“I would go again!”

Ranked #5 of 101 Hotels in Kampala
Lagos
“I would go again!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I never take time to write reviews but feel compelled to write this one. It was my first time to Kampala. One friend recommended Humura and other hotels and another friend confirmed that Humura would be suitable. My experience was fantastic from the first time I called the hotel to book. Frida was excellent and most welcoming. She did everything she undertook to do and at the appropriate time. There was no need for follow up. She was helpful in organizing a car to pick me up from Entebbe and to give me a little tour of Kampala. All in all, a very nice experience. I would go again!

Dele O

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

is it perfect, no but all the better for it
the rooms are clean and very comfy, big shower and comfy bed.
the breakfast is not huge in choice but fine, cereals, toast and bread, panckakes and cooked
free wifi a small fitness room and a nice little pool
you do wake a little early due to the bird song but thats not bad really.
it is a 1/2 hour walk to the mall and major attractions. it is an individual hotel rather than a chain which personally i prefer. it is my preference for Kampala. price is good to

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Russell E
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Humura is my second home and my favorite place to retreat to in Kampala. I first visited my supervisor living at Humura in 2012, when I lived in the country for seven months as a student. He had only positive things to say about the hotel, and personally I loved the quiet green atmosphere – something that is very rare to find centrally in Kampala. Therefore, when I needed to travel back to Kampala for research between June and October 2013, I found that Humura was my number one choice of accommodation. This choice was the best I ever took!
Humura is located very close to the city centre of Kampala, i.e. a seven minutes boda boda (motorcycle taxi) drive away. Although I love Kampala, to me it is a hectic and chaotic crazy city. It has therefore been lovely to retreat to Humura and its relaxed atmosphere after a long day’s work. Humura, actually meaning “rest”, “relaxation” or “calm down”, is perfect for just that; when you enter the gate it is like entering a different world. At Humura I felt I could both relax and work, both inside and outside under sunshades or parasols.

The rooms have comfortable beds with clean and delicate white sheets and mosquito nets (always a good idea, although I never had a problem with many mosquitoes in the room). The rooms also have a comfortable working space and a lovely view. The internet at Humura (in the rooms, in the gardens, in the restaurant, and in the reception) is as good as at home. During my stay, all the bathrooms were upgraded; they are now really nice looking, delicate and comfortable, with new towels. Admittedly, Humura experience periods with power cuts affecting access to electricity, internet and hot water. But, with some experience from living in Kampala, I can ascertain that Humura is one of the better places to stay. The generator is very efficient, and the staff is working hard to make sure guests have top access to these essentialities. Staff is only a phone call away; inform them if something should not be working adequate.

During my stay, Hannah White was hired as the new Food and Beverage Manager and later a new Head Chef from Kenya arrived; it was excellent as the food improved enormously. I have truly enjoyed the process of experiencing all the new food. Now a variety of bread and pastries are freshly made every morning. Additionally there are freshly squeezed juices and sliced fruit every morning, order African tea with ginger and you have a little piece of heaven. All food is now using local and fresh ingredients, and fresh herbs and spices are included. When I left the country the menu was still a work in progress, but as I loved the food already I cannot wait to be back to try out the full improved menu. I am also aware that there are plans for more specialized weekend menus, which sounds lovely.

As with the food, the standard of service was highly improved when Hannah started working at Humura. The staff is very friendly and the service at Humura is now great. I am especially grateful to the barkeeper James, Paul in housekeeping, Christine at the reception, Hannah, and Joseph the taxi driver; they are all truly friendly, helpful, caring and wonderful, and without them my stay would not have been the same.

I can highly recommend Humura resort if you wish a beautiful and peaceful atmosphere to retire to after a day’s work in the hectic Kampala.

Room Tip: My favourite rooms are Room 8, 9 and 10 on the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Monica O
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We chose this Hotel as it was slightly out of the hum drum craziness that is Kampala. We made the right choice. We slept well in a comfortable bed and the surroundings too were very nice.We were met by lovely Hilda at reception who had dealt with my reservations and booking alterations very well from the start. Our room was relatively clean although not clean to any real acceptable hotel standards. We also had cold showers which was not good enough and only one towel on arrival. The food was poor but the beer was cold! The hotel is set in nice gardens and has a pleasant pool bar area.
All in all i would probably stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was travelling by myself and stayed at Humura for a week. The staff were very friendly and helpful both at front desk and in the restaurant. My room was a good size, clean and quiet. Wifi accessability was just as good as it was at home.

