“A granny and grand daughter in Khartoum”
Review of Acropole Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khartoum
Acropole Hotel
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Khartoum
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This review is only delayed because I have not yet finished telling family and friends of the amazing two weeks we spent staying at the Acropole hotel . We shall never forget this hotel - the kindness continual help and immediate answers to all our questions was unbelievable .It must have been quite a challenge having an 80 year old and her 17 year old grand daughter as guests ..George and his charming family organised everything we mentioned even down to buying coloured pencils , peanuts and where to have our films printed The Friday tour is amazing and the trip organised for us out into the desert is never to be forgotten . Finally with encouragement and help we found my home where I lived in Khartoum in 1932 !!. Thank you so much George your brother , charming wives and all your lovely staff .I do plan to come back again (Inshallah)and would not even consider staying anywhere else

Room Tip: We really loved our 3 bed room with large bathroom and balcony it was so enjoyable sitting on the ba...
Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Priscillaudrey
There are newer reviews for Acropole Hotel

Reviewed January 19, 2013

A lot has been said about the Acropole and the Greek brothers that own and run it. To me, it was the opportunity to experience a very unique way of travelling, of feeling that you mean something to your hosts, that you're being taken care of. The place oozes the charm of past times. It is not glitzy nor luxurious, but its rooms and facilities are adequate and comfortable. The location, right in the center, is not the best, as there is little life in this part of the city, but it is convenient enough and there are always taxis down the street to take you anywhere in the city.

However, the best thing about this hotel are the owners and the way they run the place, probably aware that over time staying in their hotel has become a highlight of a visit to Sudan. Sharing breakfast, lunch or dinner -ok, the food is not something to write home about- with other travellers, archaeologists or journalists makes you feel that you have travelled back in time, when going to Africa was still some sort of an adventure for only a lucky few.

Room Tip: Try to have one overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Josepfrombcn
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Wow, where do I begin. I am a solo traveller and I'm here at the Acropole right now with one more day to go. I cannot rate this hotel enough. This was my first trip to Sudan and I randomly picked this place after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor at the very last minute. And boy am I glad! As soon as you enter, you are made to feel at home, Mr. Tanassis and Mr. George, who own this place are amazing. All the paperwork, registration and permits are applied for the first day itself. No hassle, all you need is a few photographs! The rooms are simple, but spotlessly....and I mean spotlessly clean! This was a HUGE plus for me because the first thing I look for in a hotel is the hygeine. There is no shower gel/shampoo in the rooms but you don't even notice that really. 2 towels, toilet paper and soaps are present in the bathrooms. There is a refrigerator in every room with complimentary water, a chocolate, and some sodas and they are constantly refilled. The rooms are air-conditioned and you have the option of turning it off too if it gets too cold. A hair dryer and iron can be arranged for if you ask. Every morning, you can ask for your room to be cleaned and it's the best thing to come back to after a hard long day, because Aboosin, the cleaning guy sprays the room with this really nice smelling air freshner after he's done and it really makes you feel so good when you're back. The breakfast, lunch and dinner all feel like you are eating at home and the food is always fresh and tasty. The kitchen staff, Adaam , Linda, Emerelda, Hamdam and the other chefs whose names I forget, really do an amazing job and I cannot thank them enough. I got the flu while I was here, and everyone...from the 2 brothers, to the staff, to the cleaning guys would always ask me how I'm feeling. Mr. George's wife, Eleanora also called me up on the room telephone one evening to check if I am okay and if I need anything. Soup and a light sandwich was sent to my room and the next day, Emerelda, one of the kitchen staff, even offered to make me soup that I had bought from back home and wanted to have some...and she asked if she could have it ready for me when I get back! Every room has a T.V. with satellite channels and one night I watched one of my fav chick flicks on there. Every room also has a telephone, local calls are not charged and international calls are charged about 4usd per minute. There are laundry bags in every room and a laundry list too, and if you turn in your laundry to the reception before 9 am every morning (except Fridays), you will get it back the same evening. A small fee is charged which isn't much. You can even give your shoes to be cleaned to room service. Every Friday, the Acropole arranges for a free city tour that starts at 3p.m. and it is a must do...it covers 8 locations! On Christmas day, every guest was given a box of Italian cake. There is also a doctor on call if you want. Flight reconfirmations are done, postcards are available at the office dowstairs and even the lobby has a homely feel to it. I have enjoyed many conversations there and met many interesting travellers...and sometimes just listened to the soft music and read a book there. Short trips and excursions are also easily arranged by the hotel. Taxi service is also available and they charge a very reasonable fee. On a couple days, I needed to buy some groceries on my way back from work and the taxi guy not only took me to the grocery store, but waited there until I was done and took me back to the hotel with no extra charge! There is free internet available at the hotel, you can either use the computers in the lobby or bring your own computer and use the free wi-fi. You can also get your money exchanged here from Usd to Sudanese pounds. I cannot praise this hotel enough! There might be other fancy hotels here in Khartoum, but I bet none can even match up to the personal touch that the Acropole gives to every guest that enters here. It is truly your home away from home and I am speechless about the service here and about the hospitality of the owners Mr. Tanassis and his wife Angela, their son Paul, Mr. George and his wife Eleonora, and the entire Acropole staff ! It stands unmatched in my opinion. Try a day at the Acropole and you will know what I mean...seriously how could anyone stay anywhere else in Khartoum :)

