“Very Nice Hotel”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar Sea Plaza
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Dakar
Reviewed August 21, 2012

For whatever reason you visit Dakar, the Radison Blu is a breath of fresh air!! Very close to the airport, it stands out as an exceptional hotel in the middle of Dakar - which can be intimidating. The rooms are exceptionally clean and 'shiny' and the whole facility is well designed and laid out. The restaurant food is excellent and the staff friendly and accomodating. The infinity pool is next to the ocean and very attractive. Would recommend for business travelers at any time. Did not have time for the spa or fitness facility - but the internet was free!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PapaYankee

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Radisson Blu instantly strikes you as a high end hotel - guards, bellhops, receptionists, and a concierge usher you through the glossy entrance before you even hit the elevators. You have a constant view of the infinity pool overlooking the Atlantic Ocean on the Western side of the hotel, and beautiful people seemingly on an endless vacation lounge about in the various common areas. Staying for work, however, is a surreal experience.
The rooms themselves are large, clean, and very functional, though the lighting is constantly dim, and the thermostat either has the AC blasting or off. A walk-in shower was a welcome sight, but while the sink was pretty, the shallow basin leads to lots of accidental splashing. If the wireless doesn't reach your room, you have the option of plug-in internet instead. A high point for me was free access to the very modern and well-equipped fitness center at the "Buddhattitute spa" next door.
The two downsides were the prices and the perhaps split personality as a vacation resort and business hotel. It costs a good $6 to get coffee at the bar, and don't even ask about the costs of room service. The live jazz quartet poolside is nice if you're sipping a cocktail on the patio, but it's less enjoyable when it loudly fills your room until 11 PM on a daily basis. The connected mall and grocery store were convenient but similarly too expensive. You are otherwise pretty far away from the rest of the city and will have to take cabs to get around (walk out to the street to hail one if you don't want to pay twice as much).
Overall, they treat you well at the Radisson, but the resort atmosphere is not always what you want in a hotel.

Room Tip: The Western side of the hotel has beautiful ocean views, but also loud jazz music.
1  Thank Meghan F
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My friends and I checked in en-route to Cape Verde, we were a group of 18 and 90% of us had no rooms, the reception was cold and hostile. No explanation was given as to the reason for our rooms not being ready. It took two hours to get the rooms. At breakfast the next day one stuff member upon requesting for a cup off tea, promptly told me to ''get my own tea". This is supposed to be a five start hotel...Kindly retrain your stuff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tonnie N
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My friends and i recently vacationed in Dakar enroute to the Cape Verde Islands for my friend's birthday celebrations, and were extremely dissapointed with what we experienced at Radisson Blu Hotel in Dakar...the hotel in itself is beautifully designed, however the splendour is dampened by the extremely mediocre and lacklustre service we received, worsened by the rude attitude consistently displayed by the staff. We were a group of 17 tourists from kenya visiting dakar for the first time and opted to stay at the Radisson.

Shock and horror that there was no one to receive us at the reception and we had to wait for close to 3 hours for our rooms to be ready. No welcome drinks, (as is the custom of any 5 star hotel), no refresher towels ( bear in mind the heat and humidity in dakar and the fact that we had travelled for 9 hours from Nairobi ). Slow turn around time to our orders, actually the staff were taking about 30 minutes to get back with a simple drink order, and at some point a waitress rudely asked one of us to go get her own tea during breakfast. There was not a single bottle of water in the rooms, very surprised at that given that Dakar is in a coastal city with lots of heat and humidity hence water should be a necessity!

The worst part is that we attempted to get in touch with the Vice President, Business Development, Indian Ocean Islands, The Rezidor Hotel Group ( of which Radisson blu is part of ) a Mr Andrew McLachlan, who promised to get back to us within 24 hours...that was a week ago, needless to say we did send him a reminder and we are yet to hear from him..

A clear reflection of how the pathetic standards are entertained from the top leadership.

