“Some hotels just don't get it!”
Review of King Fahd Palace

King Fahd Palace
Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Dakar
Lagos
“Some hotels just don't get it!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel scores a poor mark from me due to one singular reason. Poor internet access in the rooms!
I stayed at the hotel in November with my husband. It was my first time in Dakar. Beautiful city.
Our room was a suite. Well appointed, a bit dated in the design but very comfortable. The hotel food was good and i enjoyed the buffets by the pool side.
My main disappointment was with the internet access. Even when we complained and someone finally came to check the room. It was still very poor.
Many times i had to go out of my room into the lobby area to use my laptop at odd hours of the day. For a business hotel, this is totally unacceptable. How did they expect the guests to complete important email related transactions when lodged at the hotel.
But for this, the hotel would have scored 4/5.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I spent five nights here on business. There is good and bad. Bad was the internet connection, which was irritatingly inconsistent. Worse were the mosquitoes in the room; despite all precautions I was bitten every night. The room was large but in need of a revamp. The a/c was noisy and didn't work properly. For those attending conferences, note that you need a map and guide to reach the conference centre from the lobby area.

Very good were the staff, who tried hard and mostly succeeded. Outstanding was the pool area and sea view. Try to get a room with a view of the pool/sea. The restaurant next to the pool is recommended, particularly at lunchtime. The fish is excellent, but I would avoid ordering red wine as it seems to be stored in a refrigerator from the day it is bought until the day it is served, and doesn't enjoy a happy life.

The hotel is about 25 minutes from the harbour in Dakar, but only 10-15 minutes from the airport. There is a shuttle to the airport. Taxis are ancient death traps but there isn't much option.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the pool or the tennis courts.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was only there for two days, and the hotel was nice and clean, but it still had an old feel to it. I was in an old room and wi-fi did not work in the room, I had to use the lobby. This is a 3 star hotel at best, but it is in a great location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at King Fahd Palace for nearly a week in a total of 3 rooms and found the hotel okay. Yes, agreeing with the other reviewers that the public areas of the hotel are quite nice, but that stops generally at the door. One of the rooms I had was nicely redone so long as you didn't look too closely at the fit and finish of the renos. The rooms all had a decent LCD tv, a desk, a serviceable bathroom and decent bed.

I think I'm on to them about calling two beds pushed together a "King"----it seems when there's two guests in the room it becomes an easy double.

Breakfast (included) was quite good.

Restaurants were decent with a small but tasty menu. Restaurants are within walking distance if you're willing to run the gauntlet of people that know you're a tourist.

The real crown jewel of the property is it's location with the constant crashing surf in the background. Yes, the "beach" is unusable due to rocks, but the crashing surf and scenery are nice.

The staff were among the nicest and most accommodating I've met. Always friendly and given the number of people there, pretty good at knowing who you are.

So, in summary, the hotel feels, at least when it comes to the rooms, a little tired and in desperate need of updating. If the owners spent real money on the rooms, the hotel could be much better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bison42_98
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I didn't initially book this hotel because it was cost prohibitive for me but I ended up staying here after getting bumped from a cheaper hotel due to an Expedia error.

The hotel's main lobby and common areas are very nice and the sea views are absolutely beautiful but once you step into you're room you immediately get deflated. My room had 2 twin sized beds pushed together which i guess were supposed to make a double but short of unmaking both beds it is impossible to use both simultaneously. The linens were sparse, there was no comforter and while in the summer that may be nice, I went in January and my room was chilly; I had to turn the a/c all the way off.

The room service menu was faded and the mini fridge was locked. Also there was no map or hotel directory so I had to keep calling the front desk to get information. The restaurants are nice, and the food is ok, but are considerably overpriced.

I have no complaints on the service. The staff was always friendly, courteous and very helpful

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed a full week in this hotel on business meetings with little opportunity to explore the city. This may have been a 4 star hotel a few years ago, but today it is probably a 3 star only. The hotel is huge including a main building with six stories, a couple of hundred rooms, a conference center, lighted tennis courts, pools, restaurants and large, well maintained green areas. A golf course Is contiguous to the hotel. There is access to a small sandy but filthy beach separated from the ocean by a wide strip of basaltic rocks. No swimming is possible but I saw a small number of brave surfers enjoying waves in nearby areas. I stayed at the 6th floor and my room was ample with comfortable and immaculate sheets and pillows. The room was quiet as there were no roads or noisy areas nearby. The bathroom was large, functional and very clean but nothing luxurious. I ate lunch at the restaurant by the pool. The buffet food was average but there it was many to choose from. Breakfast was also very varied and I'd say food was better there. The hotel is located right next to the US embassy, an area where many tourists and expats can be seen, about 30-35' from downtown Dakar but at walking distance from an artisanal market with handicrafts and small, lively, inexpensive restaurants where the locals eat listening to musicians playing fantastic Senegalese music for a couple of CFAs. There are a couple of up market restaurants well worth a visit in the same area. The hotel staff was very cordial to me. The main negatives I can think of are the mosquitos in my room and the general areas-- except the pool--, the frequent power outtages (but these are common in all West Africa) and the relatively expensive overall price when considered equivalent quality elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 29, 2012

(Yes, again.)

Since I have reviewed this place pretty extensively three or four times, including four months ago, I will just touch on areas that I want to reinforce, where things have changed, or where I didn't notice or document something previously that should be raised here. That said, there are a number of nicer hotels in the area (though not with the huge conference center) and if this hotel doesn't step it up, it will lose to the competition.

Staff - I have said it before, and I want to reiterate that the staff here is a gem. They continue to improve their English and their service, and their overall competence. They are going above and beyond, and I am very impressed by them.

Room - This time I was in one of the updated rooms. Much, much better. Still able to use the minibar fridge, flat screen on the wall, internet working much better on the wifi system. Better linens, better bed, nice smelling. I was on the 6th floor and my room overlooked the tennis courts. I loved the balcony. Still some old-feeling things, the door to go in and out was still sticky and squeaky, the bathroom had some paper peeling and caulking that wasn't great, but overall much improved - in the bathroom especially - away with the old shower curtain! The AC was fantastic.

Amenities - internet, pool, workout room - internet seemed to work much better this time. The pool was still great. It was colder (it was late November after all), but still completely usable. The pool staff and pool amenities are great as well - poolside service of food or drinks, nice pool loungers, the lounge area by the pool is very comfortable, nice for informal meetings or hanging out. The one weird thing was that there were all kinds of different times given for when the pool was open. They told me that it wasn't officially open at 6:30 am but that I could use it if I wanted to, so I did - a couple of days I did laps in the dark (there is underwater lighting) and watched the sunrise as I did laps. The staff seemed to not know what to make of me but they didn't kick me out, they began their cleaning etc. operations as I finished up, and one day someone was there and offered me a pool towel even though it wasn't open yet. The workout room is small and fairly basic by American standards, but it's much nicer and more apportioned than many of the European hotels I've stayed in. There were 2 or 3 ellipticals, treadmills, rower, and some machines. It opens at 7, I think, and it was open each and every day at that time.

Conference facility - Another conference, different rooms. For some of the smaller meetings, the smaller rooms were a little too small. For the big meeting, there was a lot of space, although it was configured so that not everyone could see the Chair and the acoustics were difficult. But the room was nice. The food buffet was very good, as were the coffee breaks.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a renovated or updated room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business