“One of my best experiences”
Review of Hotel Sokhamon

Hotel Sokhamon
Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in Dakar
Tayvallich, United Kingdom
“One of my best experiences”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

This is one of the best hotels I have been to recently. It was very clean. Members of staff were very helpful. I like the care and attention given by the management.

I was also very impressed by the standard of cleanliness. I had some problems with the e-mail service within my room. I was taken to an office where I was allowed to use all the facilities there. I had the opportunity of meeting the person in charge who took great care to make me feel at home.

I found out that she was a very learned had person with great interest in humanity and mankind. She cares a lot for her guests. Breakfast was excellent with great choices.

I greatly appreciated the little care and attention taken within the bathroom and the provision of special perfume.

If I do return to Dakar, this is the 1st place I will head for. It is also a place where I will not hesitate to take my family too.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tayvallich1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2011

This hotel is the best place for a sundowner in Dakar and I think a great place to stay. Get a room facing the sea and the view is stunning when you go onto your balcony in the morning or at night and listen to the waves hitting the shore.
It has a swimming pool which is salt water and basically the length and width of one lane. I found it perfect for a morning swim but it was freezing. The staff are very friendly and a bar opens out on the decking facing the ocean in the afternoon. The rooms are clean and comfortable with nice beds, tv, fridge etc. Breakfast buffet is about 7 euros and pretty good- boiled eggs, pastries, cereal, fruit, coffee etc. I would definitely stay here again but go out for dinner as there are better places to eat. One downer was that they said they took card but the machine broke and they just gave up so I had to run around banks trying to get enough cash. Don't expect miracles with the service!

Room Tip: Book sea-view room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wahala-o
france
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Nice first impression and funky design but woken up early in the morning by construction work from the neighbouring building and it continued all day. It was a shame as it looked like a great hotel to spend a few days chilling. Limited food menu as well... same 2 options for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Nouakchott
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Within 20 minutes of arriving, my colleague's bag containing a GPS, cell phone, and valuable identity papers disappeared from the reception area while he was checking in. His request to front desk staff for assistance locating the bag was met with total disinterest. After looking for it all over the place, he asked to speak to the manager and expressed his fears that the bag may have been stolen as he had put it in the counter to remove his passport. The manager took a defensive attitude, stating aggressively that he had no proof it had been stolen, and saying the bag may have been stolen by other guests in the reception area (the only people present at the time were my colleagues and hotel staff). When we requested she calls the police to file a complaint; she outright refused to in a most unpleasant tone, accusing us of using the bag as an excuse "to get money from the hotel." She refused to let us talk to her supervisor or give us the name of the owner. At the same time, three other guests were checking out given that the previous night somebody had broken into their rooms through the balcony sliding doors while they were sleeping. The manager had dismissed their concerns saying there were no security issues in the hotel and that they "must have imagined it." Needless to say, we left the hotel and checked in somewhere else. This is the worst hotel experience of my life and we received the worst treatment a hotel manager can give to customers... The manager's unhelpful and dismissive attitude, aggressiveness, disrespectful tone to customers and refusal to call the police or facilitate our contact with police to file a complaint make this the worst hotel experience of our entire lives.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
12 Thank nsr062

Travelers are raving about these Dakar hotels

bergamo
Reviewed January 27, 2010

I have been in the kitchen and saw lot of beetles, everithing is made for saving, not for guests. Very expensive too. Do not go

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank carluzzo
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stayed here for one night on March 1, 2009. You should know that there is lots of construction going on. The deck facing the ocean is still being worked on. Worse, there is a large building being erected next door. This construction starts early (as you can imagine), there is a large crane in place and it looks as though it will be going on for another year... or more. Service is not tops, I know, but it is very much lacking at this place. I asked for a car to pick me up at the airport. It never came, and the receptionist's reaction was a mere shrug. I arrived at 2am and the hotel was dark and the guard gate in front unmanned. This didn't feel like a safe place to me, so I left for the Lagon II, which is a much nicer hotel, at about the same rate.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Paris
Reviewed January 25, 2009

I've always thought the dearth of good hotels in Dakar is bizarre given its hub status in west Africa and site of one of the only African airports to fly directly to the US. Many smaller and more dilapidated capitals have much better individual hotels.

So the Sokhaman is a new and welcome addition. The location - overlooking the sea and just the right distance away from the Place d'Independence - is perfect. The food at dinner was amongst the best I've had in Africa - alas all of it French and not one dish venturing into the delights of Senegal's larder.

A note of caution: the disparity in natural light and general comfort between the patio-facing rooms and the ocean-facing ones is enormous. The hotel is carved into a cliff face so there is virtually no sun-light in the patio rooms. But then at Sokhamon prices I could afford an upgrade.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)