“Well, I was waiting for more...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Golf Course Hotel

Golf Course Hotel
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Kampala
Madrid, Spain
“Well, I was waiting for more...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is OK but it's not pretty new...

Perhaps an update could change its classical image!

The rooms are big enough but the twin beds are pretty small if you’re tall!

The breakfast is perfect and you could it for the whole day…

The upper restaurant (level 12) is ok and not expensive… but its name “Revolving” is perfect because of you are going to go out a bit dizzy!

The price is not very cheap (197 USD for two and night) it less than you’re going to receive in other five starts hotel… But considering that you’re in Kampala it’s ok!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I organised a conference in the Golf Course Hotel this October (2012) and I wanted to write a review because I was very satisfied with the service of the conference managers.
First of all, the conference has incredible rooms, even for very big events like weddings, etc. There have different kind of rooms, so you might find exactly what you are looking for.

Everything was prepared in advance, and I had a good communcation with the team previous to the event (all via email, as I was in Europe).

I love the catering, for the coffee breaks and the lunch. It was a good mixure of Ugandan traditional dishes and local products but with something to satisfy every taste.

But what it positively surprise me the most was the flexibility of the event managers, as I had to change the rooms and the number of PAX several times.

I also stay in the hotel for five nights. My room was huge and nice, with a nice view to the golf park. I found the price quite expensive, but I can not compare with other hotels as I have not been in others in Kampala. Breakfast is nice, you have a cook to make your eggs in front of you and this kind of things.
I also used the transport pick-up of the hotel and there, I would have loved to get some advice from the reception, as I almost lost my plane as I was not informed when booking about the incredible traffic jam in Kampala.
Ah! You can not change money in the hotel but you can pay there in dollars.

Overall, good, especially regarding the conference, event and catering services.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views to the golf park.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was my second visit and after losing my reservation and having a room facing the road on my first visit, I got a golf course facing room this time. The rooms are enormous and well fitted. Lovely big comfortable bed. TV good. Internet is slow. I suggest going to Orange in the next door Garden shopping centre and buying an internet modem.
My first room (108) had a leak from the A/C so moved to room 415. Supposed to be executive room but it was smaller than my other room and difference was just a bar and high chairs. Outside the rooms 413 to 415 on each floor they have an exercise bike and running machine. This was awful as there was a fitness fanatic that got up at 6am every day to use the equipment. The noise was unbearable and was moved to room 423 at the end of the corridor.
The breakfast is good with a wide selection for everyone.
The staff were very apologetic and helpful.
When booking be careful to notice that VAT and local tax is NOT included. It took my room rate from 176 USD to 189 USD a day.
This hotel is so nearly very good but just needs a bit of thought and attention

Room Tip: Do not take rooms on any floor that end in 13 to 15 due to exercise equipment right outside the door...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Martin C
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

My father had stayed at this hotel previously on one of his business trips, and he told me to stay away from the Spur... Boy was he right.

Not expecting anything much from this, as it was arranged by my employer, I must say that when looking at this hotel in context to the other hotels you come across in Uganda, and the rest of Africa mind you, this hotel is really quite good.

In short:
+ Front desk staff were friendly and very helpful (helping me find my way to an ex pat bar via 'boda boda' motorcycle)
+ Rooms are HUGE and bathroom was modern.
- The bedding and carpets etc were very dated.
-+ Breakfast is decent, but count yourself lucky if the chef is around to fry you an egg.
+ Mineral water stock is always replenished promptly (definitely a must in a country like Uganda)
- Spur restaurant is exceptionally below par, don't even bother.
+ Staff at the 1st floor bar are very friendly and diligent.
- Air conditioning unit is very loud and blows directly onto the bed making for an uncomfortable sleep.

That's it for now, I'll be back there next week on more business and I hope that time round I'll be able to write about more positives.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NemZa
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

2 night stay booked through our office in Uganda, so wasnt sure what to expect. Room was enormous with huge windows and a great view of trees lining the golf course. Everything else was basic at best. Staff cannot be bothered to serve you, except for checkin desk. Breakfast starts at 6am, but really starts at 7am so dont rush down, and remember that by the time they help you, you will have to eat quick to get out in time for any morning meeting. Room service on first night was ok. Dinner at Spurs on second was beyond salvage. Win some and lose some.

Room Tip: pray! and pray lots to the right room gods!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sumstar
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

My office arranged this stay so I didn't expect anything much. Location was good and check-in and out was prompt. Breakfast selection was decent. And this is how far I could stay positive. A room I was given was on the ground floor and far end of the corner. No service staff was available to help me carry the luggage. Room was large but very dated. Linens didn't feel terribly clean. The room was dark and could hear traffic from the road behind. No hot water in that room. Asked to change a room, but was informed that the hotel was fully booked. Had to endure two more nights there. Don't reckon I would go back there as there are better options available in Kampala.

Room Tip: Higher floor might be better.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bohemian2011

Travelers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Oakland, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Being unfamiliar with Kampala, and having read some of the mixed reviews here, I didnt know what to expect at this hotel.
What I found was a huge clean room which looked newly decorated, with attractive wood accents, TV, enormous bathroom, double-sink, glass enclosed shower, bathtub, and a separate walk-in closet.with safe and iron.
The bed was comfortable. Wifi worked fine in room and lobby. The view out the room's back window is of the golf course, and makes it feel like countryside, not a big city. The location of the hotel is good if you like to shop; it's an easy walk, right next to Garden City Mall with its shops (check Banana Boat for gifts), coffee houses, Nakumatt supermarket and restaurants.
We wanted to try the revolving restaurant, but it's closed on Monday. Breakfast was fine: fresh fruit, good coffee and chef doing omelets, served in a tropical setting by the pool and gazebo.
Other tourist guests I spoke with had the same reaction : Golf Course Hotel was a very pleasant surprise!! It may not have the hotel star level of the Kampala Serena, but it is less than half the price, and more than adequate!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the golf course. The hotel will not guarantee those, as they are popular, b...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo