“I'll not pass by again”

Khartoum, Al Khartum, Sudan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'll not pass by again”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Bad food, hot drinks and service. uncomfortable chairs, expensive. The hot choclate is a nightmare. Cats are moving allover the place

Visited June 2012

Khartoum, Sudan
“Love this place”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I love this place because it attracts certain elite of people who are well educated and cultured , I loved their food in the new year party but in another visit it was just OK

Visited December 2011
Pretoria, South Africa
“Now need to go on a Thursday night”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Have been several times as it is just around the corner from the Acropole. The food, Middle Eastern not African, is good but not startling but there is a lovely quiet courtyard which is a great place to chill and in my opinion they make the best lemon mint in Khartoum with perhaps the exception of Ozone (and haven't been there for a couple of years). The service is good and whilst not everything on the menu is always available I've never had the problem with things "going off" after being order. Now just have to get myself there on a Thursday night!!

• Visited June 2012
Khartoum
“Definitely worth a visit!”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Every time I go to Papa Costa -- I have a great time. Admittedly, I only go on Thursday night when there is live music. Love the band (Blue Stars?) and the mix of different types of music. Things seem to get going a bit late -- so try and stay a while. Mmmm. That's not clear -- the band starts on time (around 8:30 or 9) ... but the music seems to heat up as the evening goes on. The outdoor seating/dining area is magical -- lights and stars shining. Inside -- a look at some of Sudanese artwork for sale. I give it 5 stars for atmosphere. I think the food is not as good as it used to be -- but I don't go there for the food. Fruit drinks are terrific. And then there are the cats ....

• Visited January 2012
4 Thank Loki_21202
Khartoum, Sudan
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

After reading all of the fantastic reviews I was excited to take my family to Papa Costas. We found it fairly easily and managed to park nearby with help from a friendly local man who washed the car for a small fee. On entering from the street, the courtyard looked very inviting and was a good temperature with a pleasant breeze. Our waitress was obviously new which was not a huge problem as she was assisted by another waitress (and everybody has to learn some time). We were told that everything on the menu was available until we actually tried to order. Several of the main meals that we asked for became unavailable after the waitress had taken the order and checked with the kitchen. This was the same for the Karkadi (a locally made drink) which the waitress insisted was available but later decided wasn't. We decided to switch to soups and sandwiches instead. The 'creamy chicken' soup was bright yellow in colour and tasted nothing like chicken. The sandwiches were okay but the bread was more doughy than crispy as described on the menu. We left feeling very disappointed and will not be visiting again. Maybe Tuesday lunchtime wasn't the best time to visit and you shouldn't be put off by our experience.

• Visited January 2012