“Restaurant L'Avenue not worth a visit”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Dakar
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went to the restaurant of the Radisson Blue to spoil ourselves with what we believed would be a 5-star dinner. We shared a started, which was rather heavy on the salt and for mains we had the leg of lamb, which was great and the Casamance King Prawns. The latter were a disaster. Dry and overly expensive for what was presented we were very disappointed. When asked how we liked our dinner we praised the lamb, but gave honest feedback for the prawns. This wasn't even acknowledged. After parting with a 5-star bill payment we were even more disappointed, when the prawns resulted in a night in the bathroom !
Very disappointing and certainly not what one would expect in a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SigInDenver
JJorgensen, Directeur général at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

SigDakar,
Thank you very much for your visit to "L’Avenue Restaurant" at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar!
I am really sorry to hear about your experience in our restaurant.
I would very much appreciate, if you ever visit the hotel again, that you ask for me so that I can personally discuss with you.
Best regards,

Jorgen

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Arrived around 3 am at the Radission Blu. Surprised to note the Reception made us wait for about 30 minutes. We booked 2 rooms on half board but the hotel only had 1 on their records (1st mistake).
My room was located on the wing right next to the building site as the hotel is building an extension with some more rooms. There was no noise to disturb me in the evening but the balcony sliding door did not work at all ! During the 2 nights of our stay each time I wanted to open the balcony door, I had to call someone to have it open and again when I wanted it closed for the night. Food was excellent and the staff could not have been nicer. The garden/beach area was fantastically beautiful. On the evening before departure we settlled our bill. The next morning at 9 am and just before we were picked up to continue our trip in Senegal, we asked again at the Reception if all was in order and paid for. Yes was the answer. When we were just about to enter our transfer car, someone came running from the Reception saying we had to pay our bill (2nd mistake) ! We were amazed with so much inefficiency from the Reception and after checking the matter, they "thought" we had to pay for the halfboard meals...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2012

If this hotel were a self-described four star, it would be Very Good. Plusses are the oceanside view, the pool, and the restaurant food; minuses are the noise, aspects of the room, and uncontrolled poolside smoking. Overall, worth it if you're getting a good rate and need to be near the airport.

Wifi was excellent and free. My check-in was straightforward, but a companions was sent to an occupied room. Standard rooms are a modest size, grey and white, with inadequate lighting (apart from the thermostat's LED light, which shines a piercing blue, I mean Blu. Had to cover it to sleep). The window opens, which is a big plus, but mosquitoes flock in as there's no flyscreen.

The room has a comfortable bed, nice sheets, fluffy pillows, coffee- and tea-making supplies, and an iron. Sunday at 9 a.m. a window-washer appeared, balancing on the narrow ledge and wielding a squeaky squeegee. Good morning!

I had asked for a quiet room. The joke was on me: Radisson Blu sits directly in the flight path, with a cluster of flights around midnight, resuming around 0430. Proximity to the airport is useful to avoid workday traffic, but less important at the weekend.

Buffet breakfast and lunch in the main restaurant were excellent (I was on a corporate, all-inclusive rate). But in the room, ants hovered around the plastic-wrapped almond clusters and chocolate balls; staff left the tray even after the ants had penetrated the plastic defences and swarmed the treats. Two days later, a fresh tray was ant-infested even before I opened it. Radisson: best stick to the complimentary fruit plate.

At the pool, loungers are lined up shoulder-to-shoulder and if your neighbours are smoking, tant pis (too bad)! The pool guy will tick you off sharply if you try to take two towels - that wasn't so nice. The infinity pool itself is lovely, however, as is the view of the Atlantic, the lighthouse, and the weirdly Stalinist USD 27 million African Renaissance Monument.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MsQuince
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was my first time in Senegal, I wasn't expecting too much and was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel was beautiful and clean, breakfasts were good, rooms a decent size and the views were quite spectacular. Service was excellent and the staff very friendly (in saying that, I found the Senegalese to be very friendly, hospitable in general. All in all, a very pleasant business trip and hotel stay. My only negative was that the spa was a disaster. In fairness, I think it is independent of the hotel (just affiliated to it by virtue of its location). Pedicure and manicure were sub-standard (manicure lasted about 4 hours)... I stopped the beautician from waxing me as I could see that they were re-using the wax (GROSS)... it was also seriously expensive....

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Myself and 4 coworkers made our way to this hotel when we were stranded in Dakar at 2am after missing our connecting flight. This was my first time in a West African country late at night and without a security detail.
The rooms are nice, the views spectacular (if you don't look too closely at the trash at the beach) and service wonderful.
Made to order omelettes at breakfast and fresh (super fresh, as in barely dead) seafood make the onsite restaurant worthwhile. You will be very glad for the large umbrellas over the outside tables. My friend and I were sitting for lunch when we heard a loud 'thud' and saw a small headless fish bounce to the ground beside our table. The birds grab fish from the fishermen's nets and apparently only like the heads. It was highly amusing, we had a great big laugh.
There is also a shopping mall that connects to the hotel, accessible via a door with your room key which is very handy.
If I every have to be in Dakar again, this will be my hotel.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

from the EAST coast of AFRICA to the WEST coast, after 14 hours of flight, this was a HALLELUYA moment. to die for view, the rooms and its view of the atlantic and the bars and the pool and everything was superb.

The restaurant and my all fav , room service and wifi WAS PAR EXCELLENCE.

NOW this hotel i seriously needed to look for fault but i failed. my first radisson experience, THIS CHAIN HAVE impressed me.!!!!

way to go! i must BRAG of the 17 african countried visited , THIS Hotel is one of the very few, which isnt SPOT ON!

SO all i can do now is PRAY TO ALMIGHTY GOD to grant me another trip to DAKAR, especially RADISSON BLU.

I hope the Radisson Blu is Johannesburg matches up to this one???

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2012

After many business trips to Africa I came to the Radisson Blu in Dakar with 2 colleagues. Apart maybe from the Le Meridien in Douala it's the best Hotel I've enjoyed on the continent. The pool area is nice, the view excellent. Needless to say anything about the rooms and restaurant, the restaurant offers apart from the usual 'international' food senegalese specialities as well. Being french style don't expect any huge breakfasts, both for lunch and dinner the have a full menu and a bar menu (as Pizza's) as well.

Room Tip: Obviously the rooms offering a sea view would be preferable, but if you're there for work it doe...