“Does what it says on the tin”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kampala
Backpackers Hostel & Campsite
Ranked #52 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Kampala
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Recently stayed here for a couple of nights at the beginning and end of a whistle stop trip to Uganda. We were camping so didn't experience any of the issues regarding rooms. We found the toilets to be be fine, they worked the whole time we were there and were welcome after 2 weeks of longdrops in other places! The showers were erratic and mostly cold, but again very welcome after no showers in our other sites!

Yes the electricity goes off daily but we weren't relying on internet access so it was fine. The food is good value and tasty. The bar area is cosy and it's a great place to meet people and chat.

Gloria is the jewel in this crown - she is amazingly helpful and friendly and would be the main reason to come back here. I brought a group of young students and will be returning next year with another group.

Watch out for the local Vervet monkeys who will venture onto the campsite to try and steal food - making a lot of noise and waving arms at them seemed to keep them at bay...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed in back-a-packers (as it seems to be known locally) for approximately 2 months and absolutely loved it.

Made a lot of good friends and had a great time. My room was upstairs and only had 3 walls, rather than a negative I loved waking up in the morning to the open (and even on one occasion to a monkey)

The staff were on the whole very nice and friendly, they remembered me when I came back to catch my flight home.

The food was decent. Sometimes a bit of a wait but I would happily sit outside socialising. It really felt like we had a little community going there. One of my highlights of east africa

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Had a wonderful time at this hostel. We were looking for a safe spot to stay in Kampala for a couple of days - this fit the bill perfectly. The staff were extremely helpful (and not to mention kind). Friends and I stayed in one of the outdoor bunks - mosquito nets were a little chewed up, so be sure to bring your own spray.
A bit of a younger crowd (early to mid 20's) so not sure that I would stay again - but that is only because I'd be the old gran!

All in all, great time here.

Room Tip: Opt for a private shower if you can. The fact that there isn't always hot water is not the end o...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We only stayed in Backpackers one night. The bar/dining area is fine, food was ok. Room was not nice - really bad smell, bed wasn't very comfortable and would question how clean it was. We slept on a sheet we had brought with us.

The good things you could comment on: it's convenient, it had four walls, a roof, it was safe, running water, flushing toilet. If that's all you're looking for then Backpackers will deliver. But more than that you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I may go as far as to say that Backpacker's is my favorite little hideaway on the planet. I do a lot of traveling alone, so it is always nice to be able to sit around and meet new people, whether it is the staff of a place or other travelers. Throughout the day, this is always possible here. It is also usually pretty quiet throughout the day to get some writing or reading done. (This may change when a large group first arrives, though.)

At night, it kind of turns into a loud party, which for some can be a turn off, especially for people going to bed early. (I have also stayed at Red Chilis, and although it is nice, the place is usually pretty dead and somewhat hard to meet anyone interested in interacting. It is the opposite of Backpackers in this way. If that's your thing, check them out.)

Every time I've been back here, it has been as clean as I would expect it to be with so many people in and out all the time. The food is good, though there is a wait most of the time. Try to order when it isn't too busy if that's an option. Reasonable prices, especially for a dorm-bed.

I love this place and will continue to be there every chance I get.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank anthonysingram
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Convenient to Entebbe Airport, Kampala Backpackers is a great place to set as a home base. Having been working in a village with very primitive living conditions for quite some time, returning to Backpackers from time to time is a pleasant respite.

Excellent value for the money. With attentive and friendly staff, reliable showers, clean rooms and lavatories, this hostel attracts a lot of expats, tourists, graduate students, and most helpful to me, volunteers working for charities or NGOs. A great place to meet a variety of experts in their fields. The atmosphere is friendly and warm, and the campus has a safe, expansive open feel.

Backpackers is like an oasis in Kampala. Close to the center of town (3,000-4000 USh by boda boda), one wouldn't know it's so close to such a noisy, sprawling metropolitan center.

The menu offers simple variety, and the recent addition of a wood fired pizza oven has pleasantly expanded the options. A bit pricy, the pizza is nonetheless excellent, and a nice break from motoke or pasho.

I'll be returning to Uganda to further my work next year, and Backpackers will once again be my home base.

Room Tip: The dormitory sleeping is tidy, clean, and secure. But for a little more, I chose a single room. A...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 43Brian
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The hostel was an enjoyable break from being on Makerere Campus for 3 weeks. It is a busy place but has a great open concept. There is ample outdoor areas for lounging and camping. Food was also great, I spent about 30,000 shil minimum on food and drink pre day. Power outages were a problem, especially if you are relying on a computer-keep charged! I had a single room, which could really use a mat to cover up the massive holes in the tiles (mats are really cheap!) The other issue in that area is the echo-if you get one group of drunk 19 year olds who have no concept that other people are there sleeping-you are in for loud night. There could be a quiet policy at some point, in that area. Staff are friendly!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo