“Motel 6”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Avoca
Avoca, Iowa
“Motel 6”
Reviewed February 23, 2010

As an over the road trucker, I was treated in a very friendly and courteous manner. Very helpful with answering my questions and meeting my needs! ***** Five stars all around!

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Denver
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Compared to Sarah's description/complaints, I had an eerily similar experience. Small room, rags for towels, nasty bedding, and a bathroom that needed remodeled - with a decent shower head on the long list of needed upgrades. On the positive side, the wifi was okay, the front desk guy was nice (looked a bit too much like Tom Bodett), and the ice machine kept on churning out ice so that I could chill the whiskey which I drank to forget that I was stuck in a crap hole. As an aside, I believe that this was the better of the 4 motels in the immediate area, which explains the title of my review.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Monee, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I stayed here one night while making my way home from Montana. This motel is excellent, one of the nicest places I've stayed in my eight days of travel. The place looks new, not old at all.
Check in was simple and the man (owner?) at the front desk was very helpful. He told me what Motel 6 offered. Pool, laundry, free coffee, ice, etc, and even walked me over to show me my room and even where to park my motorcycle.
The room was excellent. Clean, roomy and a nice big shower, tub. Beds were firm and comfortable. Thermostat on the wall for a/c and heat.
There's a Subway right next door to the motel as well. Other food choices I noticed were across the roadway and after a long day on the bike I settled for Subway which was fine.
Upon checkout I left my cell phone on the bed and the man from the front desk ran out and gave it to me before I left. Great service!
Don't believe the negative's about this place. I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Aerowing
West Coast
Reviewed July 28, 2009

The Motel 6 experience is not for everyone. Don't expect down blankets or designer comforters or even a full sized tub. These hotels are designed for people who are traveling from A to B and need a clean place to stay for the night. If I were traveling with my girlfriend, I would probably splurge for something nicer. Having said that, this was one of the better "in the middle of nowhere" motels that I have stayed in.

The owner of the Avoca Motel 6 was at the front desk when I checked in. He was friendly, polite and efficient.

My room, which was on the 2nd floor, looked relatively clean. The carpet felt a bit gritty. (Bring flip-flops.) The TV which was on the small side had a decent selection of channels. I was able to hear doors being opened and closed, but it was not frequent enough to be annoying. The parking lot seemed pretty full by 10pm, but the motel did not feel crowded or noisy. The motel has a pool which I did not use. It did seem, that the two families with young kids who were using it, seemed to be happy with the facility.

I did not see very much in Avoca beside the Motel 6, a gas station/Subway, and a family owned truck stop. I was told that the food there was good, but did not try it myself. The restaurant does not take credit cards.

There is ample parking for cars in the "front" of the motel and a relatively large lot in the back for large trucks and those traveling with trailers.

This particular Motel 6 does not give AAA discounts, so it is not on the TripTik website.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Boulder, CO
Reviewed July 14, 2008

This was the last night of a 5,000 mile road trip from Colorado to the East Coast and back. Accommodations along the I-80 corridor in this part of Iowa are few and far between. We chose the Avoca Motel because it was next door to The Embers bar and resturant, whereas the slightly fancier motels across the freeway did not have a restaurant close by.

I was a little apprehensive, as the outside of the building was somewhat rundown, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room had two double beds with two reading lights in between, refrigerator, microwave (with popcorn), coffee maker, free HBO and a good free wi-fi connection. Bathroom standard motel room size, but the shower was good. Four sets of towels of acceptable quality, and soap, but no shampoo etc. The room and bathroom were a little worn, but everything was very clean. Walls not soundproof, but I think most people staying were travelling and needed an early night. We paid $43 plus tax for two.

Embers restaurant was typical mid-western fare - beers were $2.50, and later we had a couple of glasses of wine plus the walleye special and onion rings for about $38.00. Much better than fast food. No food at the tiny Avoca Motel of course, but I think The Embers opened early in the morning.

I certainly wouldn't make a special trip here, but would not hesitate to stay again should the circumstances dictate.

• Liked — Good value and convenient location
  • Disliked — Looked a little run down
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nevada
Reviewed May 22, 2008

We were driving across the US and stopped in Avoca IA for the night, at the Motel 6. We had a dog and a cat with us, the attendant made an exception to their "one pet policy" for us, after telling me some VERY interesting stories about some of their pet policies (one of them involved a Siberian tiger). The hotel was clean, well managed, had a nice pool and in a good location off the interstate. Across the road is a nice Truck stop with all the amentities you would need on a trip, including a Taco John's. It looks like a Subway and cofffee shop are going in beside it too. If you are in the area near the end of the day on a trip, a good place to rest for the night.

• Liked — It took pets
  • Disliked — No problems with it
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Day ten of our drive around the states.

Motel felt brand new. Very clean room extremely helpful staff..

Interior corridor.

Everything worked in the room.

No food but free coffee in the lobby. There is a truck stop opposite for meals though which is handy.

• Stayed September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avoca
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Avoca
Capri Motel
Capri Motel
#3 of 3 in Avoca
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Walnut

Been to Motel 6 Avoca? Share your experiences!