“Great Value Indeed But Beware”
Review of Aponye Hotel

Aponye Hotel
Ranked #76 of 105 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This hotel truly is a great deal. We paid $23 for a double room. I am certainly not complaining about that but I do think there are some things reviewers should know before they book or decide to stay here.

This hotel is smack dab in the heart of downtown Kampala. This is NOT a good thing. The street that this hotel is on is ALWAYS crowded with trucks delivering stuff. It is so congested that our tour drivers could NEVER pick up or drop us off on our street. We had to hike in a couple of blocks away. This is not a problem but guests should be forewarned especially if you will be traveling with any suitcases as the streets are MAD with people and cars. It can literally take 45 min to go a few short blocks.

The other thing I wanted to mention is there is really no reason to stay in the heart of downtown Kampala. It will drive you crazy with the dust, noise and congestion. Many of the restos that are rated on TripAdvisor for Kampala are located in Kololo. Stay there. There just isn't a lot to do in downtown unless you want to witness a very very busy city (can't you see that anywhere in the world?)

If you do find yourself in the heart of downtown Kampala, go to Sam's resto. It is an Indian resto that is great abeit a bit over priced. The manager there is gracious and very hospitable.

One more thing: Aponye has many many roaches. Just go there knowing that. I grew up with plenty of roaches so it didn't bother me, but like I said, reviewers should know this.

Lastly, on the plus side, Aponye surprisingly had a nice breakfast and nice staff. The building really was very secure and they had room service! Pleasantly surprised by that.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dianahuynh

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights and was really pleased at what you got for your money. Great location in the middle of town, if in a slightly mad street, but I think most of Kampala is like that. Room was clean, felt safe, friendly staff, quick turn around and cheap washing service. Ate in the hotel restaurant twice and it was tasty, cheap and quick service.

Would go back.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Vik_Fletch
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We have stayed there for almost a week and we had a pleasant stay there.The hotel is inexpensive and the services and the staff were nice.We paid less but get good enough services.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrandMstravelers
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Stayed here twice on my travels. The manager and staff were very helpful, the rooms clean and security good - felt safe as a solo female traveler.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank 186338Traveler
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We stayed at the Aponye Hotel twice. The second time there was a misunderstanding regarding the booking and the general manager upgraded us to a better room. He then took care of us, gave us advices about places to go and visit, brought us personally to an exchange office with very good rates, organized the taxis in the early morning hours and brought all our postcards to the post office after we left. Excellent service! Thank you!
The rooms are very good quality for the price and there is a storage room where they can keep your valuables for all the days you need.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We booked this hotel last minute for a stay of two nights and were not disappointed.

The hotel is very modern, clean and comfortable, and the restaurant offers good quality food . However, there are a few drawbacks, principally that the lift is permanently out of order and the hotel rooms are several flights of stairs from street level. Don't book if you're unfit! Also, the mosquito net was in poor condition so I got bitten a few times.

Having said that, the rooms are ever so cheap and the ceiling fan and small balcony were nice additions.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I have now stayed at this hotel three times and would not consider going back to Kampala and staying anywhere else ! I love it there ! The rates are unbelievably reasonable for what you get, I have hardly ever had a problem getting hot water, maybe once or twice in the morning but that is when everyone else is showering so it's understandable and the staff are fantastic...nothing is too much trouble and they are extremely friendly and helpful...I have never once had to carry my own bags up the stairs as the staff do it before you even ask....I have never ever seen prostitutes or pimps there and I did ask them after reading that review....apparently they were brought in by some undesirables who were staying there that time so I really do not think that is an issue.I truly honestly could not recommend this hotel more...they make you feel like you are at home away from home....and the restaurant food is probably one of the best Ive eaten in Kampala-fantastic chef !

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple