Lagoon Resort
$80
$75
$179
$157
All reviewsthe cottagesnice poolboat ridelake victoriahot watercabinbandadustuganda
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 26, 2013

A relatively short boat ride away from Kampala, you'll find this a very relaxing place where it seems you are very far away from the city indeed. Perfect for a weekend getaway, friendly service (we got the kayaks for some peddling around in the lagoon at no extra cost), very decent food, some nice spots to hang out and overall a great location for unwinding and doing nothing. Even though the cottages are placed a bit close together, we didn't hear much from our neighbours, probably because the birds around make enough noise already. So perhaps bring some ear plugs if you're a bit urbanized and not very used to hearing sounds of nature 24/7.

Also, one of the downsides of sleeping in nature is that you might encounter some small creepy crawlers entering your cottage, but the owner assured us the place gets a decent treatment for that at least once a week, and overall it wasn't an issue and we had a great night's sleep. But perhaps best to zip up your bags and not let things like toothbrushes lie around to prevent gekkos having their way with it. And luckily there were hardly any mosquitoes, something you might expect while sleeping on the shore of a large body of water. Furthermore, the pool side could be pimped up a bit (how about a paint job?), although the stone benches there, in the shadow of a large tree, are excellent for dozing off or reading a book without the risk of being splashed on by others. It's also great for bird spotters as there are some nice specimens flying around and if that's your thing, so bring some binoculars.

Overall highly recommend, especially if you want to get away from Kampala but do not want to spend a lot of time travelling to get to your destination. It's about 30 minutes by boat from the marina at the Speke Resort in Munyonyo. Apparently the author of the Bradt Guide to Uganda owns a house where you'll pass by during the boat ride, so that's quite a thumbs up to the attractiveness of the general area. Be sure to call ahead to book or to check the time the boat leaves in case you're just spending the day and not the night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VincentUG
Reviewed June 24, 2013

What a wonderful experience at Lagoon resort. We were met by friendly management and escorted to the stunning reception/dining room. Everything during our stay, from the customer service to the incredible meals, the architecture to the personalised baby menu were second-to-none. I look forward to visiting next year and hope for just a few more child-friendly activities. We enjoyed kayaking, fishing, swimming and lounging. Management even welcomed us into their home for my little one to play on the trampoline and enjoy ice-cream making! Top class hotel, the best I have experienced in my 4 years in Uganda!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Genevieve S
Reviewed May 20, 2013

After some weeks travelling over bumpy roads and escaping the terrible smoggy and crowed Kampala it was great to relax some days in this green paradise. Especially because we were the only guests!
The ride by boat from Kampala is rather rough, but the skipper managed to keep our feet dry.
The main building is constructed very nice by the owner himself and tastefully furnished and decorated by one of the sons. Overlook the lake at sunset from the deck and enjoy the view. Admire to the great blue turaco’s and the laughing hornbills.
Go for a walk to the neighbouring village with very kind people, escorted by the dog of the lodge! Relax at the swimming pool and increase your tan.
The guesthouses were not built as nice as the main building, were not mosquito-proof and needed some cleaning.
The kitchen is great and the service was kind and good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The two days @ Lagoon Resort were the first two days in Uganda. It was an good start to get used to the climate and the country.

My room was named Rhino. It is a small cottage with an terrace. From this terrace you can spot monkey and several species of birds. The room was nice and clean. First I was wondering that there was no fan, but after all I did not miss it and I had always a good sleep.

Breakfast, Lunch and dinner are served in the main building. The quality of the food was excellent.

One day I made a "community walk" to see how the people are living and what they are growing. One afternoon I rented the boat to get closer to the different birds. it was definitely worth the price. Just ask the Hassan or his father when the boat will be available.

The resort is family owned and run by the family. All the people are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I had been to Lagoon Resort in November last year for lunch, where we were served freshly grilled fish, which was incredible. As I was staying elsewhere and this way only a day trip, I promised the owner, Steve and his son Mark, that I would stay overnight the next time.

Lagoon Resort is nothing like I have experienced before: you take a boat from the marina at the Speke, where a gent named Duncan proficiently zips you across the waters of Lake Victoria to the end of a quiet cove where a pier on a white sandy beach greets you.

There is a central lodge for meals and drinks, adeptly managed by Patrick, who is resourceful enough to make even the most outrageous requests happen.

I stayed at "Buffalo", which is a short walk down the pebbled trail to the right of the central lodge. I was surprised to find it so comfortable! Double bed, spacious shower, hot water, enough space for my stuff to be put away and not trip over... the entire stay was a great experience and the panoramic views breathtaking!

I'm now back in Kampala for a few days and the busyness of being in the city is a clear reminder of just how tranquil and relaxing the weekend was. I feel rested and energized!

Thanks guys. Look forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: The coffee served here is unbelievable!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo