“Great place, great price!”

Red Chilli Hideaway
Ranked #3 of 118 Specialty Lodging in Kampala
Nairobi, Kenya
“Great place, great price!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our group needed an inexpensive place to stay while in Kampala, and Red Chilli was recommended to us. We actually found it to exceed our expectations. Five of us stayed in a cottage, and it was much larger than we thought it would be! Accommodations are basic, but very adequate, especially for the cost. The staff was very friendly and helpful before arrival and after. They can help arrange transport around Kampala easily. We found the other guests to be very pleasant, and the lounge/reception area was a fun place to hang out and meet other people. It was quiet at night (except for the wildlife!), and the food and drink selection was good. The only two negative aspects were check-in time and lack of towels. The website clearly says in 2 places that check-in is at noon. We arrived at 10, knowing we were early, but were told check-in wasn't until 2, but they'd try to get our place ready sooner. About 1:00 we asked again, but were again told that check-in wasn't until 2. It was 2:00 when our place was ready. That should definitely be changed on the website. We were also short 2 towels in our cottage. I asked for more towels twice, but there weren't any. So, plan on checking in at 2 and bring a towel and you'll enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: The cottage was very spacious, but the twin rooms were tiny. However, for the great price, it was a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Debbie W, Owner at Red Chilli Hideaway, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Jennifer W

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Red Chilli. We're so glad you enjoyed the place - in particular the food and our staff!

Our website publishes the correct check-in time of noon, so I'm not sure what went on on your arrival. I can only guess that the housekeepers had got behind after a mass check-out and that they had to push your check-in time back to 2.00. If so, this should have been explained properly to you on arrival and I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this must have caused you. I must also apologise for the lack of towels during your stay..they seem to vanish as fast as we can replace them..but we've recently stocked up again, so hopefully if you ever pass this way again, we should have enough for you all!

Debbie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
delhi
Reviewed September 28, 2012

WOW ..... what a place it is ...... cool, relaxed, clean and awesome ambiance ...... loved this place thoroughly ....... if you are staying in Kampala, stay here .... don't go anywhere else ..... I stayed here for three days in the dormitory and i loved it ..... whether you have plans to roam around Kampala/Jinja/Entebbe .... all these places are nearby and a round trip within the day is possible ..... talking about the Red Chilli .... don't stick to your room or bunk .... get out to the common area .... play pool .... surf the net (free over wi-fi) .... have a beer ..... gorge on the delicious food they have on offer ..... and best part ... make friends ..... the place is simply awesome ..... food is great especially the evening specials ..... whether its pizza, or barbecue and nearly all kinds of continental cuisines are available ... it was great .... the facilities are neat, clean and hygienic ... staff is courteous & polite .... can also avail the opportunity to book any kinds of safari or any other excursion through them ..... and best part of all ..... non of these will pinch your pockets .... MINDBLOWING .....

Room Tip: my suggestion ... go for the dorms ...... that is if you are alone or with friends .... if with fami...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Saka420

Wow - thanks for the brilliant review! So glad you enjoyed the place as much as we do!

Antsirabe, Madagascar
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I will never forget the very helpful smilling staff!!! Whatever I asked for they found a solution within 10 minutes. The guys are very welcoming and they make you feel like you're part of the family! They serve simple but delicious food and they have a very intersting drinks menu.... Internet is available on the on the 2 lobby computers and also on wireless. I just stayed there for 3 days but it was enough to convince me to go back there whenever I'll be in Kampala again.
And it is incredibly cheap for waht they offer!!!

Room Tip: Try the cottages, you won't regret it!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear Jamie N

Thanks so much for the feedback - we're so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again hopefully soon!

Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed with a group at the Red Chilli Hideaway for four nights in September. We stayed in a two bedroom bugalow with a bath, kitchen, dinning room and living room. The room was about $65 US per night and could sleep 5. This is a 50's built compound with many room types and many international travelers. The property felt very safe within a walled gated compound with a guard at the gate 24/7. During our stay we did have issues with the toilet tank not filling and no hot water. The toilet was repaired on the second day but they could not seem to get the hot water to work. They did adjust the price for this inconvenience.

We ate at the property on several occasions and found everything we ordered to be very good. From a salami and cheese grilled sandwich to steak, to pizza I enjoyed everything I had. The staff at the property is excellent. On woman in the kitchen took my name on Thursday when we arrived and the next time I ordered on Saturday afternoon she still remembered my name.....how did she do that.

Everyone at the property is very friendly. By the last night there I was amazed how many travelers and staff knew my 17 year old son. Everyone greeted him by name.

