do I start? The person (woman) at the reception/front desk was very unprofessional. I called from overseas to check to see that my family member had arrived and checked in okay and i was treated to rudeness!!!!!!! Because I did not know his room number I was shut down and told there are many 'bazungu' (white people) there and how was she supposed to know who he was...never mind the fact that I gave both his names a number of times. Her other phone then rang and without putting me on hold she went ahead to answer it and why am I not surprised that it was a persoanl call? Finally she hang up on me because I guess she thought it was the next best thing to do. Stay at this place at your own risk!!!! If the first bit of service (or lack of) is what they are offering, then I do not want to even know what the rest of the hotel has to offer. Shame on you Aponye...better step up!!!! with your customer service or get out of the businesss of hospitality all together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not waste your time and mind! You'll go crazy after dealing with the crappy front desk woman.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kyobutungyi K
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Situated downtown on busy street. Ok if you have a room at the back or middle as quieter. Reasonably clean but questionable electrics - wires hanging out of walls etc. Main issue for me was poor service, especially in the restaurant. Unfriendly, slow, and inflexible. Having said that, it is probably one of the cheaper hotels around

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank smithcj1
Reviewed January 25, 2012

For $30 per night for an air-conditioned double it is a reasonable price with helpful staff, wireless Internet, and clean sheets. But you get what you pay for: the bare minimum. Our room was not vacuumed under the bed and we couldn't stop sneezing and the duvet covers on top of the sheets were full of dust. There were cobwebs in the corners of the rooms and the mosquitoes were aggressive even with the nets. And the balcony was hilarious: Built but then encased in glass around it so no fresh air at night so defeats the purpose of a balcony. So, if you can find another hotel for the same price but is actually cleaned beyond the sheets and is sprayed for mosquitoes choose it instead. Maybe the free wireless Internet is what puts this hotel above the competition. But I think their days are numbered. And the shower rarely had hot water, cold water was too cold, and the shower did not have enough pressure.

Room Tip: Check under the bed and the ceiling corners for dust and cobwebs.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple