“Beautiful Stay Marred by Theft and Lack of Concern”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khartoum
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Khartoum
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I simply loved the Burj. (It's still called that by many Sudanese and taxis generally don't even KNOW "Corinthia".) I work in Darfur and would stay there every time I passed through. My last visit was extremely disappointing. I went to check out after a wonderful 4 day/night stay, and the receptionist sent the bellman up to bring my bags down. he returned immediately with the bags. Unfortunately, when I arrived home, I found that my jewelry case had been removed from my carry bag. I was shocked to say the least. I even waited a week before I called, thinking, hoping that I had misplaced it and that it would show up - even though I vividly recalled putting it in my bag. I finally had an Arabic speaking colleague call the hotel and lodge a query. When I received no response in a week, I called again, and got a manager, who was actually English-speaking. He spent more time trying to find out whom I had called initially than trying to resolve the initial complaint.
I was extremely disappointed in the manager and his apparent lack of concern. Even though I explained that it really took a lot for me to file this complaint, and that I was pretty sure who had taken it (had to be the young Ethiopian housekeeper, who was in the room next door when I went to the elevator; as the bellman wasn't upstairs long enough, and I am pretty certain he had no idea that it was in the bag, unlike the housekeeper who had entered the room every day, and would have known of its existence). I further explained that there was absolutely no other place that the bag had stopped on its way back to my house. (I even checked the private vehicle in the unlikely event that the bag had somehow come unzipped and the case had fallen out.)
After several calls to him, which he always took, but never returned as promised, he simply told me that he had asked the housekeeper and she told him she did not take it. Really? Really. His overall attitude was not rude, but definitely expressed disbelief (as if it makes sense for me to make up such tale), and a general lack of concern for whether I, the customer, felt comfortable with his "decisions" or was at all appeased.
I truly regretted this experience. I thought (and still think for the most part) that the hotel is absolutely lovely and its local reps are truly dedicated and wonderful people. however, I must exclude management, who was offensively dismissive of what I would expect most managers in a hotel of this caliber would consider a serious matter.
I have not been back since. I'm sure it's still lovely. However, I choose not to stay in hotels where my valuables can be stolen by the housekeepers, and I, the customer, am made to feel like the criminal.
So, if you do choose to go there - do lock up your valuables so that you never have to find out that some people in Sudan actually do commit petty theft - even in top hotels. (I do reiterate again however, that I am pretty certain that the perpetrator was not a Sudanese.) And that some management at top hotels could care less.

Room Tip: A Nile (river) view is more expensive. However, can get a room almost as nice on the corner (xx24 th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Amnesty1
Zaher-Kassir, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Khartoum, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear esteemed Guest,

I am sorry to hear about the situation you have experienced at our hotel last January, that I only found about in your review. This no doubt has an adverse effect on your experience at the hotel

I would like to assure you as the new incoming General Manager I have asked for a full investigation on your report. As this is a unique and isolated incident we should be able to trace your details. If however you could kindly send me an e-mail highlighting your particulars and the dates that you have visited the hotel I will be able to act on the matter with expediency. My e-mail address is nicky.borg@corinthia.com

As you rightly said the Corinthia Hotel Khartoum is a very nice hotel and this is something that our guests recognise. As the management company we take pride in the property and this includes the selection, training and development of our staff. Integrity and dedication is paramount in our business and we do all that is possible that these core values are not compromised.

I would appreciate your support in helping us investigate the matter which no doubt calls for immediate clarification and appropriate action.

Best regards.

Nicholas Borg

There are newer reviews for Corinthia Hotel Khartoum

Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed several tomes in this hotel and i enjoyed my stay. I recommend this hotel espicially for business visitors. The rooms are wide, more like studeo, bedroom with a guest area. The view of the Nile is very beautiful. I advise the guests to choose the nile view room.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank FAHADalahmadi
Reviewed April 3, 2013

a very relaxing hotel with extremely helpful staff members, they even didnt have anti allergic rooms but managed to change everything inside my rooms within hours, they also have the best view i've ever seen in my life! you have to ask for the nile view room where both niles intersect
breakfast was lovely with all variety of international food and drinks. a real 5 star hotel

Room Tip: ou have to ask for the nile view room where both niles intersect
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Zaher-Kassir, Director of Sales at Corinthia Hotel Khartoum, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Mrs.Radwa S, We were honoured reading your review and that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.We are also glad that you have enjoyed the hotel services,food and view.I will share your review with all team members who will be delighted to read it and to work on making your upcoming stay a real success.
Looking forward to see you back soon at the Corinthia Hotel Khartoum.
Best regards

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel three times in the past three months, the last stay lasting a month.
The service is truly excellent and also friendly. The rooms are spacious with wonderful views over the Niles and city. The buffet on the 16th floor is simply a spectacle to behold. The health and spa facilities are wonderful. Truly an excellent hotel..the only place to stay in Khartoum.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Coralyn B
Zaher-Kassir, Director of Sales at Corinthia Hotel Khartoum, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Mrs.Coralyn B. We would like express our deepest gratitude for your very nice review, It was really a big honour for Corinthia Hotel Khartoum hosting your goodself for the last one month, being at your service is not only a mission statement, it is more than a big joy for the whole hotel team members and we really look forward to host you back soon at your home away from home. Best regards.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed several nights in this hotel (as well as the Rotana). Comparing those two hotels, corinthia is slightly better due to the location and the many restaurants. Both hotels have splendid service and are very clean. Corinthia only has an indoor pool but linked to a very nice spa (hamam, steam bath, sauna,...). The beds in Rotana are slightly longer.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Michael W
Zaher-Kassir, Director of Sales at Corinthia Hotel Khartoum, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Mr. Michael W, it is a great pleasure to us receiving such traveler expert review, we will spare no effort to keep improving our product offerings to go as high as your expectations, we will also make sure to assign a Nile view king size bed for your upcoming stay.
Looking forward to hosting you soon Mr. Michael at Corinthia Hotel and to enjoy our new dimension of care and luxury.
With our best regards.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Okay it's not everyone's taste in great architecture but the "Libyan egg" as it has been tagged is still a great refuge from the work a day world of Khartoum. It also offers awesome views of the White and Blue Niles which come together in this historic city. However, as always, the test of a really good hotel is in the staff and here you will get a smile from the reception desk to the leisure centre and back again. On my latest stay I was there for two weeks and by the end felt part of the family. It's invidious to pick any particular member of staff since so many of them were unbelievably friendly and helpful but Khalid who speaks excellent English with the strong Scottish accent he acquired in Edinburgh has got to have pride of place.

Room Tip: Make sure it has a Nile view. Sunrise is glorious
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark W
Zaher-Kassir, Director of Sales & Marketing at Corinthia Hotel Khartoum, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Mr. Mark W,

Thank you for your frequent stay at our hotel.
We are more than delighted that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you, your comfort is our goal and main objective.
We hope to see you again soon

Regards,
Corinthia Hotel Khartoum Managment

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The best hotel in Khartoum city. Excellent location. Wonderful view overlooking the Nile. The rooms are clean and big. Friendly staff and good food. I have stayed here for about 10 times in 2 years. Didn't find any problem during this period.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jayadevanthayil
Zaher-Kassir, Director of Sales & Marketing at Corinthia Hotel Khartoum, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

dear Jayadevanthayil ,
Thank you for choosing Corinthia Hotel Khartoum for your stay in Khartoum. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them
Looking forward seeing you again

Regards,
Corinthia Hotel Khartoum

Been to Corinthia Hotel Khartoum? Share your experiences!