“Nice rooms but food could be better”
Review of Humura Resorts

Humura Resorts
Ranked #6 of 104 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was travelling by myself and stayed at Humura for a week. The staff were very friendly and helpful both at front desk and in the restaurant. My room was a good size, clean and quiet. Wifi accessability was just as good as it was at home.

I think the food though was a little disappointing for a hotel which wants to be four star. There was not really a lot of choice if you were there 7 days. As I was a lone female traveller I was not up for taking taxis all over Kampala to dine alone each night so was reliant on hotel food. I would have liked more variety of an international flavour.

The beer was very nice and the eccentric playlist of the DJ was very amusing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Only know that room 3 is fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank sarah t
Humura, Manager at Humura Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Humura always appreciates feedback from our guests, as we use it to continuously improve the service experience of those we most value. First, we would like to sincerely apologize that your stay was not ideal. We pride ourselves in indeed being a tranquil boutique hotel providing personalized service that our guests who come from around the globe have highly rated over the years.

Humura Resorts prides its self on using local, fresh produce and we want all of our customers to enjoy each and every one of their dining experience. We are sorry that you found the menu limited during your week long stay at Humura.

We have responded to your comments by changing our menu so that there is a wider variety of options available, including more international flavours, for guests to order. We now also have weekly and weekend special menus so that even more choice is available to our guests.

We very much appreciate your feedback and we hope that next time you visit you be able to enjoy every dining experience you have at Humura Resorts.

Kind regards,
Hannah

Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here for one week during a business trip. The location was ideal, close to the center, good internet connection, the rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff was nice and helpful. But the walls were so paper thin I could hear the people in the next room breathing. I could also hear people talking on the phone as if they were in my own room sitting right next to me. This was problematic at night while trying to sleep.

But the worst thing about this place was the food, which was really really not very good. Soggy sandwiches, burnt and old fries, stinky and burnt grilled fish, rotten watermelon and apple fruit salad. The morning pastries were stale, and the hot water for tea tasted strongly of coffee. They rarely had the ingredients for the few things they did make that were close to edible. Eventually I had to ask what the staff were eating, which was mainly rice and beans, and order that instead. The rice and beans were fine. While I had a decent experience with the rooms, I would not return to this hotel due to the poor quality of the food.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

I am very sorry that you had bad dining experiences during your stay at Humura. Our kitchen is stocked with fresh local produce and we pride our cooking on the fact that everything is fresh. Our bread and pastries are made fresh every day by our chefs.

Our Head Chef has previously worked at the most prestigious establishments in Africa such as the Muthaigia Club, Nairobi, most recently. He and his team work very hard to ensure that every dish sent out of the kitchen is of the upmost quality.

Since your visit to Humura Resorts we have changed the menu and are now offering weekly and weekend special menus which are proving to be most popular with our in house guests.

Unfortunately, I was not informed of any of your issues during your stay of which I could of rectified. In any event, we look forward to welcoming you back to Humura Resorts and we hope hat you would be able to see the improvements that we are continually striving to make.

Kind regards,
Hannah

Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have stayed here twice. The place changed management between my stays, perhaps for better and for worse. I actually came back for the amazing breakfast buffet and fantastic dinner menu to find that both were wiped under the new management. While the coffee and fresh juice is still good, I miss the amazing muffins, fluffy eggs, assortment of granolas and mueslis, etc. of the old days. They also seem to have tried to make the restaurant more amenable to Euroamerican travelers and got rid of all the local and/or Indian dishes on their previous menu, which I find a big disappointment. Nonetheless, this place is still a preferable option in Kampala. It's a good price for value, in a relatively quiet setting just down the hill from a main road, but still very close to town and easy to find. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the internet relatively reliable. Your experience will depend largely on your luck for a neighbor, since rooms are separated only by a thin door and thus you will hear everything in your neighbor's room like they are right there in bed with you.... but I haven't found a hotel in Kampala yet that doesn't have this problem...

Room Tip: Don't stay downstairs unless they've ventilated it recently... Upstairs has more light and v...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stone S
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The resort is beautiful, the rooms are clean & safe, & the staff & service is wonderful.
My bag was lost for 5 days & the staff did everything they could to help me track it down, which they did not have to do. There is wireless all over the property, should you need it. It can be patchy in some places, but the fact that they have it is amazing. We were there almost a week and could not have felt more at home. Will definitely be returning. Oh, and its close to a lot of places of interest, but is still a quiet retreat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Daina G
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at the Humura resort on my last trip to Uganda, Kampala.I would like to share my experience of my stay at the hotel. The Humura Resort exceeded all my expectations, the service was excellent, from the minute i arrived i felt like a King, all my needs and wants were covered by their excellent staff and i was left wanting for nothing. Their amenities covered all my needs from gyming to relaxing. Their food and beverage and event manager was unbelievably friendly and helpful, without her my trip would have been very standard, Hanna made the trip exciting and simple, something i think all managers should live up to. she showed performance excellence with everything she did, she also advised me on the best places and prices whilst travelling through Uganda, thank you Hanna. Overall the Humura will be a resort that i would recommend to any traveller whom wants a taste of great service, friendly staff and an overall feeling like being at home away from home. THANKS HUMURA!!! To all the staff and especially Hanna, thank you for making my trip exciting and i look forward to seeing all of you very soon.

Idan Raphaely

Room Tip: Standard rooms are quiet and well serviced, with little noise emanating from outside, restful and re...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Idan R
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I just spent a couple of nights at this hotel and we had a fantastic experience. Hannah, the manager, is a gem and was always super friendly and enthusiastic to give us tips and guidance. The staff was also very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were spacious and clean, the breakfast was fantastic and the beautiful small garden and pool area was such a welcomed refuge from the chaos of Kampala. We highly recommend Humura and will stay there again when we find ourselves in Kampala!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie B
Reviewed September 2, 2013

It is not the cheapest place but for sure it is one of the nicest in nerv-wrecking Kampala. Rooms are big, clean and nicely furnished, just what you need to relx and work. Food is very good and the staff is super nice. Drinks are a bit expensive. Besides that absolutely nothing to complain. The location is very good if you have something to do at Makerere University or want to visit Ugandan Wildlife Authority and Uganda Museum. Getting a taxi can take time as traffic is horrible, like everywhere in Kampala. But the good thing is: once you enter the gates of Humura all that chaos lasy behind you and you can enjoy the green gardens and the silence of the location, close to a park / golf court. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All are fine
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business