All reviews air conditioning mille collines within walking distance small hotel water pressure comfortable bed internet connection mosquito net the hotel staff hotel rwanda business trip
Selected filters
Reviewed July 21, 2016

The location is very central and easy walking distance to good restaurants in Kiyovu. The decor is modern and the rooms are well equipped. Above all, the best thing about this hotel is the staff. When i went for a run, the person at the front desk gave me great directions for where to go, then when I got back to the hotel, was waiting for me with a glass of water. The check in (late at night) and check out were also seemless. Highly recommend to others.

Room tip: Rooms right next to the parking lot are a bit noisier as the guards are based there and you can hear them talking early in the morning.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
YannickBola, Manager at 5 Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2017

Thank you for sharing your impressions about our hotel,

We are really glad you have appreciated our location, decor and most of all our staff as we strive to make our visitors feel as comfortable as possible.

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and for recommending our house to others. And look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed July 1, 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights before going to the DRC. It wasn't a problem for an airport taxi to find the place, and it was about $15 and 20 - 30 min from the airport. The rooms are simple but spotless and comfortable, we chose a cheaper room on the "town side" (which is basically a parking lot) but the rooms on the garden side have a much nicer view. Didn't really matter for us since we didn't spend much time in the room. Breakfast was quite good, and the garden area with the restaurant is leafy and beautiful. The location is a short walk to the Mille Collines hotel or Heaven hotel/restaurant, and perfectly safe to walk back at night. Most positive were the staff, who helped me book a taxi and personally went to the bus station to purchase tickets for me. Really appreciated it!

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
YannickBola, Manager at 5 Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share this delightful review.
We are glad you have appreciated your experience with us.

Delivering an excellent service in a clean, comfortable and quiet environment is our utmost priority and we are thankful that you have experienced it.

We are delighted to read your compliments on our staff who make every effort possible to be of help. And hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed June 15, 2016

Stayed here for two nights whilst visiting Kigali. The hotel is located centrally, just across the way from the Hotel de Mille Colline.

The 5 Swiss was clean and convenient. Good rooms with aircon. Breakfast good and staff efficient and friendly.

Room tip: Some rooms have views over the city, others of the carpark...
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
YannickBola, Manager at 5 Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2016

Dear Mr Peter,

Thank you for the kind words following your recent stay at 5 Swiss Hotel.

We are happy you have appreciated our location, cleanliness and the services provided.
I have passed on your feedback to our team and we hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Best regards.

Reviewed June 6, 2016

This boutique hotel exceeded my expectations. Room very pleasant with a fan. Staff well trained and nothing was too much trouble. Location excellent if you need to be based in the city centre. Food absolutely fine. Wifi reliable.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
YannickBola, Manager at 5 Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2016

Dear KrissySAUK,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased we have exceeded your expectations and that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Especially, thank you for appreciating and pointing out our location, food quality, staff and services.

We really aim to provide a serene environment with a great service and the all team will be encouraged by your positive comments.

We really hope to welcome you again soon and provide you with even better service.

Reviewed May 19, 2016 via mobile

The 5 Swiss is a small hotel with some 20 odd rooms, located in a nice area, near the famous Mille Collines. Some of them have a half decent view of surrounding houses and a small garden, while some face the parking lot. My room was at eye level of the parking lot so I had to keep the curtains drawn all the time. The windows do not have translucent sheers, for privacy. The room was very clean, with an excellent shower and loo. It had very good air conditioning as well as a table fan, but that was not working. There was no dressing table, just a small table and chair with a desk lamp. The minibar fridge was quite decently stocked, but usual high prices. There was a large cupboard but no mirror. The bed was very comfortable with clean sheets and pillow cases and a nice warm blanket.(too warm at times). There was a medium sized TV which offered a few select channels, including sports and news, too. There were some mosquitos in the room, but after the staff sprayed the room, I was fine. There was a mosquito net but I always find those claustrophobic. The corridor leading to the room always had a few mossies flying around and the cleaners always left the door open while cleaning, so they were always back. I guess when you are in Africa, you should get used to them, but somehow they always get attracted to me..!! Luckily, there's no malaria in Kigali.
The bar and dining area were airy and had a decent view, but the neighbours were a little noisy sometimes. The barman/chef was very friendly and eager to learn and please. All the staff were polite, always smiling and ever helpful. There was free wifi throughout the hotel, but sometimes their routers had to be reset to get access. The A la Carte menu was quite simple, with decent prices but drinks were very expensive by African standards. Breakfast was simple enough with eggs made to order, beans, mushrooms, potatoes, cold cuts and cheeses, fruits, yogurt, etc but they had a great coffee machine which gave you whatever type of coffee you wanted. Good choice of coffee bean, too.
In terms of value for money, this hotel is an excellent deal, especially for business travelers who need a good bed and a decent shower at the end of the day. It's definitely not in the five star category, but I would definitely stay here again, albeit asking for one of the rooms with a garden view...!

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Preeyesh

Dear Mr Preeyesh,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel and services.

I am glad to learn you had an overall pleasant stay with us and that you will be coming to stay with us again.

I have taken note of the comments in regard to the mirror, indeed some rooms do have a mirror on the cupboard but some don't. But this will be discussed and will probably be fixed soon.
Mosquitoes do have the tendency of slipping into a room each time the door opens, but we really do a lot to reduce their nuisance, including regular fumigation of the premises, use of repellent spray on request, mosquito plug, mosquito net, and rooms are constantly check to ensure there are no cracks...
I am sorry you found our drinks expensive. We really try to align our prices to the market while keeping them competitive. I will inquire with the concerned department about a review of the prices.
Also it is unfortunate that the table fan in the room did not work. We will study the issue and add another layer of verification to prevent this from happening again.

Thank you for pointing out the cleanliness of our rooms and facilities.
We are also glad you enjoyed our coffee and that our staff provided you with a good service.

Again, thank you very much for the kind, fair and detailed review.
I will make sure it is shared with the rest of the team.

We look forward to welcoming you again.