One thing for sure, no more Radisson Blu for my friends and I, I would rather put up in a shark somewhere and be accorded A1 Service than to stay at the Radiason Blu with gloomy and rude staff and pathetic service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Senje
Reviewed June 19, 2012

As other reviewers have said Radisson Blu Dakar is a top class property. Excellent location, clean, modern, nice rooms - all that one should expect from a 5 star hotel. But what I will most remember it for is the extraordinary lengths the Guest Relations and Front Office staff went to in helping me secure a Senegalese visa when I needed it for a last minute trip to the Dakar Biennale. As a NZ passport holder, I require a Senegalese visa before arrival - and with the nearest Senegalese embassy being Tokyo and only five days notice of my need to travel, I couldn't see how I could secure a visa. A last minute idea of asking Guest Relations at the RBD - made more in desparation than with any real hope - prompted a 'we will definitely try' response. Several Front Office and Guest Relations staff swung into gear, liasing and arranging the necessary 'invitation letter' from the Dak'Art Biennale and co-ordinating all the necessary formalities with the Senegalese bureaucracy. Despite various setbacks and hold-ups, the RB team kept going and, at the eleventh hour, secured me a 'laisser-passer' that enabled me to get a visa at Dakar airport on arrival.In particular, Oumar Ba, Sokhna Fall and Mona Ndiaye provided extraordinary service that went well beyond what I could reasonably expect - and indeed have ever experienced - from a hotel Guest Services department. I can't thank them - and recommend the Radisson Blu Dakar - highly enough.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the bar/pool area are much quieter - particularly along the northern wing. Worth pa...
1  Thank mdbrowne
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've been staying at the Radisson Blu Dakar Hotel for one week now. I'm on buisness and have 2 more weeks left. Upon my initial check in, my plastic key card did not work, had to go to the upstairs desk twice just to get a green light for the door handle. My room was damp and hot when entered and until up to this point it has not cooled below 76. The power has gone out several times in my room(maybe the whole hotel), and on six seperate occasions the circuit breaker has tripped rendering my room dark and hot. The maintenance person took about an hour to get to my room and reset it(first time), now I reset it as needed. BTW this room 202 whiche shares a lobby with anthor room 201. There seems to be no quiet hours here as 4 days this week the music from outside could be heard in the hallway at around 0130! The channel selection is very very limited, although you can choose to pay for additional basic channels. There is frigde in the room that is located in a cabinet, open the cabinet and it is HOT! The fridge barely cools down a drink below normal room temperature. Room Service: Not too bad. They are quick and polite. The one bad thing is, they leave enough toilet tissue for about one days use. It's not a whole role. I'm not paying this room as the government is picking up the tab for it, but would I ever spend the money for this "resort", no. This room is 251 Euro a day...not worth it.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that share a lobby, rooms 202 and 201 share a lobby. I have noisy person next door.
2  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have been staying at the Radisson Blu Dakar Hotel for about 12 nights now. The staff are very friendly and do want to please you. They upgraded me to a sea view room because of the lenght of my stay.
Pros: Caring Staff, Great pool views (infinity pool), mid-way between downtown and the beach areas on the other side, the adjacent mall a plus- especially the Casino grocery store because if you are staying on a longer time basis, you will need to pick up some water, juice etc from the store.
The Conceirge Mona is an excellent asset to the hotel. She really tries to up the standards and cares to follow-up.

Cons: Got water bottle only the first day (why would I not get water bottle everyday? Rate does not change. Very weird)
The food prices are outrageous ($25 for a hamburger) and the quality of the food is just ok.
Maybe it would be worth it if food was more flavorful.
The cleaning crew just cannot get it together. They come by and ask me if I need anything (I have complained several times) but honestly I don't know how to tell them that they didnt' dust, the bathroom is still dirty and they didn't change the sheets again!). Shouldn't they be doing this on a daily basis?
Can get really loud music with all the events they have on the weekends.
Can't use the spa facilites w/out a charge

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are great.