“Restaurant with the worst service in Sierra Leone?”

Florence's Resort Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 49 Restaurants in Freetown
Cuisines: Seafood, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Restaurant with the worst service in Sierra Leone?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I cannot comment on the hotel, but I visited the restaurant once. It comes highly recommended among Freetown's expat circles, who drive there on weekends for a seaside lunch. So one Saturday I too hit the potholed peninsular road and headed for Florence's, expecting a pleasant experience.

I guess I should have been warned by the tired, joyless way in which the waitresses moved around, serving customers with the bare minimum of efficiency, never carrying more than one plate of food or one drink. It took 15 minutes until I was brought the menu. At least three times during this period, waitresses discussed something or signalled to each other. By the look on their faces they were either debating how to handle this outrageous request of mine, or discussing who of them should be burdened with this thankless task. When the menu finally arrived I asked the waitress with a sour grin whether, considering that such a simple task had taken a quarter of an hour, I would have to expect my food in two or three hours. The waitress was deadly serious when she replied without a hint of apology or explanation that I would be served within 90 minutes...! At this point I left, so I cannot comment on the food quality. The menu lists a reasonable variety of standard items. Prices are in the medium range, barely avoiding the verdict "expensive": Fish dishes from SLL 40000, bottled soft drinks 3000, cans 6000.

In many countries, "under Italian management" is not seen as a mark of quality, but constitutes a consumer warning label. Maybe that truth needs to reach Sierra Leone, too. Verdict: This place is only useful if you want to experience Russian-style "client orientation“ without leaving West Africa. Possibly the worst service in the country, and much nicer beaches can be found in the vicinity (Tokeh, Bureh).