Room Tip: Room 32 was right at the corner on the second floor and I loved that it was quiet and away from ever...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank travelwith p
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is my fourth stay at the Acropole and knowing how complicated things can get I would not stay anywhere else in Khartoum. First, it's comfortable, the food is good, the place is spotlessly clean, and you get all that you would need in terms of connectivity. Secondly, the owners, who manage the hotel, are amazingly helpful. Tickets can be confirmed or changed. Police residence permits can be got. Airport pickups and drops can not only be arranged but changed and rescheduled with just a call! I feel safe and secure knowing that the three Pagoulatos brothers and their families are looking after me, often worrying about my welfare and thinking about how to solve my problems even before I know I have them. So, if you are new to the Sudan head for the Acropole.....if you are an old Sudan hand you would be at the Acropole anyway!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank rathinroy
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Haven't stayed there but visited a friend , it was a feeling of visiting an 19 century hotel , needs renovation , but it is still better than other nearby choices in term of management and cleanliness , but if I had the choice I would prioritize among other available hotels in the Neighborhood,

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have stayed in Acropole hotel for 2 weeks during Xmas of 2011.

It was an excellent experience.

The rooms are great, the food was perfect , it was like eating at home, the staff is as friendly and helpful as it can be.

The main advantage is that, things like travel permits, photo permits, air tickets, excursions in other areas of Sudan, where all taken care of by the owners and managers of the hotel.

And this is really important in a country like Sudan , which is very beautiful, but has its own rules.

We spent 2 weeks is Sudan, and we realy enjoyed the city Khartoum, and we have also enjoyed 3 wonderfull excursions all perfectly organised by the hotel.

Exactly the service you need when you visit Sudan!

It really outclasses many 5 star hotels!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Elias P
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have stayed here a number of times and would not stay anywhere else. The buildings and decor are a bit old fashioned but well looked after and have all the necessary amenities. It is dark but that is no bad think when the sun is blazing and it is 40+C outside. The thing that makes it stand out is the service, it almost like having a branch of you own business there. From dealing with police registration to confirming flights AND following up on a flight that was rescheduled George and his team take the hassle out of dealing with a country where English is not widely spoken and the level of customer service is not high. The tour mentioned elsewhere is worth doing and I say that after having previously lived in Khartoum for a year. There are managers froma couple of chain hotels I have stayed that I would love to bring here to see what customer service really means!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Kiwi_Ronin

Been to Acropole Hotel? Share your experiences!