“Worst place ever!”

Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Dakar
New York City, New York
“Worst place ever!”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My company organized a meeting at this hotel with around 40 staff staying there. Within one day we were calling it "hotel des maladies" (hotel of sickness). It was horrible, horrible, horrible. And if it were $50/night one might put up with it, but it was three times that.

The rooms are dark and smell. The first room they gave me had mold in the floor of the closet, and the air con didn't work. I complained and they gave me another room -- it still smelled, but was marginally better. The light is horrible and there is not a lot of space, so don't think you'll be able to effectively work in your room if you are there on business. There were 2 safes in my room, neither worked. I was not able to make phone calls outside of the hotel (only to front desk or room to room). There is not a convenient laundry service -- you must bring your clothes to the front desk and they send it out, and no, they don't provide you a discrete bag with which to do this, you just plop your undies on the front desk. There is no business center either. Breakfast is underwhelming -- a lot of bread, not much of a selection of fruit or hot food. There is a restaurant on site, but with a limited menu -- o.k. for a few days, but if you are there a week, it gets boring. There is a nice pool, but it wasn't very clean. Most of all, the mosquitoes were insufferable! They certainly don't spray the premises, and mosquitoes are everywhere. While there are mosquito nets on the bed, they are not treated with insecticide and in fact, have holes, so you will get bitten. Do not forgo malaria medication!

Re: location...it does have beach access, so I guess that was it's only plus. It is a trip to downtown (maybe $10 taxi or so).

If you can, stay at the Radisson Blu (closer to town), or Le Meridien (in same neighborhood). If you are looking for economical accommodation, I had some colleagues stay at the Hotel Casino du Cap-Vert near the airport, and found it quaint and clean.

Room Tip: No good rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Erins_travels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Though... food was good, restaurant/bar is nice with friendly staff. Patience may be rewarded. Unpredictable what will be available to eat or drink.

Most people in my party had a very bad experience. Dismal Internet when there was any, only in central building. I was given a room in the outlying cabins (a good 7-10 minute walk) which look like something people roll out of a C-130 and build a whole camp in two hours. I did have hot water and functioning A/C and electricity. Getting bulbs for the lamps, or daily cleaning, or real cleaning, or doing away with the puddle that forms outside the bathroom, no can do. The trash you put into the bin? You'll find it in the gravel by the door. Pity - it just could be good.

When offered the chance to move from the camp to the main facilities, do you know who counseled me to stay in the far site? The hotel staff.

Surely there are worse hotels in Dakar. Better, and honest, surely too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Dakar hotels

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Not clean hotel, very poor services . No value for money

• Stayed October 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 31, 2011

So first let me say that I realize that I'm a spoiled rotten American who takes clean water, clean toilets and a usual and customary bio flora for granted. That still doesn't mean I shouldn't write a bad review for an African hotel. Let me caveat that this place was cheap, cheap, cheap and if that's what you want you will be ok here if your expectations are set properly. Read on. Let's normalize this is a bit. Hotel des Almadies isn't "awful". It's just lousy and Americans will think it's terrible. Normal. The room was dirty. The bathroom was dirty. The shower was a cave that had no light and I was afraid to go into. They organization at the front desk was lacking. My colleagues reported that folks were issued the same rooms so the old "oh, someone is already in here" line was heard frequently. This hotel used to be a Club Med from what I understand. Definitely not anymore. The one good thing I can say about this hotel is that the AC worked tremendously well. You are going to need that here. :-) Overall, this is Africa. It was bad, but it really wasn't that bad. I personally will do my best to avoid a revisit though. By the way, first time I ever slept in a mosquito tent over my bed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Close to the lobby, with a mosquito net and a working AC. The hotel is a campus and can be a dark an...
2 Thank Martin H
San Jose, California
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I did not choose this hotel and was not able to switch hotels since there were no other rooms available that were close to the meeting hotel. Everyday the staff would "clean" the room and would either leave my balcony door wide open or at the very least unlocked. The electricity went out every day. Unfortunately, when it would come back on in the hotel it was not on in my room. The first time I got the staff to come check out the problem, the breaker box was in the bathroom and they flipped the breaker back on. After that I was able to do it my self. The last night I arrived back at the hotel at after midnight and found not electricity in my room and the balcony door wide open. I sucked it up used my iPhone as a flashlight to look around and make sure that no one was in my room and then pulled a table over to stand on to get to the breaker box. I checked out the next door. The hallways are unlit and scary. the staff was friendly but not always helpful. The pool was beautiful and the property has potential but not safe for a woman traveling alone. There was mold in the shower. There was also a cut out in the wall of the bathroom 2 ft by 4 ft to give access to the electrical and pipes. It was covered by a large mirror on hinges. It was not secured and would open when you opened the balcony door. A little creepy to look into and see 3 floors down. Not sure what was living between the walls and could crawl into my room. Mosquito netting was the only thing that kept critters from crawling on my bed.

Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The hallways are unlit (long and dark) and dangerous; there are no peep holes in the doors; many of the rooms are dirty with mould on the walls; there are RODENTS in the rooms; the safe in my room didn't work; you cannot call out on the telephones (I couldn't even get a hold of the front desk); many people who stayed here with our group didn't get sheets, towels or toilet paper; my sink wouldn't drain; there is no internet in the rooms and the internet in the lobby is very shaky and often we couldn't log on with no power plugs. I am not just judging this hotel by North American standards but by ANY standard. The only good things were that it is close to the convention centre and the ocean; the pool are and bar were lovely; the lobby area and outside are very nice; my air conditioning worked very well (although others did not work well, spewed fumes, or didn't work at all).

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in any of them.
Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My room was fine, airco, clean sheets, television, in general ok. TIA: this is Africa;-) The staff was friendly especially at the breakfast (great French pastry) and bar. The surroundings are beautiful by the beach. It could use with a general clean up and some building is being done, but the place has potential. If you need the typical western standard, go elsewhere. Internet only available in the lobby, not in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2011