I think the food though was a little disappointing for a hotel which wants to be four star. There was not really a lot of choice if you were there 7 days. As I was a lone female traveller I was not up for taking taxis all over Kampala to dine alone each night so was reliant on hotel food. I would have liked more variety of an international flavour.

The beer was very nice and the eccentric playlist of the DJ was very amusing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Only know that room 3 is fine.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank sarah t
Humura, Manager at Humura Resorts, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Humura always appreciates feedback from our guests, as we use it to continuously improve the service experience of those we most value. First, we would like to sincerely apologize that your stay was not ideal. We pride ourselves in indeed being a tranquil boutique hotel providing personalized service that our guests who come from around the globe have highly rated over the years.

Humura Resorts prides its self on using local, fresh produce and we want all of our customers to enjoy each and every one of their dining experience. We are sorry that you found the menu limited during your week long stay at Humura.

We have responded to your comments by changing our menu so that there is a wider variety of options available, including more international flavours, for guests to order. We now also have weekly and weekend special menus so that even more choice is available to our guests.

We very much appreciate your feedback and we hope that next time you visit you be able to enjoy every dining experience you have at Humura Resorts.

Kind regards,
Hannah

Food and Beverage Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here for one week during a business trip. The location was ideal, close to the center, good internet connection, the rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff was nice and helpful. But the walls were so paper thin I could hear the people in the next room breathing. I could also hear people talking on the phone as if they were in my own room sitting right next to me. This was problematic at night while trying to sleep.

But the worst thing about this place was the food, which was really really not very good. Soggy sandwiches, burnt and old fries, stinky and burnt grilled fish, rotten watermelon and apple fruit salad. The morning pastries were stale, and the hot water for tea tasted strongly of coffee. They rarely had the ingredients for the few things they did make that were close to edible. Eventually I had to ask what the staff were eating, which was mainly rice and beans, and order that instead. The rice and beans were fine. While I had a decent experience with the rooms, I would not return to this hotel due to the poor quality of the food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Humura, Manager at Humura Resorts, responded to this review, November 20, 2013

I am very sorry that you had bad dining experiences during your stay at Humura. Our kitchen is stocked with fresh local produce and we pride our cooking on the fact that everything is fresh. Our bread and pastries are made fresh every day by our chefs.

Our Head Chef has previously worked at the most prestigious establishments in Africa such as the Muthaigia Club, Nairobi, most recently. He and his team work very hard to ensure that every dish sent out of the kitchen is of the upmost quality.

Since your visit to Humura Resorts we have changed the menu and are now offering weekly and weekend special menus which are proving to be most popular with our in house guests.

Unfortunately, I was not informed of any of your issues during your stay of which I could of rectified. In any event, we look forward to welcoming you back to Humura Resorts and we hope hat you would be able to see the improvements that we are continually striving to make.

Kind regards,
Hannah

Food and Beverage Manager
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have stayed here twice. The place changed management between my stays, perhaps for better and for worse. I actually came back for the amazing breakfast buffet and fantastic dinner menu to find that both were wiped under the new management. While the coffee and fresh juice is still good, I miss the amazing muffins, fluffy eggs, assortment of granolas and mueslis, etc. of the old days. They also seem to have tried to make the restaurant more amenable to Euroamerican travelers and got rid of all the local and/or Indian dishes on their previous menu, which I find a big disappointment. Nonetheless, this place is still a preferable option in Kampala. It's a good price for value, in a relatively quiet setting just down the hill from a main road, but still very close to town and easy to find. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the internet relatively reliable. Your experience will depend largely on your luck for a neighbor, since rooms are separated only by a thin door and thus you will hear everything in your neighbor's room like they are right there in bed with you.... but I haven't found a hotel in Kampala yet that doesn't have this problem...

Room Tip: Don't stay downstairs unless they've ventilated it recently... Upstairs has more light and v...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business