“every one should come here”

Kigali Genocide Memorial
3-Day Rwanda Gorilla Safari
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Kigali
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A permanent National genocide memorial in remembrance of more than one million victims of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi. The memorial is a place of remembrance and learning where more than 250,000 victims of the Genocide have been laid to rest. Many people who lost loved ones in the Genocide visit to remember and grieve. There is no entrance fee and donations are gratefully accepted.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

It's just a mandatory visit. important, emotional experience. I'd return here with my daughter, 100%. I'd recommend it especially for youngsters to learn from Rwandan and other genocides to prevent such horror in future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,262)
All reviews
"rwandan history"
in 31 reviews
"beautiful country"

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I admit that I didn't know much about the Rwandan genocide until my visit here in 2009. I learnt so much about the unspeakable horror that was inflicted upon this country. You can pay to hire some headphones and have a wander around on your own which is what I did. There is a room full of bones found after the massacre, my friend studied Archeology at university so it particularly upset here to see which were children's bones. All in all, it was very harrowing and educational and a real eye opener. Angelina Jolie was here recently, I would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This should be a mandatory visit for anyone coming to Rwanda. A haunting reminder of an unimaginable horror. It's a tough visit but helps provide context for the remarkable reconciliation that followed. We can all learn from Rwanda

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Walking through the museum and seeing the pictures and watching the video testimonies is hard to put into words. Walking through the section with all the children just grabs your heart.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 3, 2013

What a beautiful place for such a tragic reminder. I am so pleased I had this experience. We heard news of the genocide when it was happening and thought it was so horrible, but not until you are faced with the actual brutality and walk around the mass grave memorial grounds does the true horror strike. As we were there a family group arrived to lay huge arrangements of flowers on the mass grave area. This centre is beautifully cared for. I don't there was a dry eye exiting the Centre. I sure cried buckets (and still do). An absolute must to visit but be prepared for a very emotional journey. They have roses there and I thought it was nice to buy one and lay it on the mass grave memorial before you leave.