“Ohhh Africa” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 88 Dakar B&B and Inns
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Ohhh Africa”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

My agent checked me in....agent...hahahahhaa. Anyway, he bought himself a big lunch while I watched him eat it, conscious of the fact my passport was sat on the reception counter with the door wide open and nobody there. Then an hour later I was shown to my room. It was OK. I was tired so I stretched out in my bed. The next thing I knew there was a gentlemen in my room opening the safe. A European chap. He apologised and said he'd been in the room before but forgotten to take the safe contents. Right, that's OK then.... Had a great meal but headed to bed approaching ten. The reception rang and asked if the cleaner could come in. I was in bed. Not sure what the cleaner wanted exactly, your guess is as good as mine, but given my obvious concern on the phone the receptionist came upstairs to see everything was OK. The cleaner wandered around the room opening doors and bedside drawers as the receptionist muttered about tablets. The night is not yet over....The evening meal was fabulous, by the way...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Families
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

This unassuming hotel is one of the best hotels I've stayed in West Africa. The service is outstanding - every member of staff went above and beyond to help with every small request, including finding appropriate packaging for my painting. Great location near the Place l'independance, good breakfast and high standard rooms. The bar has a feel of old world French glamour.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dordrecht, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for the second time, and both times are excellent. This hotel i will highly recommended to everyone. Thanks to the great hotel staff who make my stay very comfertable.
Nice rooms, good restaurant, excellent service, free wireless internet, good location downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Oliveira do Bairro, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have stayed in this particular Hotel and I can only say good thing about the Hotel and their staff.
The hotel is located at downtown and is ideal if you are in Dakar for Business.
They have a great restaurant and just to give you an example.... I had a business meal in a restaurant near the area of the embassies like you may guess it was a fancy and trendy place. I did a test ....I had the same dish at the hotel and the restaurant I guess what, the Hotel's tasted better and the portion was the double.
If you are looking for a Hotel for business this is the place to be.... and for a honest price ...

This is a Hotel for business man to stay......

If you don't like something....... just ask they will do their best to help you for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Staff is very well qualified an motivated. Management and staff do everything to make you feel comfortable. Good kitche n, good atmosphere. Next time we go back to astoria and join the wonderfull service. By the way, making a judvgement of over 200 signs is too much,I've written what must be written and i continue writing while my judgement will not be published.

• Stayed February 2013
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Stayed for Business purpose in June 2011

Plus:
- Refurbished premises, good size and quality (new management)
- clean rooms, with acceptable queen size beds, and convenient bathroom
- internet access (Wifi) free of charge at time of visit,
- price (good when comparing to poor experience I had in the near neighbourhood)
- convenient for business purpose and very good alternative price wise to the Giant International Resorts
- central location for both port/harbour access and walking distance to downtown
- good food for money, and
- sympathetic, attending and extremely servicing crew & officers

Minus:
- lack of advertisement on the web (known as B&B)... which is good as there is always a possibility of room availability
- tiny front room desk, but after passing the doors, you enter into a real oasis…
- Lack of extra facilities, no swimming pool and the like, vut do we need this when on bizz-trip

Neutral:
- Smokers are invited to enjoy their needs in the inner garden of the premises...

Comparable to 3* to 4* facility
All staff and officers are smiling and very serviceable...
You shall feel there just like at home...
Definitely I shall stay there again !!!

Stayed on June 2011, and travelled on business purpose

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tsufu
Dakar, Senegal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I landed in Dakar at 4am - it was dark and clammy. I had booked online for the La Brazzerade which claimed to have free airport shuttle service but upon calling I was told to get a taxi!
After getting the taxi - we got to La Brazzerade and I was very unpleasantly surprised - unwelcoming, dark, with a chair wedging the door closed and a nasty smoky smell. They had no record of my booking - which was PAID for. I appealed to my very helpful taxi driver to take me downtown to find a hotel.
We stopped at 5 different hotels but they had no rooms and were cold and unfriendly. Then we stopped at the Hotel Astoria - it was now 6am - still dark and dank and I was immediately welcomed. They had just one room but the gentleman could see that I was tired, depressed and desperate. He gave me the room but explained that I would have to move later that day.
From the outside the hotel looks really small and unassuming - but WOW! The rooms are just charming and cool and comfortable.
The restaurant is truly an oasis and the attention to every detail is remarkable. The owner and the manager enquired if I was comfortable. I asked for advice on where to get a local sim card and another young English speaking lady named Mary was quickly called to assist me. Within 5min they brought me one without even asking for payment. The manager gave me his card and insisted that I call him if I needed any assistance or if I was having any trouble. I needed an adapter for my laptop and Mary went out of her way again to assist. I just felt like I was in a safe place and in safe hands.
A day that started of really badly ended up being a lovely lovely experience thanks to the fantastic hospitality of the Hotel Astoria.

Dani Ndebele - South Africa