“Bad hotel”

Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Dakar
Doha, Qatar
“Bad hotel”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Not clean hotel, very poor services . No value for money

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 31, 2011

So first let me say that I realize that I'm a spoiled rotten American who takes clean water, clean toilets and a usual and customary bio flora for granted. That still doesn't mean I shouldn't write a bad review for an African hotel. Let me caveat that this place was cheap, cheap, cheap and if that's what you want you will be ok here if your expectations are set properly. Read on. Let's normalize this is a bit. Hotel des Almadies isn't "awful". It's just lousy and Americans will think it's terrible. Normal. The room was dirty. The bathroom was dirty. The shower was a cave that had no light and I was afraid to go into. They organization at the front desk was lacking. My colleagues reported that folks were issued the same rooms so the old "oh, someone is already in here" line was heard frequently. This hotel used to be a Club Med from what I understand. Definitely not anymore. The one good thing I can say about this hotel is that the AC worked tremendously well. You are going to need that here. :-) Overall, this is Africa. It was bad, but it really wasn't that bad. I personally will do my best to avoid a revisit though. By the way, first time I ever slept in a mosquito tent over my bed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Close to the lobby, with a mosquito net and a working AC. The hotel is a campus and can be a dark an...
2 Thank Martin H

Travelers are raving about these Dakar hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I did not choose this hotel and was not able to switch hotels since there were no other rooms available that were close to the meeting hotel. Everyday the staff would "clean" the room and would either leave my balcony door wide open or at the very least unlocked. The electricity went out every day. Unfortunately, when it would come back on in the hotel it was not on in my room. The first time I got the staff to come check out the problem, the breaker box was in the bathroom and they flipped the breaker back on. After that I was able to do it my self. The last night I arrived back at the hotel at after midnight and found not electricity in my room and the balcony door wide open. I sucked it up used my iPhone as a flashlight to look around and make sure that no one was in my room and then pulled a table over to stand on to get to the breaker box. I checked out the next door. The hallways are unlit and scary. the staff was friendly but not always helpful. The pool was beautiful and the property has potential but not safe for a woman traveling alone. There was mold in the shower. There was also a cut out in the wall of the bathroom 2 ft by 4 ft to give access to the electrical and pipes. It was covered by a large mirror on hinges. It was not secured and would open when you opened the balcony door. A little creepy to look into and see 3 floors down. Not sure what was living between the walls and could crawl into my room. Mosquito netting was the only thing that kept critters from crawling on my bed.

Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The hallways are unlit (long and dark) and dangerous; there are no peep holes in the doors; many of the rooms are dirty with mould on the walls; there are RODENTS in the rooms; the safe in my room didn't work; you cannot call out on the telephones (I couldn't even get a hold of the front desk); many people who stayed here with our group didn't get sheets, towels or toilet paper; my sink wouldn't drain; there is no internet in the rooms and the internet in the lobby is very shaky and often we couldn't log on with no power plugs. I am not just judging this hotel by North American standards but by ANY standard. The only good things were that it is close to the convention centre and the ocean; the pool are and bar were lovely; the lobby area and outside are very nice; my air conditioning worked very well (although others did not work well, spewed fumes, or didn't work at all).

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in any of them.
Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My room was fine, airco, clean sheets, television, in general ok. TIA: this is Africa;-) The staff was friendly especially at the breakfast (great French pastry) and bar. The surroundings are beautiful by the beach. It could use with a general clean up and some building is being done, but the place has potential. If you need the typical western standard, go elsewhere. Internet only available in the lobby, not in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel at least 4 times in the past couple of years for work. There are some good points to this hotel: it is right on some nice and private beaches, and some of the rooms are renovated with flat screen TVs, internet in the room, etc. They do pretty well with room service (as long as you speak French and don't mind very limited choices), laundry and other services. The location is pretty and private.

However, the abovementioned will be your experience only if you get very lucky. Many of the rooms have not been renovated (although the hotel over the past 4 years has been continuously under construction), and the internet is spotty at best unless you know what rooms to choose (try rooms 30-35 that are renovated, have internet most of the time, and open to large terraces on the ocean).

Just as an example of the kind of experience you can have at Almadies, the last time I stayed here, the hotel was actually being used as a summer camp for children. The children were great - all about ages 8-12 and reasonably well behaved, but the hotel allowed them to hold loud events (read: giant speakers blaring) until after midnight, their activities (again with loud speakers) occurred at the pool in the middle of the day, etc. Extremely disruptive. It certainly wasn't the kids' fault - but the hotel should know better than to organize a summer camp with hundreds of kids: other guests can't be near the pool, have trouble getting sleep the night before work, etc. The management seemed not to care at all that the hotel was a zoo filled with kids. Probably there was nothing those at the front desk could do about it, but whoever booked in a summer camp didn't seem to care about the happiness of the other guests! Just an example, but you may get the sense that the hotel's attitude is not to be very accommodating to the vacationer or businessman.

I only stay here because my hosts arrange my visits to Dakar and it would not be appropriate to second guess them, so I suffer in silence - but if it were up to me, I would be in the Meridien President (where I have stayed twice) or Radisson (where I have stayed once) in a second. Both have less character, but are definitely more comfortable and accommodating to vacationers and businessmen.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed May 18, 2011

***This is a review for HOTEL DES ALMADIES,**** just down from the Meridien.

SUMMARY: DO NOT STAY HERE EVER!!!! There is no security and no basic features of a normal hotel, let alone a 4 star resort. There is no peephole on the room doors to find out who is breaking in or banging on your door at 11:30 pm (yeah, read my saga), there is no clock, there is no phone service-- room phones are dead -- so no way to call the front desk for help, and yes, NO WATER in the tap. In addition the rooms are not clean, there is a musty smell, the bathrooms are scary with half used amenities left behind and smelly bed covers.

