“Great Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Dakar
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

This is a luxury hotel and was great for a business trip, but then it should be at those Prices. Loved Dakar, loved the visit and loved the Hotel, would certainly stay there again as long as the company picks up the tab! Fast Wifi, spacious rooms, good food, clean modern and comfortable

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon C
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Simon C,
Thank you so much for sharing on Tripadvisor your experience at the Radisson Blu Hotel Dakar. Your feedback is invaluable and we are pleased you enjoy our hotel and its facilities. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back on many more occasions.

Jorgen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I have stayed at the Radisson Blu in Dakar on several occasions for business but would definitely choose it for vacations as well. I love the hotel. The setting is peaceful -- an oasis amid the hubbub of Dakar. The food is great, and the management is visible, attentive and responsive. The rooms facing the ocean are superb. And if you are bothered by the music at the bar, there are rooms further away from the bar area that are quieter. All around, a lovely hotel particularly for Dakar.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Rosemary B,
We are most appreciative of your nice comments on your several stays at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar posted on Tripadvisor. We love to have you with us and we look very much forward to welcome you back very soon for vacations and we promise you another memorable stay.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this beauriful hotel from the 8-12 June 2014 and truly enjoyed my stay. The check in was seamlessly quick as I arrived at 3am and was quickly whisked away into my room. The room was clean and provided all basic necessities. My biggest discomfort was the bed......every motion resulted in irritating noise and it didn't matter which corner of the bed I will seek refuge for a peaceful sleep after a long flight. First breakfast I commented to three people and we all had the same terrible sleep......and of course it persisted for the entire duration of my stay.

Beside the uncomfortable old bed....the hotel is beautiful from the reception to the pool area, meeting rooms and restaurants. Of course breakfast offered more palatable variety. The corridor into the mall brings convenience for alternative dining and hanging out, had a convenience store for room necessities. The gym is lovely and enjoyed all my sessions, it made up for the terrible bed.

The location is grand for the jog fanatics along the beachside, I adored the ambience of people also jogging away their daily stresses. Just change the old beds and all will be perfect experience for your guests.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Nkosana M,
We are glad to know that you truly enjoyed your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar. Thank you for your comments regarding the beds, we will look into it to find out what was the problem.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon for a perfect stay.
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel during July 2014 on business trip. I have stayed in other Radisson hotels.

The hotel is within good proximity to airport and has a great west facing view over an infinity pool and the ocean. Unfortunately just between the pool and the sea seems to be a gravel access road and dolosse (large concrete blocks that break the tide), so there is no possibility of a walk on the beach.

Room service was prompt but the burger and chips would rate 4/10. Just not tasty or special. Breakfast, on the other hand was excellent. A sumptuous spread, and good quality (as you would expect). Sitting outside in the warm early morning breeze made it that little more special!

Reception is on third floor (i.e. ground when facing the hotel entrance), and I had a room on the first floor (i.e. ground when facing the sea), so limited sea view. The staff all seemed friendly. Some have quite limited English whilst others seem fluent. I had no issues with language. Booking in (at around 2:30am), took too long in my opinion (~25 min).

In my room was a Nespresso type coffee machine. It was not working. It was however promptly replaced on request and the new working version was a great perk! There was no charge for the capsules and there were 6 available per day.

Wifi was easy to connect to, fast enough and reliable all over the hotel. Two bottles of complimentary, bottled still water, were available in the room (i.e. not as part of the minibar). However once used, they were not replenished.

The pool area was pleasant (and made up for the limited view from the room), with a live jazz type band some evenings. I can recommend the pizza.

I found the room size to be adequate (larger than many in Europe), with a lovely bathroom (shower only - fine for me), comfortable bed and appropriate work-space. I did feel the room lighting was a little dark overall. My aircon worked well, but I did have a colleague tell me that his did not. I think it was suitably resolved the following day.

Although service was good overall, I did approach the Guest Relations desk one day to call out that my minibar had not been replenished, and was told that it would be seen to immediately. When I returned to my room after about 2 hours it had still not been done. A call to the "one touch" service resolved this within minutes. Unfortunately this sort of inconsistency is what separates an ok hotel from a good one!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Matt B,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for posting on Tripadvisor your comments which have been shared internally. We do apologize for the incidents occurred at your arrival and during your stay and look very much forward to welcome you back very soon.

Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

By checking in at 7 pm rooms were not ready, my written confirmation of prepayment by time of booking was not recognised, reception staff could not care less about clients, cold welcome, shaky internet signal, mostly not available, service at restaurant stressed, wine came after diner ... what else can I say? I was quite a regular of Radisson Dakar due to its beautiful design, but next time I might as well enjoy it by having a drink and not fighting with reception. Oh, since months half of the hotel rooms suffer from noise from construction site, no alert of this on the website.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tuskerine
Dear Tuskerine,
We thank you very much for your valuable comments posted on Tripadvisor.
We are very disturbed reading about the shortfalls you experienced during your stay with us and sincerely apologize. We look forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Dakar and promise to make you experience the real Radisson Blu hospitality.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

When you arrive at the hotel, you know you made the right choice. The place is simply stunning to look at. Very sleek and modern, built on a hill overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Their infinity pool has gorgeous views of the ocean. There is no beach at this hotel.

The rooms are stylish and pleasant. Rooms facing the sea are justifiably about twice the price of those with a "garden" (parking lot) view. Everything is clean, new and modern. A/C works great, wifi is reliable and the bed was very comfortable.

I ordered room service one night and to my surprise, they have a 20-minute delivery guarantee. Service always comes with a smile and most of the staff is able to speak some English.

The hotel is proud to have hosted the Obama family when they visited Dakar in 2013. They've even have an "Obama Suite".

I highly recommend this hotel. It's a very comfortable place to retreat to after a long day of the sights & sounds of Dakar. This is in the top 3 of my favorite hotels in all of Africa.

Room Tip: Book a sea-view room. It's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear EveryCountryBy50,
Thank you very much for sharing on Tripadvisor your comments on your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed staying with us and that the hotel is in the top 3 of your favorite hotels in Africa. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and we look very much forward to welcome you back soon.

Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

From the fantastic view in the lobby, to the great scene at the pool, to the people throughout the hotel….everything was beautiful. The staff was very accommodating. The hotel was truly more than I expected. Having a room with access to the garden is definitely a treat. The breakfast was very good as well. Overall, everyone was wonderful, however there were several people who stood out amongst the rest. Mr. Oumar (not sure about the spelling) was very people friendly, even aiding with my wifi connection issues as well as occasional translations in French. And, namely Mamadou, Yousef, and Theirnof (all of which I am not sure about the spellings) were very helpful and went beyond the call of duty to ensure a great stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear tigresstsu,
We thank you very much for your nice comments shared on Tripadvisor on your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar. We are happy to know that we met your expectations and even more. The whole team and myself look very much forward to welcome you back very soon.