This property is like know where we have stayed before. It is rustic. It did provide everything we needed in lodging for the end of our time in Uganda.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Markbenn

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Red Chilli - we are really sorry you had some issues with the water in your cottage during your stay but we're so pleased you enjoyed the food and our friendly staff. Hopefully look forward to welcoming you back one of these days!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Great location in Kampala, safe, cheap enough for backpackers, from there you could organise much of your trip, the guys will help out and there is lots of information to use. Great bar, pool table and eating area, the rooms were clean, and the food was good. The showers were almost always hot (shower when it is quiet!). The place was full of many backpackers, all with recommendations of where to go, you could easily get a motorbike or walk into town, and it was near a few great places to party. I would stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank emcrawley
Dear Crawley7

Many thanks for all the positive feedback - we're really glad you enjoyed your stay!

Mid-West
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at Red Chilli in Kampala a few weeks ago while doing some work in Uganda. This was my second time staying at Red Chilli. I stayed in a double ensuite room for $30/night.

The room itself was fine. Comparable to the first double ensuite I had but in a different part of the building. The rooms are dates with cracks in the walls and spider webs, roaches and dead bugs in the corners but I don't expect much so wasn't bothered by them. The bed was comfy and the net had no holes. The shower was hot and water pressure adequate. There was no shower curtain so the whole bathroom is soaked when you're done. Don't take your clothes in there before your shower! The food at the restaurant was good, decently priced and came quickly. The staff was friendly and everyone I talked to was lovely. They have wifi internet (not in the rooms, reception/bar area only) but it was down the whole time I was there unfortunately. Can't fault the hostel for that, it happens.

The bad: I would never want to stay in the room I was in again simply because it was directly across from the reception/bar and it is very noisy. The windows had screens but the actual window part didn't close. So I couldnt block out the noise. The music played loudly until midnight or so and even after that there were at times loud people talking (and singing) outside my window sitting on the picnic bench. The grounds people (guards? housekeepers?) also started talking/singing/yelling/banging early in the morning and it was quite loud. For someone who is going to be out partying with the rest of the folks this may not affect you. But I had to be up and at meetings at 7am some morning so those loud late nights were a bit rough.

I do plan to stay again in the future simply because I usually enjoy the atmosphere (except at 1130pm when I need to be up early!), the people are friendly, the prices cheap, the food good and the location convenient. Next time I'll be sure to ask for a room further away from reception. I may even try one of the little cottages which are cute and I hear nice inside.

Room Tip: Away from reception/the bar!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Debbie W, Owner at Red Chilli Hideaway, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Haiti Travels

Thank you for your review of Red Chilli. I was glad to hear you have enjoyed your 2 stays with us although I was very concerned to hear about the spider webs and dead bugs in your room. Please let reception know if you find the room in this state again! We will also look into the shower curtain issue.

I’m sorry you had no internet during your stay with us. We have just upgraded to a better internet provider (fingers crossed!) so your stay most probably coincided with the interim period between contracts. I’m also sorry you found your room in the building opposite the bar to be too noisy. We do have a policy of trying to turn down the music later in the evening and then turn it off altogether at a sensible hour, but I guess it’s difficult to make other people be quiet outside your room when it is in a more public area. I really suggest you give the cottages a try next time – they are more expensive but more spacious and much further away from the bar and definitely quieter. You’d also have the option then of cooking for yourself.

Many thanks again and best regards – we hope to see you again soon!
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed on 2 different occassions at Red Chilli, our first stay was pre tour and our second stay was post tour. Our first stay was in an ensuite room which was really great. We had consistent hot water and the room was quite sizable.
Our second stay was upgraded to a cottage, which was way overkill for what we needed but looked forward to it. While the facilities in the cottage were very good, like small fridge and fully equiped kitchen there was NO water pressure in the bathroom which made bathing very difficult. The rooms were huge with plenty of room to put our baggage and there was a pleasant sitting room at the front. We were concerned about being really close to the factory but did not find noise a problem.
We were disappointed by the food at Red Chilli and while it is not unreasonably priced we found the quality a little lacking, and on some occassions they didn't have the full ingredients to complete the meals. E.G. no potatoes for mash potato, or no eggs for breakfast. Also the service is a little slow be sure to order on 'Africa Time', do not order when you are already hungry.
Most of the drivers and boda boda riders that hang out at Red Chilli are very good and had great experiences with Moses and Sadie.

Room Tip: Chillaca double room with ensuite was very good with plenty of hot water.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CestLeVie

Thank you for taking the time to review Red Chilli. I’m so glad you enjoyed the double room ensuite and the cottage although I’m sorry the water pressure in the cottage let you down. I’m also really disappointed that you didn’t enjoy the food – we try really hard to get it right and thought that it was extremely rare that we didn’t had all the ingredients in stock…especially eggs! You say you found the “quality lacking” – we’d love it if you could drop us a line, telling us what you ate and how we could improve?

Many thanks and best regards