The only reason I even gave 1 star is because I cannot figure out how to give less than 1 star.

THE SAGA:
To round out a 2 month-stay in Senegal, I booked my last few days at HOTEL DES ALMADIES, the former Club Med. I visited a few hotels in the Almadies area, and this was the only one with openings for my dates at a somewhat reasonable price. I was not impressed when I first entered the lobby, as I was met with a musty, moldy smell. I figured maybe they had just finished cleaning and had ended up with a bucket of dirty water. Red Flag number 1.

I inquired about the price and got their contact information, as I was searching around for a hotel. That evening, after reviewing all available hotels, I was left with Almadies. I sent an electronic reservation over their internet site. After two days of no response to my reservation request (I left an email and phone number as contact information, and had heard back from another hotel already), I personally drove to the hotel to make a reservation. I was handed a reservation card. Okay, seemed like I was back on track.

I arrived the next day for my reservation and the drama started again. I told the front desk I had a reservation and would like to check in. The first girl who greeted me gave me a blank stare and told me to wait for her colleague. Another agent came to the front desk to assist. I told her I had a reservation and gave her my name. She flustered around for a minute and the first girl told her, I made the reservation yesterday (CAUSE SHE WAS THERE WHEN I CAME IN AND REMEMBERED ME-why she was unable to assist me, I have no idea). I was given another card to fill out and finally the keys.

Okay, I made it to my room. Again the moldy smell persisted, but now I chalked it up to maybe it was the AC. I opened the doors to the balcony to let in fresh air. The room itself was not particularly clean-- the toiletry amenities looked partially used and the shower area had grime along the edges, along with rusted soap holders. Yet, I continued to stay.

Well, after getting all my bags in myself, I settled in to use the WIFI, an amenity proudly advertised. And what, oh yes. You guessed it-- NO INTERNET CONNECTION. I went to the front desk, and they told me to wait for the technician. I waited for about 10 minutes. Great, not having all day to wait, I left to take care of some business. A few hours later, I came back. And was told, oh, I should have WIFI. Yeah, I know that. In fact, I could connect to the network, but there was no internet access. So, I was brought back to the technician, whom I apparently disturbed as he had his shoes off and propped up on the desk. He had to set an IP on my computer in order to access the internet.

Finally, evening comes and I prepare for bed. A restlessness night till I was abruptly awoken at 0545 by a STRANGER OPENING THE DOOR TO MY ROOM. Needless to say I was frightened. The phone did not work, so there was no way to call the front desk. After the intruder left, I then heard 3 attempts to open the side door to my room, and the bolt was nearly removed three times (there was a door that adjoined the two rooms). After this I got dressed and went to the front desk and told him that someone just tried to open my door. He asked for the room number and then informed me that yes, he had just given the keys to someone and that person came down and informed him the room was occupied. Okay, number one: WHY DID YOU GIVE MY ROOM KEY TO SOMEONE ELSE??? Well, because I was not registered in the computer. So at check-in they did not actually check me in, so the room appeared vacant.

Number two: AFTER THE GUY FIGURED OUT THE ROOM WAS OCCUPIED, WHY DID HE CONTINUE TO TRY TO OPEN THE SIDE DOOR??? I explained about the second door and he just said sorry. SORRY???? He then asked if I wanted to change rooms.
Well, again I had to leave before morning traffic (and wanted to look for somewhere else to stay).

That afternoon, no luck on another hotel, so I moved to a new room, with only one door. This was after a conversation with a manager, who seemed more interested in the technicality of not being registered in the computer (NOT MY FAULT) then the fact that my room was broken into. The lack on concern about getting my room broken into was really unnerving and I felt completely unsafe.

Well, I figured at this point, I am in the clear with a room with only one door. Then I tried to take a shower... after letting the tap run forever, I barely got warm water. Later on in the afternoon, I tried to wash my hands and the sink tap would not even give me water.

Finally, again, night time. I am in bed, sleeping and started hearing a knock at my door. It was 2330, and given that there is no peephole to see who is at the door, I ignored it,since I had not called anyone to my room. The knocking persisted into a loud banging. I got up to call the front desk and again NO WAY TO CALL THE FRONT DESK to find out what is going on. I got a message saying there was a message, and no instructions on how to access the message service. Excellent.

So, again, I got up and went to the front desk to inform him, that now someone has been banging on my door in the middle of the night. It was the same guy whom I met the previous night/morning regarding the intruder. And he told me, oh yeah, I sent this guy (random concierge) to your room to deliver a package (another side drama of a business deal who was supposed to deliver a package to me at 1700. By 1900, the package hadn't arrived, so I figured it was not coming). Okay, great, you could not keep it at the front desk until, the morning I asked??? No, he said, it was not safe. Really, it was not safe to keep 15,000 cash at your front desk, so you had to BANG ON MY DOOR at 1130 pm???? This absolutely outrageous. Obviously I am concerned with my personal security since I am travelling alone and there was an incident the previous day with my room getting breached, and yet knowing that, you send someone to my room in the middle of the night??

Needless to say, I am checking out in the morning and will pay whatever price is necessary to maintain my security until my departure from this country.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I ever return to HOTEL DES ALMADIES, nor would I recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo