“Deeply moving”
Review of Ntarama Church

Ranked #4 of 62 things to do in Kigali
More attraction details
Owner description: This site of the April 1994 massacre has been declared a genocide memorial. It remains a solemn tribute to those who were slain, the bones and belongings of the dead still lying among the aisles and the altar.
Reviewed August 28, 2011

A very sad place, but necessary to visit to understand what happened in Rwanda in 1994.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Totally heartbreaking, everyone should visit this site to pay their respects to all of the souls here.

Reviewed January 11, 2011

I agree with others. A must see along with Nyamata Church and Kigali Memorial Centre. Deeply moving. An experience you'll never forget.

Reviewed December 20, 2010

In terms of practicalities, I did not take a tour and relied on Bradt's guide (page 113) to see both Nyamata and Ntarama churches, which are around 10km apart so this is a review on how to get there rather than what is there which has been covered in earlier reviews.

GETTING THERE: I picked up a Sotra Tour bus from central Kigali, which leave for Nyamata every half an hour. Central Kigali is very small so wander around and you will spot one road with all the various local white mini buses picking up people. Rwanda is an extremely friendly country and despite being on my own and the only tourist about, everyone made sure I bought the correct ticket (Rfr 600 each way) and stood in the correct place for the bus. The mini bus seats 12 people ...it is clean, modern if a bit cosy! The bus took 40 mins to get to Nyamata on really good paved roads. Once there, there are various motorbikes and bicycles to get a lift on. It should be noted that I seem to be a novelty and everyone stared! I also didn't see too much in the way of signposting so I wouldn't walk it.

NYAMATA: From the bus drop off I got a lift on the back of a bicycle (they have a saddle at the back) for about £2 to the church. It took 15 mins. The church itself was shocking and I had to catch my breath. I was on my own so the experience was something I will remember for the rest of my life. Both memorials have clear glass boxes where you make a donation (Bradt suggests $5-$10 as the memorials depend on this)

NTARAMA: My bike boy got me back to the bus pick up and then I picked up another bike boy to ride out to Ntarama (I would say 10km one way for $5 return) ...I was getting the hang of being a passenger at this stage much to the amusement of the locals. At Ntarama, I was shown around by an English speaking guide, which was far worse I didn't want to cry in front of her but it was the worse thing I've seen or heard. I made a donation in the clear glass box and also signed their book.

The bike boy then transferred me back to the bus stop and the Rwandans were again, really helpful and ensured I took the right bus back to Kigali.

I recommend seeing these two churches first before visiting the Kigali genocide museum in Kigali ....you'll know why once you have been there.

9  Thank Catherine_London
Reviewed November 15, 2009

This is a smaller, but by no means no less important church than the Kigali Nyamata Church. because of its size, it makes you even more acutely aware of the tragedy that has occurred there. Makes you appreciate the work being done daily in Rwanda in making this wonderful nation move forward without forgetting its past.

1  Thank lottastrom